Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 3:50 pm

I do doubt because since I've been diagnosed I know what my problems were are I have adapted how I do things and practiced a lot so now it seems like I'm not on the spectrum.
I'm not sure if I really have ASD. Maybe I was not taught how to behave and not taught coping mechanisms when young so I have to learn it now.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 6:28 pm

Yes, there is improvement over time, but the base symptomology is still present. When I was inpatient for bipolar, one of the doctors went over EVERYTHING in my file including some old childhood psych reports in there. She came to the conclusion that I had Asperger's but it was not as apparent as an adult, but I have had friends and family think I have AS actually. When I questioned my best friend she started crying and said "OMG she didn't know!" When I went to the ER recently for a possible meltdown, after explaining my symptoms the ER doc called mental health and said "does she have Asperger's or something?"

I feel more sure now than ever, but if mental health doesn't acknowledge that, I'm not sure again!

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 12:57 pm

I definitely do, because in some ways, I don't present the "classic" ASD traits, so like some of the others in this thread, I wonder if it's really ASD or a combination of other factors that, when combined, very closely mimic ASDs. And yet, if you were to give me the DSM-V definition and a list of traits for each diagnostic requirement, I would still meet the ASD criteria. So I guess I'll never know for sure until psychiatrists come up with a more objective screening method.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 1:51 pm

Angnix wrote:
There seems to be lots of evidence that I have some sort of ASD, but.... I still doubt. As a kid, I had severe meltdowns, social skills so bad that they put me in counseling for it, and I memorized bird field guides. As an adult, I still have meltdowns and even a couple of shutdowns before, still crazy about birds, I stim, my husband is constantly trying to get me to "put myself in other's shoes" using that terminology with little knowledge of AS, etc...

But I look people in the eyes... and little things like that. There was even an attempt to diagnose me but I still doubt. But if it is not AS what's wrong? Do you still doubt?

Go to the doctor and find out. Having AS doesn't have to change your life. I was diagnosed in middle age and nothing changed for me except it made me understand some things about myself that I didn't know before. It helped me realize why I had meltdowns and that it wasn't temper, nor my fault. I can now recognize when one is coming on, and I know what brings them on and I can either avoid it or just walk away and get some alone time.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com