Does anyone find modern music less enjoyable?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Sep 2015, 9:17 pm

There's something about the music in the last 20 years especially that isn't to my taste. For one thing its always incredibly loud. The singers must always be loud. They don't understand nuance.

And also, its just too much bass and too much beat. Not enough melody and timbre elements. Lyrically more shallow.

Also there is just something more "real" and authentic about the music from the past- particularly the early rock n' roll Era and back when everything was recorded live in the studio. Now its all synthetic. I just don't dig it. What do y'all think?

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 9:35 pm

One does not simply put all music on a scale and judge it good or bad. I for instance have little taste for anything besides Pink Floyd and a few offshoot singles before the decade of 1990. In my opinion music has gotten more lyrically mature and provocative within the last 20 years. Especially the genre of Prog and somewhat of Alternative, in my opinion Alternative has been flood by a bunch of crap though, especially in the last 10 years. But that's just my opinion, all music as long as it has been composed and performed well holds its own merits to different audiences.

This for a good example came out in 2002:

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2015, 11:09 am

I have found that most 'modern' music turns me off, but then again I'm 53. Might be an old fogey thing. :lol:

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 12:26 am

I think I would have lost interest in "Modern" music since the 1990's can't stand the wailing and screeching they seem to do nowadays.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 12:32 am

Of course some people do. Their loss. Generalizing modern music on a forum where I've met many a contemporary musician is kinda low. Actually it's a total bore and I'm going to go check a music feed now! You're a musician on the internet. Too bad, you yourself are modern. Stop hatin'.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 12:35 am

I hope a beautiful woman drags you into a rave.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 12:45 am

cberg wrote:
You're a musician on the internet. Too bad, you yourself are modern. Stop hatin'.

Being a current musician doesn't imply that the OP plays or creates contemporary styles of music.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 12:52 am

Music is a universal language. Whomever said it served as a means to categorize people? I don't want to belittle anyone's impressions of an art form, only to point out that's exactly what rvacountrysinger is doing.

Sheesh...

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 12:54 am

Too loud? Your stereo needs a DAC.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 3:04 am

No idea what you are even saying, cberg. It's as if you post in riddles.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 3:22 am

Rvacountrysinger is actually complaining about music compression, a sound engineering technique you'll notice when TV commercials are louder than the programming. Nothing changed except recording practices at the advent of the CD.

A digital audio converter can fix that.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2015, 2:18 pm

cberg wrote:
Rvacountrysinger is actually complaining about music compression, a sound engineering technique you'll notice when TV commercials are louder than the programming. Nothing changed except recording practices at the advent of the CD.

A digital audio converter can fix that.

Yes, that is what I meant! Thanks.

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2015, 2:40 pm

I dislike new SOUNDS in music. That doesn't mean there aren't new recording ARTISTS that I can enjoy.
There is nothing wrong with the music of MY time (1960's-early 80's), so there's no need for me to go looking for more modern alternatives. Almost every day I can discover recorded tracks from my favourite decades that somehow I missed.
Fortunatly some of those new ARTISTS I mentioned above also like the sounds from earlier eras and help keep those styles alive, and I'm more than happy to follow their works. Michael Buble is a good example.
Music genres are like wines. Fresher isn't always better.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 125 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 93 of 200

RAADS:
Total score-161.0 Language-18.0 Social relatedness-69.0 Sensory/motor-39.0

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2015, 2:41 pm

I do. I find disco and funk music very enjoyable to me nowadays.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 11:02 pm

A lot of it has to do with how music is mastered nowadays. Frankly, I think music production was at its peak in the 1970s, when analog technology was being perfected, the loudness war didn't really affect albums, and nobody was trying to shoehorn everything into digital. In the 1980s, digital shoehorning began, and the loudness war started to affect studio albums rather than just singles, so sound quality started to drop. Digital recording improved vastly in the 1990s, but by then the loudness war really started picking up steam, and this is when we really started to see the beginning of "modern" sounding music.

This all being said, the 80s and 90s are actually two of my favorite decades for music. Why? The 80s had a large number of good underground (thrash metal, industrial) artists, and I actually like some of the New Wave stuff from that decade as well. As for the 90s, this is when alternative music hit it big, and during the first half especially, there was a lot of back-to-basics creativity, with artists eschewing over-the-top production.