rowan county [KY] court clerk defies supreme court

Page 9 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 6:05 pm

I wonder if long-haired effeminate men/short haired butch women would get harassed walking down the street there?

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 10:21 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I wonder if long-haired effeminate men/short haired butch women would get harassed walking down the street there?

Perhaps. Perhaps not. There are a lot of social conservatives who hate anybody who violates traditional gender norms but not everybody is like that. I think what Kim Davis and others like her represent is the terror many feel because their traditional way of life is becoming irrelevant even in conservative strongholds like Appalachia. Minorities are claiming their rights and they are powerless to do anything about it. The old authorities have lost their power to oppress people and people who believe in the old ways can't take it. I think that the more marginalized these people become, the more desperate acts we will see.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 11:01 pm

I would not feel safe there.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2015, 12:15 am

em_tsuj wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Perhaps. Perhaps not. There are a lot of social conservatives who hate anybody who violates traditional gender norms but not everybody is like that. I think what Kim Davis and others like her represent is the terror many feel because their traditional way of life is becoming irrelevant even in conservative strongholds like Appalachia. Minorities are claiming their rights and they are powerless to do anything about it. The old authorities have lost their power to oppress people and people who believe in the old ways can't take it. I think that the more marginalized these people become, the more desperate acts we will see.

As one with Asperger's, how do you think Aspies are treated there?

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2015, 4:01 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
em_tsuj wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

As one with Asperger's, how do you think Aspies are treated there?

Okay, if you are from there. People take care of their own.