Why do fundamentalist Abrahamic religions hate women?

Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 3:59 pm

Peejay wrote:
pcuser wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:
This is a little off topic, but it is about women regarding the right wing of the Republican party. And it's all about religion and denying health care for women.

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/06/14065553_partner/

That's because a great many Republicans are fundamentalist Christians.

I think the reason they are christian fundamentalists is that they experience fear in the amygdala differently than the rest of us. That's not the only cause, but I believe that's a big part of it. They are authoritarian because they need to tightly control their fear of the world.

Nice point.... I have always felt that religion is basically to help mental pain when things appear to be meaningless and is essentially... fear of the dark

I heard something interesting on talk radio today that goes to the same point. Fearful people need an authoritarian leader to feel safe. The leaders who they seek out are also fearful, they simply want to be the leaders. We see this in Donald Trump. He makes claims about simple fixes to complex problems. He often says they will work "because I said they will". People who are fearful like simple sounding fixes because they are fearful and want something simple to fix problems. Though this also may be because Republicans tend to be very low information voters who watch Faux News and other similar programming on the right.

Peejay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2015, 3:41 pm

I think this cogent point is also being discussed in a couple of other threads as we speak.

mysterious1313
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Sep 2015, 8:55 pm

Its very amusing when people who know nothing about a religion except what the media portrays it as, pretends to know what that religion does. There is nothing in Islam that is woman hating. And this has nothing to do with modernizing anything. Open the Qur'an and find one Surah that is against woman, or any Sahih hadith for that matter. Don't get your knowledge spoon fed to you by propaganda.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 10:11 pm

mysterious1313 wrote:
Its very amusing when people who know nothing about a religion except what the media portrays it as, pretends to know what that religion does. There is nothing in Islam that is woman hating. And this has nothing to do with modernizing anything. Open the Qur'an and find one Surah that is against woman, or any Sahih hadith for that matter. Don't get your knowledge spoon fed to you by propaganda.

Maybe not in their holy book, but certainly in practice among their fundamentalist adherents.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 11:11 pm

mysterious1313 wrote:

Surely you must understand that when the muṭawwiʿ cause the deaths of 15 girls and the injury of 50 more by preventing them from leaving their burning school because they were not wearing head scarves and not accompanied by male guardians, that people may get the impression that perhaps in the islamic world, the status of females is somewhat less than males.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 11:22 pm

Islam is a religion of peace, love, and equal rights for women, homosexuals, infidels, and pig farmers.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 6:40 am

Humanaut wrote:
Islam is a religion of peace, love, and equal rights for women, homosexuals, infidels, and pig farmers.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 7:25 am

I can tell you that the more frightened I am, the more conservative (and the more hateful, not that those things are related) I become.

There was a time in my life when I could never have imagined myself living as a submissive wife. Now I can't be anything else; I'm too terrified that conflict might harm my husband, end our marriage, and take my children from me.

There was a time in my life when I couldn't have imagined myself placing the blame on a teenage party girl who gets blind drunk at a college party and wakes up in the morning to find her gang-rape on social media. Now I can't seem to think any other way.

My maternal grandparents: Terrified of poverty, terrified of welfare, terrified of judgment, terrified of exclusion. Willing to re-evaluate their judgments (about Pagans, homosexuals, HIV, whatever when and only when it's suddenly wearing the face of someone they've known and loved for every). Extremely conservative.

My dad's side of the family: Willing to take risks, fly by the seat of their pants, willing to accept public assistance in hard times, f**k you if you can't take a joke on judgment, deal with exclusion by becoming clannish and excluding the exclusive. Extremely liberal.

I used to be more like my dad's side. Now?? I live in fear; it's the smart choice. I'm also hateful and bitter and want everyone else to live in fear too. So, yeah, I believe that conservatives probably have more active amygdalas.

As far as the "woman hating" thing goes.

They don't hate women at all. The LOVE women. The love them so much that they're terrified that someone else will love them more, or woo them away, or look at them longingly. They love them so much that they're terrified to let them grow up, terrified to let them have any kind of self determination, terrified to give up a single iota of power and control. They love them so much that they turn them into cossetted children/pets, with actually relatively little responsibility (the only really significant one being the raising of the children, and even there, they are to follow orders in doing the work, not actually make decisions) and no freedom whatsoever.

