rowan county [KY] court clerk defies supreme court

Page 1 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 7:58 pm

that hypocrite court clerk [divorced 4 times] is still refusing to issue marriage licenses to gay couples, but she DID issue one to a (clicky)transgender couple!. I suspect her circle of friends will insure that she continues to collect her $80k salary while she just sits on her tuckas pontificating about her religion. she is also refusing to allow other clerks to issue marriage licenses on pain of firing. if a contempt of court citation puts her in jail until the heat death of the universe it will still be insufficient punishment AFAIC.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 11:03 pm

Rowan county being what it is, she has certainly issued marriage licenses to guys who are marrying their sister.

For their part, the ACLU lawyers are pushing for fines, not jail time.

Her lawyers are probably praying for a good photo op of her being forcibly dragged to jail, so they can rally fund raising over oppression of religious freedom.

She has been summoned to answer contempt of court charges on Thursday morning, as have her staff. Reportedly, most of her staff share her views, one staffer remains ambiguous, and one staffer has no problems with issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

I'm sure that her tell-all book is already mostly ghostwritten.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 11:13 pm

what an awful person. but just the same, why are those gay couples insisting on living where they are hated? I woulda fled that inner circle of hick hell long ago, with just the shirt on my back.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 11:21 pm

auntblabby wrote:
what an awful person. but just the same, why are those gay couples insisting on living where they are hated? I woulda fled that inner circle of hick hell long ago, with just the shirt on my back.

The point is that in a free country, they don't have to.

They aren't required or expected to justify their decision to live anywhere they please and use the public services available to all wherever they happen to be.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 11:24 pm

Also i feel bad for the TG couple. Hateful rednecks are going to send child protective services after them for everything and nothing.

And probably hateful social workers are going to hassle them on principle.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 11:27 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

The point is that in a free country, they don't have to. They aren't required or expected to justify their decision to live anywhere they please and use the public services available to all wherever they happen to be.

touché. they are heroes for putting up with that ignorance and being the leading edge of the spear of justice. :star:

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 1:22 am

She needs to be jailed, as well as removed from her position as county clerk. I understand the stance of religious freedom, but as a public employee you have no right to throw that card, you do your job or you should face the consequences. You're in no position to stand on belief here. Your duty is clear and must be carried out without prejudice. Religious freedom has no place in government, you're there to serve the people despite your personal beliefs. It seems that some people don't understand that and will, hypocritically, place their "freedom" above the freedoms of others, totally ignoring the freedom that this country was founded upon, all in the name of religion...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 1:38 am

I suspect she wouldn't know god if god bit her. whenever she says god made her do it, it is really HER hypocritical self that is making her do it. there is nothing in any constitution which establishes a religious test in order to qualify for taxpayer-provided government services, or for equal protection under the law for that matter.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 9:54 am

Why are we wasting bandwidth improving the Q-scores of this woman so that she can cash in on the rabid right wing rubber chicken speakers' circuit next year as the poster girl for Christian Oppression (tm)?

She is in contempt. She will be fined--not one dollar of which will come out of her own pocket. The gofundme campaign will syphon off large sums of money to her and she will jet around the United States next year telling anyone who will listen about how she is a martyr for the cause.

She should go to that special oblivion reserved for mediocrities, instead of being lionized.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 10:01 am

What I don't get is why an elected official cannot be 'fired' if they break the law as this woman is obviously doing.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 11:27 am

Dantac wrote:
What I don't get is why an elected official cannot be 'fired' if they break the law as this woman is obviously doing.

She can be impeached or recalled by election but those are unlikely to happen.

I believe gofundme has instituted a policy disallowing fundraisers for legal costs, fines, etc.

She will still have donors, but not as many

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 4:23 pm

she disgusts me. :eew: did you see the way she sneered at that couple? what a self-righteous religious snob.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 11:10 pm

auntblabby wrote:
she disgusts me. :eew: did you see the way she sneered at that couple? what a self-righteous religious snob.

A lot of christians want to be the christ that casts the bankers out of the temple.

But it's never bankers, and it's never the temple.

And frankly, I'm pretty sure that only the christ gets to do that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 11:23 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

A lot of christians want to be the christ that casts the bankers out of the temple. But it's never bankers, and it's never the temple. And frankly, I'm pretty sure that only the christ gets to do that.

a lot of so-called xtians were and are on the side of the moneylenders and hucksters.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 11:25 pm

she turned down yet another couple with the same derisive sneer and air of sanctimony. I wonder if she'll manage to skate by tomorrow morning in front of the judge.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 11:54 pm

I hear that the japanese have a saying that goes something like, "Big poop. Little bowl."