rowan county [KY] court clerk defies supreme court

Page 9 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 12:33 pm

I'll state my thoughts on this. It's one thing to not do something based on personal principle yet, the way I see it is all people on this entire planet regardless of gender choice or marriages deserves humanity first and foremost. Therefore, I think the clerk was in the wrong. Auntblabby, if your reading this I'd like to point out that not all homosexual citizens always choose to live in bigoted territory or place of residence. Yes, I'm heterosexual however, I think all persons deserve to be treated humanely by all accounts so, denying the rights of someone when it has been observed as being lawful is just being something out of the "Dark Ages". That's right it's time to string up kazanscube for speaking heresy. Anyways, I hope that I provided a coherent & decent point within this topic?

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 12:38 pm

It's now the law of the land. Irregardless of our beliefs, it's still the law. If she was honest, she would resign. And I'm writing this from the perspective of a heterosexual, mainstream Christian. " Render unto Caesar those things that are Caesar's..........".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 3:38 pm

kazanscube wrote:
I'll state my thoughts on this. It's one thing to not do something based on personal principle yet, the way I see it is all people on this entire planet regardless of gender choice or marriages deserves humanity first and foremost. Therefore, I think the clerk was in the wrong. Auntblabby, if your reading this I'd like to point out that not all homosexual citizens always choose to live in bigoted territory or place of residence. Yes, I'm heterosexual however, I think all persons deserve to be treated humanely by all accounts so, denying the rights of someone when it has been observed as being lawful is just being something out of the "Dark Ages". That's right it's time to string up kazanscube for speaking heresy. Anyways, I hope that I provided a coherent & decent point within this topic?

right on :wtg:

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2015, 10:49 pm

I resent the negative talk about Kentucky. I'm from rural Kentucky, a place very much like Rowan County. I grew up in a fundamentalist church. If you grew up in our culture you would understand. Fundamentalist Cristians make up a majority of the population, and I hate to say it but racists make up a good proportion if not the majority of the population. This is her religious belief and in her social context she is normal. The reason the state government is not stepping in is because people like her make up such a large part of the electorate.

We kentuckians are not inbred or illiterate. But the culture in Kentucky tends to be very socially conservative. It's not going to change just because mainstream America changes.

I too think Kim Davis is wrong. I left Kentucky because of the racism and left the church because of the homophobic teachings. But I understand where Kim Davis is coming from. I also understand where her supporters are coming from. In many cases they truly believe America will be cursed because the government allows gay marriage and see themselves as fighting for what's right. If the fundamentalist church was your only source of information about religion (as is the case in many parts of Kentucky) you would probably be homophobic too. You wouldn't be around anybody who would seriously challenge that viewpoint unless you voluntarily moved to another part of the country.

I think this issue will ultimately be resolved in favor of gay marriage, but Kim Davis probably won't change and the millions of people who think like her won't change either. Thousands of years of homophobia aren't going to be eradicated with a Supreme Court decision. People aren't going to give up their deeply held religious beliefs based on a Supreme Court decision either.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 9:29 am

I don't think it matters what Kentucky is like. No one is trying to make her change her views. All we care about is that she quit her job since she can't legally do it. Then put someone there who can do the job. Pretty simple solution...

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 2:18 pm

Well I care about what people say about my home state. We are not ignorant rubes and hicks. The way Kentucky and Appalachia has been described by some people in this trad exemplifies the same judgemental, self-righteous, and ignorance that several posters criticize Kim Davis for. It's okay to disagree with someone but not to character assassinate them or insult a whole region of the country.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 5:19 pm

em_tsuj wrote:
Fundamentalist Cristians make up a majority of the population, and I hate to say it but racists make up a good proportion if not the majority of the population. This is her religious belief and in her social context she is normal.

...and this is why AS is in the DSM but extreme Fundamentalist Christianity isn't; the religious exclusion for mental illnesses. If something doesn't cause a problem for someone "in their local culture" then...it is no longer a break with reality, no matter how bizarre or harmful to others a set of "sincerely held" irrational beliefs may be.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 6:05 pm

I wonder if long-haired effeminate men/short haired butch women would get harassed walking down the street there?

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 10:21 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I wonder if long-haired effeminate men/short haired butch women would get harassed walking down the street there?

Perhaps. Perhaps not. There are a lot of social conservatives who hate anybody who violates traditional gender norms but not everybody is like that. I think what Kim Davis and others like her represent is the terror many feel because their traditional way of life is becoming irrelevant even in conservative strongholds like Appalachia. Minorities are claiming their rights and they are powerless to do anything about it. The old authorities have lost their power to oppress people and people who believe in the old ways can't take it. I think that the more marginalized these people become, the more desperate acts we will see.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 11:01 pm

I would not feel safe there.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2015, 12:15 am

em_tsuj wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Perhaps. Perhaps not. There are a lot of social conservatives who hate anybody who violates traditional gender norms but not everybody is like that. I think what Kim Davis and others like her represent is the terror many feel because their traditional way of life is becoming irrelevant even in conservative strongholds like Appalachia. Minorities are claiming their rights and they are powerless to do anything about it. The old authorities have lost their power to oppress people and people who believe in the old ways can't take it. I think that the more marginalized these people become, the more desperate acts we will see.

As one with Asperger's, how do you think Aspies are treated there?

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2015, 4:01 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
em_tsuj wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

As one with Asperger's, how do you think Aspies are treated there?

Okay, if you are from there. People take care of their own.