Why do fundamentalist Abrahamic religions hate women?

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

D0gbert
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Sep 2015, 10:28 pm

I have been noticing this hilarious pattern for some time now.

Besides the much vilified fundamentalist Islam, it would seem that ultra-orthodox Judaism and Christianity also share their utter disdain for ovary owners.

Other than the blatant obsession with dominance over others, why is that?

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2015, 10:40 pm

Could you provide some relevant examples of general traits characterizing the belief systems mentioned?

D0gbert
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Sep 2015, 11:28 pm

Are you serious, Humanaut? I mean, misogyny is one of their calling cards.

Anyways, on top of my head, the general "banning women from doing anything" in the name of "modesty"?

Here's one (not the most ludicrous example I have seen) from some Ultra-Orthodox sect...
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... op-driving

The funniest one yet (I'm trying to find the article again) is that a newspaper belonging to such fundies took a photograph of some politicians (EU meeting?) and photoshopped the women away.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2015, 11:43 pm

I guess they were asleep during Mr. T's class...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 12:09 am

D0gbert wrote:
...the general "banning women from doing anything" in the name of "modesty"?

Only Islamic countries practising Sharia law are enforcing such rules. Did you know that women are stoned to death on a regular basis in these barbaric s**tholes? I've seen horrible videos ... Islam is evil.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 2:41 am

In all fairness, Christianity and Judaism, since their long exposure to secular western culture, have become much less likely to hate women. Plus, Christ had hardly been discriminatory toward women in his day, making him far ahead for the time and place in which he lived.

D0gbert
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2015, 3:15 am

I was going to say that moderate Muslims don't stone people to death. Neither do moderate Christians harass non-believers, but then I remember Islamophobia is fashionable lately...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 3:19 am

D0gbert wrote:
I was going to say that moderate Muslims don't stone people to death. Neither do moderate Christians harass non-believers, but then I remember Islamophobia is fashionable lately...

Well, Islamaphobia is fashionable among bigots on the right, and their religious right leaders like Franklin Graham and Mike Hucksterby, but not so much among more mainstream Americans with mainline religious beliefs.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 8:14 am

Quote:
I have been noticing this hilarious pattern for some time now.

Besides the much vilified fundamentalist Islam, it would seem that ultra-orthodox Judaism and Christianity also share their utter disdain for ovary owners.

Other than the blatant obsession with dominance over others, why is that?

It seems ironic that tunnel vision can cause sweeping generalisations.

Peejay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2015, 8:39 am

Sorry to disagree but not just Abrahamic religions, I would say MOST religions and in fact most structures in society (which often derive from religious ethics funnily enough!) are misogynistic to the core.

Even Buddhism appears quite male dominated.

Hinduism is also notoriously anti women. A village council last week in Northern India past judgment on a man by sentencing his SISTER to be gang raped in the village!!
Unbelievable.

Good ol` religion "making women second class citizens for millenia"

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 9:34 am

Most societies put women in second place, so you can't call this a religious issue. Rather, you should call it more like society imposing it's standards on religion.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 10:10 am

Well, in the U.S., whenever a catastrophe happens, for instance, it's always "Women and children, FIRST". It is my understanding that this has always been "the way" because women ensure the continuation of the species----so, at least, we're good for SOMETHIN', and are "first-class", in THAT way.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 10:26 am

They don't hate women; they just assume they know what is best for them better than women themselves do. It's probably no coïncidence that the rôle of women in developing religious doctrine was somewhere between extremely limited and nonexistent.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Sep 2015, 1:22 pm

Sorry, but "knowing what is best" for them sounds so extremely patronising, as though they had no minds of their own!

Additionally, regarding CC's input, not all women are interested in the "continuation of the species" especially if they are committed to staying single / asexual / not interested in relationships, or are lesbian. Many women stayed single in the old days, especially in the teaching profession, where they played a vital educational role and were committed to their cause. Many female pioneers and leaders in society were too busy to commit to relationships.

The moment the female sex is treated differently, it is sexism. In many countries they had to wait years before they got the vote. New Zealand, and, rather surprisingly, the state of Wyoming were among the first places to grant voting rights.

In Saudi Arabia women can't get driving licences.

http://saudiwomendriving.blogspot.co.za/

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 1:24 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
The moment the female sex is treated differently, it is sexism.

Context dependent.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 2:01 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
Sorry, but "knowing what is best" for them sounds so extremely patronising, as though they had no minds of their own!

That's what tends to happen when you depend on someone else.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.