Page 4 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 3:33 pm

Quote:
Perhaps the hostility comes from women's being better at functioning with autism than men.

What do you mean by that?

Quote:
Usually it's the same ones though. And there are some thoughtful men here.

Why don't you name them?

I am sure some of you consider me misogynist because I confront some users, whom some happen to be female who see misogyny in every male who doesn't bow to them agree with 100% of what they say. (A non-misogyny to them sounds like "ie. Yes, ma'am, you are always right! You are infallible" :lol:)

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 25 Sep 2015, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 3:37 pm

I mean maybe autistic misogynists are jealous that autistic women cope better than they do. But's it's a completely irrational question because ultimately people are individuals and these generalizations are divisive and harmful.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 3:40 pm

I don't buy it they are better functional.

If it's true, then they are less autistic.

And if some are way less autistic, then they are simply NTs with very mild autistic traits.

If it's this the case, then we can't say they are really being overlooked - they are being accurately diagnosed instead, no? ;)

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 3:46 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
If it's true, then they are less autistic.

This is what my psychiatrist says and is a common (in fact, the only) way to diagnose autism. I believe that one's ability to cope does not diminish what goes on in the mind. Some of us are just better actors, but our minds are still different.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 3:58 pm

You didn't explain why it's more common in boys when it comes to Classic Autism.

They are misdiagnosing girls as Rett Syndrome?

But Rett Syndrome has been removed as ASD disorder in the last revision in DSM5 - it was removed from DSM all together , it is now recognized as a neurological and genetic disorder - and I think they did a good move in that: The cause of Rett Syndrome wasn't a medical mystery, the responsible mutation of the exact gene is well documented. It wouldn't make sense to keep it lumped it with a set of conditions (The ASDs) which are still poorly understood genetically and can't even be nor proven nor detected medically.

AS and Autism has no known molecular etiology, it cannot be defined genetically-wise such as "depletion of gene XYX in Chromosome ABC..."

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 25 Sep 2015, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 4:02 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
You didn't explain why it's more common in boys when it comes to Classic Autism.

But Rett Syndrome has been removed as ASD disorder in the last revision in DSM5 - it was removed from DSM all together , it is now recognized as a neurological and genetic disorder - and I think they did a good move in that: The cause of Rett Syndrome wasn't a medical mystery, the responsible mutation of the exact gene is well documented. It wouldn't make sense to keep it lumped it with a set of conditions (The ASDs) which are still poorly understood genetically and can't even be nor proven nor detected medically.

Do you really think the autistic women who visit this forum appreciate your contribution to this discussion, or do you think you are helping to make autistic women feel unwelcome here? If you are contributing to them feeling less welcome, do you care? Why do you feel the need to come into women's discussions here and derail them?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 4:03 pm

wilburforce wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Do you really think the autistic women who visit this forum appreciate your contribution to this discussion, or do you think you are helping to make autistic women feel unwelcome here? If you are contributing to them feeling less welcome, do you care? Why do you feel the need to come into women's discussions here and derail them?

I am discussing with androbot01 about the subject of the thread, thank you.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 4:04 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Not interested in answering valid questions as to your motives for involving yourself in this discussion. I get it.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 4:06 pm

wilburforce wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Not interested in answering valid questions as to your motives for involving yourself in this discussion. I get it.

Nope, I believe women here can speak for themselves, if I am making them to feel unwelcome in any way, they will speak.

They don't need a 'savior' who see them as helpless damsels in distress constantly.

Let's go to back to topic.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 4:07 pm

wilburforce wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I appreciate his contribution and think he makes a valid point.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 4:11 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I am talking about classic autism (whatever that means.)

Quote:

AS and Autism has no known molecular etiology, it cannot be defined genetically-wise such as "depletion of gene XYX in Chromosome ABC..."

I will have to do some research on Rett Syndrome. If it is a neurological genetic disorder, I wonder if maybe it is related to autism.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 4:16 pm

androbot01 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I am talking about classic autism (whatever that means.)

Quote:

I will have to do some research on Rett Syndrome. If it is a neurological genetic disorder, I wonder if maybe it is related to autism.

Rett was classified as ASD in the older versions of DSM- I don't know what the DSM psychiatrists were thinking, the symptoms of Rett are way different and way more "tangible" than any ASD.

Rett mostly affects girls.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 6:39 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Nope, I believe women here can speak for themselves, if I am making them to feel unwelcome in any way, they will speak.

They don't need a 'savior' who see them as helpless damsels in distress constantly.

Let's go to back to topic.

Speaking for myself, yes, what you wrote makes me want to shutdown because Boo it is not logical so there seems little point disputing your points. And I am interested in what Wilburforce has to say too but wouldn't usually respond because I've been taught not to go on too long. One of the reasons perhaps for being overlooked is not arguing.

Maybe you thought the topic was in PPR, this isn't PPR. Otherwise please entertain the possibility that the topic has value and validity and learn something new.

Again speaking for myself, I find what you wrote the equivalent of saying "you don't belong" and I have heard that my whole life I am tired of hearing I don't belong. Others may not want to be rescued, I am tired and I do not mind being rescued.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 8:52 am

Waterfalls wrote:
...One of the reasons perhaps for being overlooked is not arguing.

Could be. I always go along with whatever is happening (irl.) I find it to be counterproductive to actively engage people.

Quote:
Again speaking for myself, I find what you wrote the equivalent of saying "you don't belong" and I have heard that my whole life I am tired of hearing I don't belong. Others may not want to be rescued, I am tired and I do not mind being rescued.

It's not the equivalent, it is saying "you don't belong." Lol. To come into this discussion with the attitude he has is as a fox to enter the hen house. I can't speak for Boo's motivations for entering this discussion. I don't understand why excluding autistic women is of value, but I guess for him it is significant. It's the old "who has it worse" argument, but the singling out of women is disturbing.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 9:14 am

wilburforce wrote:

Waterfalls wrote:

androbot01 wrote:
It's not the equivalent, it is saying "you don't belong." Lol. To come into this discussion with the attitude he has is as a fox to enter the hen house. I can't speak for Boo's motivations for entering this discussion. I don't understand why excluding autistic women is of value, but I guess for him it is significant. It's the old "who has it worse" argument, but the singling out of women is disturbing.

Again, the only reason I'm here is because I rarely look at categories and use the "active thread" list to browse topics, but to address the above three quotes: So many men here are stuck in neanderthal thinking. Coming to a women's discussion and trying to turn it into a discussion about men is akin to pissing on a location to mark territory. It's not very thoughtful, it's not helpful, and the only reason they do it is because they can-- it's a complete lack of self-control.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 10:51 am

Lol some of you need a good shrink, seriously.

When did I say that I am singling out women or calling them they don't belong to whatever? All I am saying that the claim of under-diagnosed AS makes little sense to me and I explained why with arguments, anyone is free to counter them - simple- Otherwise I am not the one to be blamed for any emotional/psychological baggage you may have from the past, we all have some, so spare me the false interpretations and stop putting words in my mouth.

And it's so hypocrite for the males who criticize my presence here because of my gender while they are posting here themselves. And it's funny that it's those knights who are stirring accusations left and right.

Something that you knights need to know: If you believe you are egalitarian, you're delusional, your extreme chivalrous attitude and your constant need of "going for the rescue of women" is a form of benevolent sexism that comes from your rooted belief that women are lesser than men and therefore need to be defended, talked in their names and saved all the time. Stop it, it's ugly sexism.