Do you think gender stereotypes are annoying?

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2015, 11:46 pm

Drawyer wrote:
In real life, I am a female in that I have looks/voice of female and that I'm attracted to males,
Other than that many times I thought I should've been born as a male. As I enjoy what is typically considered as men's roles such as taking responsibilities on my own shoulders, building something out of nothing.. and protecting weak beings like a superman.. But I don't watch TV, I don't read News, I don't mind which names society calls things ..so it's hard for me being annoyed about something I don't care.
But I don't see any of those things stereotypical of men or women exclusively. These have more to do with personality type.
Perhaps the people in your life who share these qualities are most often men. Where I'm at, it seems the men in general are lacking these noble qualities you have.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 6:02 am

Where I come from these are some annoying gender stereotypes:-

-It's ''OK'' for men to have hairy legs and hairy armpits, but not OK for women

-Apparently grey hair looks ''OK'' on men, but apparently grey hair on women is unsightly and women ''must'' dye their hair if they notice they are growing grey (unless they are elderly, but I'm talking about middle-aged men and women)

-Men can just wear a shirt and a tie for formal occasions, or even just a shirt, but women have to be more dressy and have to make sure what they're wearing looks ''right''

-Men seem to be less judged if they walk with a limp or a hunched back, but women have to have a perfect posture

-Men can wear dirty clothes and look dirty and untidy for everyday wear, but women have to always be clean and tidy

-Men don't have to spend time grooming themselves and putting make-up on. I know not all women wear make-up, but when it comes to things like getting married, the bride has to look ''stunning'', apparently

-Muslim women have to wear burkas and things like that covering them, but Muslim men just wear anything

-Teenage boys at school can play fight or play other games like tripping each other up in the mud, but teenage girls have to be really grown-up and just hang about in groups gossiping

OK, let's find some things that women can get away with but men can't...

-Women can express more emotion like crying in front of people. Men can only do this if it's for a really good reason, like a relative dying or something

-Little girls can be tomboys, but if a little boy is girlish, he may get picked on. Women can wear trousers, but men cannot wear skirts or dresses

Can't think of much else.

JennaFree
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Oct 2015, 9:28 am

I don't think that it's annoying. Feminists ( the real one) fight for gender equality of sexes. But we understand that it can be only when men start childbirth.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 9:19 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Would you quit trying to derail the thread into some negative thing about you...and discuss the topic at hand.

If you don't like my posts, I'd appreciate it if you simply ignored them. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean I'm "trying to derail the thread into some negative thing about me", which is all the more absurd because I wasn't talking about myself at all, and I was discussing the topic at hand. Please stop gratuitously accusing me with no regard for what I actually said.

My reason for my post had nothing to do with disliking your post, I wanted to discuss the topic and your comment seemed derailing so I expressed that as nicely as I could. Maybe it wasn't about you but you kept railing that other poster about how people will make sure they know the job isn't for them....confused how that has to do with gender stereotypes seems more like you trying to spread negativity.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 9:24 pm

JennaFree wrote:
I don't think that it's annoying. Feminists ( the real one) fight for gender equality of sexes. But we understand that it can be only when men start childbirth.

So what exactly does that mean then? until men can physically have babies they shouldn't be equal to women? where is the equality in that....sounds like just getting rid of one gender, since only women can give birth so you'd either have to eliminate all males or somehow turn them all into women either way screwed up.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 9:41 pm

I'd guess it's annoying to those that get stereotyped.

I like games and rock music which was once more of a "guy thing" but I guess depending on who you come across, generally it isn't such a big deal as it once was.

My mum was tomboyish when she grew up and she never was into girly makeup ect
yet she's married and had kids.

Sometimes theirs gender stereotype amongst sexuality too.

Like a guy who is sensitive or likes rom coms is assumed gay or a girl that is into football or cars is a lesbian and it isn't the case.

Even though times has changed, you do get people who will still gender stereotype, it shouldn't be a big deal on what people like in terms of hobbies/interests and it shouldn't reflect on someone's sexuality either.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 11:59 pm

I find gender stereotypes very annoying. I also find that too many people take for granted that everybody likes to be called by their gender instead of their name. I'm very strong and I'm built more like a man than a woman, which I feel blessed about. I can lift the larger dumbells and I have huge upper arms. I got sick to gender stereotypes to the point that I flexed my muscles in front of a few staff workers from my clubhouse and people who hosted a dinner for the clubhouse members. They were shocked to say the least.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 1:39 am

marcb0t wrote:
But I don't see any of those things stereotypical of men or women exclusively. These have more to do with personality type.
Perhaps the people in your life who share these qualities are most often men. Where I'm at, it seems the men in general are lacking these noble qualities you have.
Thank you for saying like being bolded. :D

I thought where I live those things are usually considered for men's traits..Then again after reading your posts I thought I couldn't be right as I haven't read domestic news for many years.…So I believe my view on OP's matter was decade behind the reality when I posted in the first place. =)

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 2:50 am

Drawyer wrote:
marcb0t wrote:
Thank you for saying like being bolded. :D

I thought where I live those things are usually considered for men's traits..Then again after reading your posts I thought I couldn't be right as I haven't read domestic news for many years.…So I believe my view on OP's matter was decade behind the reality when I posted in the first place. =)

Let's not forget that there are female super heroes as well, and that's been for many decades.
But in the last 10 years, I have seen men becoming more and more wimpy and complacent. Mostly the younger generation. As a matter of fact, the women who work in my department often out work a lot of them. Even one who has severe arthritis, and another with degenerative kidney disease. I have deep respect for those ladies.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 10:04 am

As a lady person who was forced to wear prairie dresses and floppy hats as a child, I agree that gender stereotypes suck. I also think that people can go too far in the other direction. I started out dressing my son as a baby in what I thought was cute but already I'm changing his wardrobe into shirts he picks out and things that he obviously prefers, like basketball shorts.

A girl I know gave instructions for no one to give her baby daughter pink or purple clothes, because she was raising her gender neutral. Just brown, green, yellow, etc. Come on now. My aunt and uncle did that with my little cousin for a few years and then as soon as she could talk she demanded to wear purple tutus and glitter boots all the time. I'm pretty sure the last time I saw her she was wearing lip gloss and she was like eight.

Either way, I think people should leave other people (especially kids) alone with that stuff. Who cares?

Bald-Accountant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2015, 10:23 am

I think gender stereotypes can cause problems when people try to insist people stick to them, but on the other hand the way my Aspergers manifests is relationships, people and relating to people confuse the heck out of me.
Stereotypes are bad when misused, but to a degree we have to make some assumptions to get thru life in this complicated world. Especially those of us who could not make our way out of a paper bag by understanding other people.
Simplifying the world by assumptions, of which stereotypes are assumptions, is what makes the big huge complex world a little simpler and smaller. People are going to use the, people with aspergers and autism are going to use them, and they probably help us more than we know, we just have to try not to abuse them or let the way we apply them hurt others.

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 10:40 am

Probably not change much, mating is about power and subservience and its reflected in stereotypes.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 12:51 am

in my special interest (welding) it's laughable how much sexism there is, even among other female welders. "women are good welders because we have steady hands and patience". ohh yeah, ok sure. if I was patient I'd be in the woodshop lol

that's just a lighthearted example unfortunately :/