Why do fundamentalist Abrahamic religions hate women?

Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 7:18 pm

pcuser wrote:
This is a little off topic, but it is about women regarding the right wing of the Republican party. And it's all about religion and denying health care for women.

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/06/14065553_partner/

That's because a great many Republicans are fundamentalist Christians.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 7:36 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:
This is a little off topic, but it is about women regarding the right wing of the Republican party. And it's all about religion and denying health care for women.

I think the reason they are christian fundamentalists is that they experience fear in the amygdala differently than the rest of us. That's not the only cause, but I believe that's a big part of it. They are authoritarian because they need to tightly control their fear of the world.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 7:44 pm

pcuser wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:

I think the reason they are christian fundamentalists is that they experience fear in the amygdala differently than the rest of us. That's not the only cause, but I believe that's a big part of it. They are authoritarian because they need to tightly control their fear of the world.

Forgive me, but amygdala: what dat?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 7:52 pm

In Christianity, at least in the U.S., attitudes toward women are focused almost exclusively on the abortion issue, and even then, most aren't as adamantly anti-abortion as people think. Ironically, some of the strictest abortion laws, such as the 6-week window in ND and the 12-week window in AR (both of which were struck down), were drafted *by* women. Most Mainline Protestant denominations and some independent evangelical churches allow them to be pastors.

In Islam, women have much fewer rights, though some Muslim majority nations have had female heads of state (Pakistan, Bangladesh, Kyrgyzstan, Turkey, and Indonesia)

I don't really know about the attitudes in Reform or Conservative Judaism, but Orthodox Judaism has a bunch of restrictions toward women.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 7:53 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:

It's the part of the brain that regulates aggressive thoughts.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 8:07 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:

It's the part of the brain that regulates aggressive thoughts.

Thank you.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 8:27 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:

That's two areas of the brain, one on each side, that deals with primal emotions like fear. It also is , i just learned, implicated with autism. There is a growing belief among researchers that it helps determine how fearful we are and it leads to having conservative or progressive beliefs.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 8:28 pm

It is also associated with aggression in humans and most other animals.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 9:23 pm

pcuser wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:

That's two areas of the brain, one on each side, that deals with primal emotions like fear. It also is , i just learned, implicated with autism. There is a growing belief among researchers that it helps determine how fearful we are and it leads to having conservative or progressive beliefs.

Okay, I know what you're talking about. Tests have shown that region of the brain goes hyperactive in conservatives, compared to liberals.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 10:59 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:

Okay, I know what you're talking about. Tests have shown that region of the brain goes hyperactive in conservatives, compared to liberals.

That sounds about right. I don't remember exactly what it was in the tests. But that sounds correct. Funny if autism is part of the amygdala influence. Imagine we could have been conservatives That's a scary thought...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2015, 11:20 pm

pcuser wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:

That sounds about right. I don't remember exactly what it was in the tests. But that sounds correct. Funny if autism is part of the amygdala influence. Imagine we could have been conservatives That's a scary thought...

Perish the thought!

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 12:07 am

pcuser wrote:
That's a scary thought...
Kraichgauer wrote:
Perish the thought!

Oh the irony.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 10:04 am

:eew:

pcuser wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:

I have my doubts about people being hard-wired to be conservative or liberal. Sounds like more psuedoscience. :eew:

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 10:20 am

glebel wrote:
:eew:
pcuser wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:

I have my doubts about people being hard-wired to be conservative or liberal. Sounds like more psuedoscience. :eew:

Sorry, but evidence is heading in that direction. It isn't proven yet. Whether it will remains to be seen. Why do you and others who don't like scientific results claim those results are psuedoscience. When we close our minds to reality is very limiting...

Peejay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2015, 3:37 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Its because God is a misogynist! The religions are man made concepts to keep women down and that women are supposed to be submissive to men and that men must dominate women and make them go into the kitchen and popping out babies!

I kind of agree and disagree.

1. God is not a misogynist because she doesn`t exist
2. if God did exist why on earth would it be a male?... She much more likely to be female... or even something in between or neither... talking about God as male just proves that the misogynist programming has worked
3. the earliest human based Gods were female.
4. However modern religions do exactly what you say but unfortunately they are all now male religions as the female godesses have been usurped.

Peejay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2015, 3:40 pm

pcuser wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:

Nice point.... I have always felt that religion is basically to help mental pain when things appear to be meaningless and is essentially... fear of the dark