Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CBRVA83
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Sep 2015, 8:13 pm

Does anyone on here watch the Disney Channel teen sitcom "Girl Meets World" (which is a spinoff show from the 90's ABC teen sitcom "Boy Meets World")? Because on Friday, September 11th, the show will do an episode about Asperger Syndrome in which one of its teen characters Farkle Minkus (the son of Stuart Minkus and Jennifer Bassett Minkus, both of them from BMW) might have AS. http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/0 ... 11/457136/

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Sep 2015, 11:54 am

It's one of the shows on our DVR. The girlfriend's guilty pleasure. I might have to watch this one with her. Definitely nervous about the whole idea of the episode, though. Hopefully they are following good advice from the experts they brought in to consult.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2015, 8:01 am

I watch it occasionally but will make sure to DVR it September 11th. Thanks for sharing, didn't hear about that.

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Sep 2015, 9:14 am

It appears they didn't consult with anyone who's actually on the spectrum, which makes me worried about the portrayal.

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Sep 2015, 10:57 am

alex wrote:
It appears they didn't consult with anyone who's actually on the spectrum, which makes me worried about the portrayal.

Seconded. My previous mention of nervousness about the portrayal just went up quite a bit. Why couldn't they just hit you up for some help, Alex? Surely anyone with the idea of dedicating an entire episode to ASD would know about your work with "The Bridge." That seems like basic research for media portrayals these days.

I told my girlfriend about the episode and she sees no way that Farkle could be on the spectrum. I'm predicting a train wreck.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2015, 12:17 pm

Disney Channel had an autistic individual guest star in the show Ant Farm. He also started in a short about ASD, I tried to find it one youtube but can't.

So I wonder if that helped them learn about ASD. Ant Farm is off the air so maybe its the same writers?

alex
Developer
Developer

06 Sep 2015, 2:01 pm

ASPickle wrote:
alex wrote:

Seconded. My previous mention of nervousness about the portrayal just went up quite a bit. Why couldn't they just hit you up for some help, Alex? Surely anyone with the idea of dedicating an entire episode to ASD would know about your work with "The Bridge." That seems like basic research for media portrayals these days.

I told my girlfriend about the episode and she sees no way that Farkle could be on the spectrum. I'm predicting a train wreck.

I don't know.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 10:05 am

alex wrote:
ASPickle wrote:
alex wrote:

I don't know.

I don't know either, hope its good!

Abe1

07 Sep 2015, 1:56 pm

Would this show be available outside of the US.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 8:46 am

Apparently the information about it is already on the wiki, and it's the girl with a crush on him who actually has aspergers.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 9:32 am

I watched it. They thought he had AS but tested him and he didn't. I won't give any more away if anyone else wants to watch it. It was okay. Not bad but could have been better. At least they tried to get the word out there.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 11:47 am

So was it the typical disney format where nothing really serious happens and everything ends up the same in the end where everyone is happy.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2015, 6:43 am

I just watched it. It was first episode of this I ever watched so I didn't know the characters.
My thoughts?

At first, seeing the Farkle behavior: "What the hell is it? This guy is supposed to have Asperger, right? He has so many friends, everyone is so happy for him... It's way too sugar. He stands out because he is smart but he fits in at the same time. I can't identify. If he is an aspie he must have been lucky about the environment he was raised in. Is this school a special school? Did his parents always tell him he is the best and can be himself no matter what? Noone ever told him he is wrong and should be more normal? He has way too much self confidence."

And then the Isadora appeared: "This girl! She stands out a lot. Doesn't seem to have friends. She acts so much. I can identify. Well, she is smarter than I am and the whole thing is still exaggerated but this body language... I do it too. And that! And that too! Not to that extent but yeah. If any character has Asperger here its her."

However I still think they focused too much on intelligence. Not all aspies are Einstein level.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2015, 11:27 am

Kiriae wrote:

However I still think they focused too much on intelligence. Not all aspies are Einstein level.

I agree

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2015, 11:36 am

spoiler....

after giving it some thought...as I initially didn't know how I felt about it. while this was practically my first time watching it. I did really like Farkle. and i guess the two girls reactions were realistic...in always getting scared and going into such denial that he might have it. the whole time i was thinking, "stop being scared of us." but in general...they tried...and they failed. however, i guess kudos for them on TRYING to get the word out.

maybe one day, they'll actually do more of what the The Bridge did, bringing in our Alex as the "expert".

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

Abe1

13 Sep 2015, 3:59 pm

It was reasonable, but you wouldn't expect a Disney show to be massively hardhitting.

It would have been better if the Asperger's potential diagnosis was over a number of episodes, rather than neatly do it in one episode, and probably for it to be completely forgotten next week.