It's stifling, and choking, and smothering, and horrible.

And I can understand how a woman could be frightened enough (of men, of rape, of the world, of the consequences of "sin," which literally translates to "imperfection," by the way) to choose it and be grateful.

Peejay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2015, 10:26 am

mysterious1313 wrote:

No some Muslims just put their women in a bag because they are actually apparently filled with lust and cannot control themselves like I manage to do.... Its medieval!

You are having a laugh to say that women are not (often) treated second class citizens, forget what the Qur`an says and what it wants people to do just open your eyes and look around you.
I live in a city with the biggest muslim population in the UK and work with Muslims every day, they are fine people as individuals but the mosque encourages that separation of genders and institutional subjugation of women.

Anyway the whole problem with Islam is not the Qur`an which has the same amount of institutional sexism as the Bible the Torah and all the rest with Islam it is the hundreds of ego led jumped up so called `scholars` who each have a different reading of the holy text and twist it to further their particular agenda.

p.s. I am not spoonfed! cheeky thing!
I have been observing this for decades now. I actually think your response about no anti women surahs is spoonfed because you allow no scope for scholars or sects twisting the original word... its not the word thats the problem its the people who use it for their own ends

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 10:55 am

That Judaism, Christianity and Islam share a common misogyny should not be surprising. Judaism is the root from which the other faiths grew and so they share the original faiths problematic views of women.

Are such views a problem in modern judaism? Could be:
http://forward.com/opinion/182947/shoul ... orn-women/

The God of all three is a blank space into which a primitive people projected the biases of their culture. That process produced conflicting impulses some intrinsically misogynist, some egalitarian.

In Genesis 1 we have " So God created humankind* in his image, in the image of God he created them;* male and female he created them. " Logically, the image of God then transcends gender and both male and female are in the likeness of God....

However, in Genesis 2 there is an alternative tradition:

Quote:
but for the man* there was not found a helper as his partner. So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he slept; then he took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. And the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man. Then the man said,
‘This at last is bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
this one shall be called Woman,*
for out of Man* this one was taken.’

This story makes women intrinsically inferior and subordinate to men. This story is common to all three faiths.

In the Christian story the Genesis 1/Genesis 2 split continues.
The Genesis 1 idea is recapitulated in Galatians:
Quote:
There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus

And the Genesis 2 idea is in 1 Timothy:
Quote:
A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.

The Genesis 2 idea dominates Islam:
In Surah 2, the Genesis 1 idea emerges, but is immediately put down by the Genesis 2 idea:
Quote:
Wives have the same rights as the husbands have on them in accordance with the generally known principles. Of course, men are a degree above them in status

Surah 4 is all Genesis 2:
Quote:
Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them.

http://quran.com/4/34

It interesting seeing a woman struggling with this:
http://muslima.imow.org/content/islam-i ... sogynistic

Things only get worse in the Hadiths.

The problematic verse from 1 Timothy is quoted in this
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens ... Bible.html
There is an interesting observation about parallels with Buddhist sexism toward the end of that piece.

The problem of misogyny seems to be a problem of the species, so it's only natural that it would be reflected in these cultural products.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 11:08 am

The Anglians now have a woman bishop and the fundies here have plenty of female ministers. I believe the Liberal synagogues have female rabbis. Now what is the problem?

Peejay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2015, 1:27 pm

Grebels wrote:
The Anglians now have a woman bishop and the fundies here have plenty of female ministers. I believe the Liberal synagogues have female rabbis. Now what is the problem?

I have watched how long it has taken for women bishops in the Church of England and the struggle to get there. The Church was (still is) on the verge of splitting in two over this.
Ha ha! ... they can`t cope with the modern world and are becoming increasingly irrelevant

Anyway ask the women bishops about how they really feel about equality and their struggle

Adamantium is right Misogyny is hard wired into the Judaic scripture almost from chapter 1. an Islam and Christianity have this as the source code. This was a male religion that`s kind of the point about the paternalistic religions isn`t it?
Great quotes from the Qur`an about women being a lower class than men... I think the case can rest there.

Whats the problem is like saying to black people in the Ferguson US "Obama is a black so whats the problem?"

This is a good debate though...