justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 4:12 pm

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 5:50 pm

I wonder how people can care so much about that lion. I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest. Not only wouldn't he give a damn about me; he'd actually eat me alive after inflicting me horrifying pain had he had the chance.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 6:06 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
I wonder how people can care so much about that lion. I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest. Not only wouldn't he give a damn about me; he'd actually eat me alive after inflicting me horrifying pain had he had the chance.

Only if he viewed you as a threat or he was hungry. Wild animals don't just kill indiscriminately unless they've got rabies or some other disease. An animal that kills everything it sees runs out of energy and eventually food.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 5:49 pm

Not cats. Cats kill for fun. I'll admit that my housecats, by virtue of boredom, are probably more vicious than your average wild lion. But anyone who thinks cats don't kill for entertainment doesn't spend much time around cats.

Far as the rest of it goes...

I have a personal problem with trophy hunting. I think it's abhorrent to kill something that isn't threatening you if you have no need to or intention of eating it. I even have guilt pangs about trapping mice, and they are technically threatening my family (property damage, fire from chewed wiring, destroyed food, vectoring hantavirus and Y. pestis and such). I feel pretty crappy about sheep ranchers shooting coyotes, and the 'yotes are definitely threatening their livelihood.

However. The way people have chosen to behave over this demonstrates, very clearly, all the completely sh***y aspects of human nature that make it so much easier to empathize with a lion. Good grief.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 6:00 pm

They always start out by referring to him as the dentist, I so get it because people think all dentists are evil and sadistic, and meanwhile all kinds of animals the world are being shot, killed, dismembered or treated cruelly for the sake of entertainment, but we don't hear about that. We don't hear about how snake charmers actually rip out the fangs and sew the mouths of cobras shut so they can't bite, or how they have dancing bears in India that are treated horrifically - in a country that won't kill cows for their meat - or how so many endangered animals have their body parts cut off and sold as "folk remedies" that supposedly cure everything.

Now, will someone kindly stop the planet so I can get off?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 10:36 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Thow they have dancing bears in India that are treated horrifically - in a country that won't kill cows for their meat - or how so many endangered animals have their body parts cut off and sold as "folk remedies" that supposedly cure everything.

Most Indians are predominantly vegetarian and don't consume animal products. Dancing bears are a problem in Nepal not in India where they have conservation sanctuaries for Sloth bears.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 11:20 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
They always start out by referring to him as the dentist, I so get it because people think all dentists are evil and sadistic

I think the point they're trying to emphasize is that trophy-hunters are usually wealthy, privileged, upper class people. He came to Africa with his bow and arrow, not for employment, not to contribute to society, but simply to satisfy his lust for blood and conquest.

Not all dentists are sadists, but this one certainly is. Trophy-hunters disgust me.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 1:20 am

Barchan wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
They always start out by referring to him as the dentist, I so get it because people think all dentists are evil and sadistic

I think the point they're trying to emphasize is that trophy-hunters are usually wealthy, privileged, upper class people. He came to Africa with his bow and arrow, not for employment, not to contribute to society, but simply to satisfy his lust for blood and conquest. Trophy-hunters disgust me.

Glad you feel that way about trophy hunters
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -hunt.html

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 1:57 am

cyberdad wrote:

In that linked article they claim, "We're hunters." Yeah, they're as legitimate as me going to Disneyland, riding the Matterhorn, and then claiming I climbed the toughest mountain in the Alps. It's all show and entertainment, not real.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 1:57 am

cyberdad wrote:
Barchan wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

I think the point they're trying to emphasize is that trophy-hunters are usually wealthy, privileged, upper class people. He came to Africa with his bow and arrow, not for employment, not to contribute to society, but simply to satisfy his lust for blood and conquest. Trophy-hunters disgust me.

Any reason to hate the Trump family is a good reason to hate the Trump family.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 3:17 am

Spiderpig wrote:

Cecil was a magnificent animal that the local people had thought highly of, and was meant to be protected for life in a wild life park. That's why people cared about him being shot by some a$$hole who wanted the ego boost.
As for the lion not caring about you - - of course not. Cecil was just an animal who had no idea of your existence.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 3:29 am

Ganondox wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Barchan wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

Any reason to hate the Trump family is a good reason to hate the Trump family.

Will not affect his approval one bit, only leftest (BAN ALL GUNS AND MEAT!) crazies will go mad over it.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 11:38 am

Here we go with the trophy hunting thing again with the usual suspects. :roll:
Trophy hunting is as trophy hunting does. It's certainly not all about or even mostly about hunting on preserves where it's too easy. It can mean days or over a week spent living in austere conditions with endless miles hiking over rough terrain just to get a chance at a shot at a game animal. As long as they keep the meat or give it to someone that will use it WTF is the difference?

This is like the third thread we've had about that lion.

If I had a lion he'd look like Cecil....boo hoo hoo

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 11:53 am

Raptor, I don't appreciate your mocking the President. In fact, the graphic disqualifies your other remarks as worthy of attention.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 11:59 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Raptor, I don't appreciate your mocking the President. In fact, the graphic disqualifies your other remarks as worthy of attention.

Be careful Bea, you wouldn't want to go afoul of his royal highness's rapier tongue and wit. He knows all, sees all, and judges all.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 12:01 pm

Thanks for the heads-up Meistersinger, but if we don't protest racism when we see it, we effectively condone it.