Weighted blanket for giraffes (tall people)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

camelia
Raven
Raven

07 Sep 2015, 5:06 am

I'm visiting with family out of town and after carefully checking to make sure I got everyhing.. I left my layer of blankets at home and pillows too. All I have here are thin sheets and very light weight blankets. I had only 3 hours last night and maybe that much tonigiht. I am so tired and irritable.

so two things. we only have a walmart in town and i am willing to spend whatever it takes to get sleep. I have sensory issues in that rough fabrics are torture. I can't stand silk sheets. Velux blankets are usually nice depending on how they are made. The "plush" blankets that walmart sells are torture.. the staticy things. but a wal mart is all that is near here. I'm too far to drive home just for blankets.

1) What can I do ot get by this week? I can't turn the air down to 60 while piling on the entire closet worth of sheets.

2) Who makes weighted blankets in an actual TALL size? Most of them arebarely long enouhg to cover regular height humans s I know they won't fully cover me and still have room to tuck it under a little like I do.

artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2015, 6:22 am

Define tall, I am 6' 1" tall, I got one of the Mosaic brand weighted blankets and it totaly covers me. Dodger

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 3:34 pm

I really need to get a weighted blanket. Right now I am sleeping with no less than 7 or 8 layers of sheets even in the middle of the summer. I cannot get any sleep either with the weight of blankets on me. I don't have any advice as to where to find them but it is nice to hear that I am not the only one with this issue.

When in the past I have had to sleep elsewhere than my home, I found sleeping with my clothes on tended help. I also up the dose of my sleeping med's on that night and make sure I do a fair amount of walking during the day to help me sleep at night.

Sometimes tossing a bathrobe or some heavy coat on the top layer helps a bit.

LilZebra
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2015, 5:03 pm

What is meant by a weighted blanket? When I hear that term I instantly think of a Hudson's Bay wool blanket.

I got mine in 1969 (age 3) used it till 1988 (age 22) when I moved out.

Left it at my family's home.

Moved in with a friend in 2012 and he kept the thermostat no lower than 65 F, so I got the green & black HBC (actually Eaton's) blanket again.

I'm estimating they were bought for $75 back then. I've seen The Bay sell them for $375 nowadays.

artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2015, 6:21 pm

Weighted blankets have evenly distributed pockets of a non toxic beans in them, kind of like a bean bag chair material but heavier. They give even pressure all over your body when you tuck yourself into one. I got mine from here, http://www.mosaicweightedblankets.com. They have them for both children and adults. Recommended weight is 5-10% of your body weight +2lbs. I split the differance and got one that was 15lbs, which is plenty for me. But the weight is a personal choice. At full 10%+2lbs my blanket would have been 22lbs. I took a good guess of what our winter blankets weight on me, and chose that for my blanket. I got it pretty close I think. I sleep way better, not getting up several times a night or tossing and turning all night. You can read about the how's and why's of weight blankets and AS/ASD on thier site. Dodger

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2015, 3:43 pm

It sounds like something you can only get online. The only common things I can think of with that kind of weight are curtains or towels.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 1:31 am

When my son was little and I was researching weighted blankets, I remembered that when I was little, I loved going to my grandmother's house and using her blanket. I loved it because it was heavy. That is the blanket I purchased for my son and it was perfect. Buy a COTTON knitted type blanket at Walmart, Target, etc. You can purchase two to make it heavier. They work perfectly for our family.like this one

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 6:00 am

whatamess wrote:
When my son was little and I was researching weighted blankets, I remembered that when I was little, I loved going to my grandmother's house and using her blanket. I loved it because it was heavy. That is the blanket I purchased for my son and it was perfect. Buy a COTTON knitted type blanket at Walmart, Target, etc. You can purchase two to make it heavier. They work perfectly for our family.like this one

I agree.
I have a blanket like this to sleep under in summer. It works great.
If the texture bothers you you can put it inside of bedding or over sheet.

Bedspreads might work well too.