So, I found out there's no universities here due to Tories

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 4:05 am

Not only have I recently found out the area where I happened to (by chance) end up in happens to be the largest area in the UK with the most population with no unis (this is when much smaller Bath has two)... I found out that the Labour candidate wanted one (who was an MP before I arrived, though there was never enough time to complete a uni)... all the Tory MP cares about is his career, apparently, and banning all rationality... all reasonable when somehow they'd deliberately cancel any plans on a uni.

So, that's the only reason I'm just frustrated for it seems all eternity... how can I ever repay these bastards? Not only do I disagree with all their selfish policies (oh come on, they appointed a f*****g aristocrat as a chancellor) - they're the main reason my life is in limbo.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Sep 2015, 5:49 am

Whilst the courses may be limited, consider studying at Wiltshire College or the Oxford Brookes campus in Swindon.

I think it's a little bit simplistic to blame the Tories for the University of Swindon never being realised.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 6:18 am

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swindon#Higher_education - they were mothballed straight after they took over, what can I then conclude from that?

slave
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 1:15 pm

Mootoo wrote:
Not only have I recently found out the area where I happened to (by chance) end up in happens to be the largest area in the UK with the most population with no unis (this is when much smaller Bath has two)... I found out that the Labour candidate wanted one (who was an MP before I arrived, though there was never enough time to complete a uni)... all the Tory MP cares about is his career, apparently, and banning all rationality... all reasonable when somehow they'd deliberately cancel any plans on a uni.

So, that's the only reason I'm just frustrated for it seems all eternity... how can I ever repay these bastards? Not only do I disagree with all their selfish policies (oh come on, they appointed a f*****g aristocrat as a chancellor) - they're the main reason my life is in limbo.

Would a 'Distance Learning'/Online University be an option for you?

That would negate the lack of physical proximity issue and allow you to pursue tertiary education.

I, actually know a man who lives in Canada who did his MSc degree through an Online University in the UK.

He remained at home the entire time.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 3:38 pm

I just don't have enough resources for that, when it comes to psychology (ironically the subject I'd want to study...) - spending 165 hours alone are difficult enough on one's own... a degree all alone could be a bit much, although I have read that OU can extend them to many years, possibly spreading out the stress... still, if I happen to need to meet a deadline and suddenly people start kicking balls against my flat... there wouldn't be any outcomes off that, except perhaps more stress than I already randomly seem to have...

slave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 8:30 pm

Mootoo wrote:
I just don't have enough resources for that, when it comes to psychology (ironically the subject I'd want to study...) - spending 165 hours alone are difficult enough on one's own... a degree all alone could be a bit much, although I have read that OU can extend them to many years, possibly spreading out the stress... still, if I happen to need to meet a deadline and suddenly people start kicking balls against my flat... there wouldn't be any outcomes off that, except perhaps more stress than I already randomly seem to have...

Is the OU you looked into more expensive than the conventional physical universities?
I assumed they would be similar in cost, but I may be in error.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 7:11 am

It may be less, expense isn't my primary problem, though... (the UK's system is dysfunctional to the max...)

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 9:13 am

The OU is may not be such a well respected degree, at least not when I was younger. However, it certainly does entail a lot of work from somebody who has a full-time job. I was used by a lot of teachers when the law was changed so they had to be graduates.

It was originally founded by Harold Wilson. No bias, that's just a fact. I can't recall any other universities who were offering that kind of correspondence and part-time, tutored local tuition.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 11:47 am

Mootoo wrote:
It may be less, expense isn't my primary problem, though... (the UK's system is dysfunctional to the max...)

Oic, sry when you said 'resources' I assumed you meant the cost of the education.
:oops: :oops: