Dentist Who Killed Cecil The Lion Returns To Work

Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 2:54 am

Meistersinger wrote:
Raptor wrote:
What strikes me as kooky is that people are all teary eyed over one old lion on the other side of the globe when there are hundreds and thousands of domestic animals needlessly suffering in their own country. I'm an HSUS volunteer so I get to see some s**t and hear the stories. That, and I've rescued two such dogs (so far) from shelters that would have been euthed if I hadn't.
My dogs are spoiled rotten once they are with me.
Want to help animals? Do it in your own community. If you're already doing it then good for you. Boo-hooing over some far away lion aint cutting it.
Charity begins at home.

So, now you're one of those nut cases that indirectly support PETA, which is nothing more than a front for the Animal Liberation Front.

PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
Yeah, I eat my share of animals.

Quote:
Remember, PETA was partly for the Got Autism? Billboard campaign. It was Imogene Niewkirk, a prominent PETA member that made the observation a boy=a dog=a pissant.

Whatever all that means I haven't heard of it. Hell, it doesnt even pique my curiosity.

Quote:
If PETA and HSUS had their way, there would be NO companion animals.

Why then does HSUS adopt animals out?

Quote:
And before you even berate me for not helping animals in the community, my lease FORBIDS keeping companion animals of ANY kind for any reason. Besides, I can barely take care of myself, let alone a companion Animal.

But you could volunteer at a shelter like I do. Dog walking and whatnot.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 3:05 am

Barchan wrote:
Raptor wrote:
It can mean days or over a week spent living in austere conditions with endless miles hiking over rough terrain just to get a chance at a shot at a game animal.

Oh yes. Those poor rich white guys who suffer such hardship. :roll:

Many of them are not rich and save up for years to go on a guided trophy hunt but so what if they're rich? I'm really starting to see the usual wealth envy here which is a prominent characteristic of the left.

Barchan wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Obama is black (close enough to it) therefor any disapproval or even humor can only be racism inspired. Gotcha

You've taken a quote about Trayvon Martin (a black hate crime victim) and used it in a mocking way.

Hate crime? Can you show me where those charges were formally brought against Zimmerman?

Quote:
It's racially insensitive, if not racist outright. I think human lives are more important than animal lives, but you've shown a callous contempt for both.

You'll have to work a lot harder if you even want to have a chance at making me feel naughty, especially when it's all in your imagination.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 3:09 am

For the people who hunt...

Was Cecil killed in a canned hunt situation? Or as part of wildlife management? Culling? Was it the same as traditional sport hunting? Essentially was this a hunt by your standards?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 3:10 am

Trophy hunting explained

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trophy_hunting

Quote:
Trophy hunting is the selective hunting of wild game classified as game animals. The primary motivation is to seek the oldest, and most mature animal from a given population, which is typically a male with the largest body size or largest antlers or horns. These animals have made their contribution to the gene pool and are nearing or are post-breeding age. Another motivation for the hunter may be the opportunity to participate in the management of a population by selectively removing these post breeding-age males. Parts of the animal may be kept as a hunting trophy or memorial (usually the skin, antlers, horns and/or head), the carcass itself is often used as food.

Trophy hunting has firm supporters and opponents. Public debate about trophy hunting often centers on the question of the morality of recreational hunting or the extent to which the money paid by sportsmen seeking a trophy animal provides a conservation benefit to the overall population of game animals and the rural economies where the game is hunted.

Misconceptions exist that trophy hunters just keep the head as their trophy and leave the meat of the animal to waste. It is against the law in most counties to waste legally harvested game, or any game meat that is suitable for human consumption. Hunters who do not bring the meat home from their hunts often donate to local people, or food banks such as Hunters Feeding The Hungry. Trophy hunting should not be confused with poaching, the practice of taking game illegally.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 3:21 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
What you describe is real hunting, and is not what most of us despise. What we hate are the self-indulgent rich who play great white hunter by paying to have an animal led out in front of said "would be great white hunter" to shoot.

Some people are lazy/too busy, I guess. In addition to whatever regulations are required where they go on their expensive holidays.

Lots of the trophy hunts do involve camping out and whatnot, so they've got that going for them.

I don't see baiting and leading as a problem (just a different way to go about it), even if it's not what I'd do on ground animals (the hunt itself is the best bit to me).

It's kinda like when you're a fisherman; you can do it all yourself, or you can pay someone to do it all for you (charter). Both end up in a similar outcome. I'd only do the former, but eh, I'm not going to care about the latter if it's done ethically (with the acceptance that sometimes poor shots are made)--as long as the animal's remains are used by someone (it needn't be the killer).

The main problem I have is over-hunting, and I don't think these wealthy dudes are doing that (since it's often regulated and big business).

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 3:50 am

Personally I don't consider trophy hunting to be hunting, it is to me a business providing the opportunity to dress up and go on an adventure, where you are guaranteed to shoot something. Like a quest in a videogame, a fantasy becomes reality.

In my book hunting has to have a practical outcome like pest control, or wildlife management, or as it has historically existed, the provision of food. I don't believe that we should ignore the reality of our past, in favor of the provision of meat through mass production.

Cecil was killed in a situation where if you have the cash, you can make your fantasy a reality, in a type of disassociation from respect for life, in a country where cash is king and life is ...cheap.

The dentist has returned to work, but his ability to generate an income to support his trophy hunting hobby will suffer, I'm ok with that.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 5:18 pm

Raptor wrote:
I'm really starting to see the usual wealth envy here which is a prominent characteristic of the left.

I don't envy or hate the rich. I have righteous contempt for those who abuse their wealth.

When I see a lion, I see something that is courageous, proud, noble, and beautiful. When I see Walter James Palmer, I see the opposite of all those things. Maybe Palmer is the one who's envious of the natural beauty. :)

Barchan wrote:
Hate crime? Can you show me where those charges were formally brought against Zimmerman?

You're starting to veer off-topic there.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 5:43 pm

Barchan wrote:
Raptor wrote:
I'm really starting to see the usual wealth envy here which is a prominent characteristic of the left.

I don't envy or hate the rich. I have righteous contempt for those who abuse their wealth.

When I see a lion, I see something that is courageous, proud, noble, and beautiful. When I see Walter James Palmer, I see the opposite of all those things. Maybe Palmer is the one who's envious of the natural beauty. :)
Yeah, Palmer's the first American to go on an African Safari. :roll:
Those safaris ain't cheap and do contribute to the rather poor economy over there.

Barchan wrote:
Raptor wrote:

You're starting to veer off-topic there.

You brought up the hate crime charge. I only asked that you be specific.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 6:44 pm

Raptor wrote:
I dont know that I'd even call it significant in a comparative sense. It DOES occur and there are people that provide that kind of service but I've never known any hunter to partake in it. Most hunters at least scoff at it.

We have a local guiding service that provides just such a service for rocky mountain big horn sheep. Obviously they're not well liked by the local hunters, but that doesn't stop out of staters from using it, apparently enough to cover the trivial Colorado DOW fines. I agree, it's not a huge issue, but it has to be fought, not just for the sake of ecology, but the rights of legit hunters.
Raptor wrote:
What's with you people and this Trump obsession?

Truly I could care less, he's just a product of mainstream media. But I do take offense to his sons claiming they're legitimate when it's so obvious they're not. It's like Dukakis jumping in a tank and acting like a soldier-- public figures playing an act should be called out.
Raptor wrote:
I think most state's regulations on methods, seasons, bag limits, and what kind of weapon can and can't be used to take game are fair enough and well thought out. Too strict and fewer people hunt and that itself causes conservation issues. I can see by your scoped rifle comment that you don't know very much about this subject. I've heard it all before over and over.

If bow and arrows are just as hard to use as scoped rifles with then why doesn't our military still use them? It's because they are easier to use. Just because I don't hunt doesn't mean I don't shoot-- I live in hickville remember, it's practically a social requirement here. I'm not saying ban guns or anything like that, I'm saying changing the hunting culture to promote old school methods. I have a few friends that switched to bow hunting, mainly due to easier scheduling since it's a different season in Colorado, and neither of them will go back. They both like the challenge it provides. Disclaimer second hand source: they've both mentioned it's no longer tracking a game trail, but now making sure they're in the appropriate location to actually connect with a shot. My estimation is they have to get much closer and probably have to have much better hand eye coordination to actually connect.
Raptor wrote:
So where's the 10 question challenge that you want me to man up to in this thread?
Will there be one?
Will the "audience" again see how right and intellectually gifted you are and what a ball-less loser I am?
The suspense is killing us all, I'm sure.

No need, you've been civil. I don't go looking for fights over mere opinion, but that doesn't mean I won't engage them either. I'm not the "meek" liberal you have in mind, I'm from Colorado we do things differently here. :wink:

I do agree this particular lion is getting too much attention, but it's also a case where it was a hammed hunt, that's the only reason I'm here. I hate fake bravado with a passion. Real hunters don't need a guide to throw them out meat, they actually hunt. Sometimes they come home empty handed, that's part of the game, and tbh people that basically pay for a kill don't really get it. As for the Obama picture, I don't see racism of any kind in it, it's probably previous posts in other topics that have people breathing down your neck. I'd rather stick to the issues, and race isn't one here nor should it be.

edit: missed a point about bows vs rifles.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 7:01 pm

Raptor wrote:
Those safaris ain't cheap and do contribute to the rather poor economy over there.

I would argue that foreign trade undermines African economies by making them dependent on the US dollar. I don't think anyone in Africa was "impoverished" before westerners started telling them they were.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 12:09 am

Barchan wrote:
Raptor wrote:

I would argue that foreign trade undermines African economies by making them dependent on the US dollar. I don't think anyone in Africa was "impoverished" before westerners started telling them they were.

Most of sub-Saharan Africa is notoriously poor.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 1:56 am

Aristophanes wrote:
Raptor wrote:
I dont know that I'd even call it significant in a comparative sense. It DOES occur and there are people that provide that kind of service but I've never known any hunter to partake in it. Most hunters at least scoff at it.

We have a local guiding service that provides just such a service for rocky mountain big horn sheep. Obviously they're not well liked by the local hunters, but that doesn't stop out of staters from using it, apparently enough to cover the trivial Colorado DOW fines. I agree, it's not a huge issue, but it has to be fought, not just for the sake of ecology, but the rights of legit hunters.

It's another form of tourism.

Aristophanes wrote:
Raptor wrote:
What's with you people and this Trump obsession?

Truly I could care less, he's just a product of mainstream media. But I do take offense to his sons claiming they're legitimate when it's so obvious they're not. It's like Dukakis jumping in a tank and acting like a soldier-- public figures playing an act should be called out.

Oh please.
They're too rich to be bothered with being called out. You can't even effectively call me out online without being mocked and f****d with so what makes you think you can call out the Trumps?

Aristophanes wrote:
Raptor wrote:
I think most state's regulations on methods, seasons, bag limits, and what kind of weapon can and can't be used to take game are fair enough and well thought out. Too strict and fewer people hunt and that itself causes conservation issues. I can see by your scoped rifle comment that you don't know very much about this subject. I've heard it all before over and over.

If bow and arrows are just as hard to use as scoped rifles with then why doesn't our military still use them? It's because they are easier to use. Just because I don't hunt doesn't mean I don't shoot-- I live in hickville remember, it's practically a social requirement here. I'm not saying ban guns or anything like that, I'm saying changing the hunting culture to promote old school methods. I have a few friends that switched to bow hunting, mainly due to easier scheduling since it's a different season in Colorado, and neither of them will go back. They both like the challenge it provides. Disclaimer second hand source: they've both mentioned it's no longer tracking a game trail, but now making sure they're in the appropriate location to actually connect with a shot. My estimation is they have to get much closer and probably have to have much better hand eye coordination to actually connect.

Comparing military use of rifles to hunting is an apples to oranges comparison.
Back to hunting; a good archer will typically have better success than a sh***y rifleman. It's about being where the animals are then FINDING them for starters. After that comes the killing. It takes more time to master the bow than the rifle and most hunters don't even take enough time to come close to mastering the rifle. I have an old 1960's Ben Pearson Cougar recurve that I bought at a yard sale shoot in my back yard. It's one unforgiving MF'er if I don't take the time to shoot it very regularly.
The rifle, of course, has a huge distance advantage but you have to FIND something to shoot at first and then be proficient enough to hit it.

There is a growing trend toward traditional archery (i.e. recurve and longbow) from compound bows but people have to WANT to do it. You can only preach and promote so much and only so many will bother to listen.

I don't like inline muzzleloaders being used during muzzleloader season, either. Using smokeless powder, saboted rifle bullets, scopes, and all that other s**t they totally defeat the purpose of having a special muzzleloader season. They are butt ugly, too.
Oh well, though. They are legal and apparently don't place any game animal population in peril so I guess I'll suck it up and not fret too much over it. It is what it is.

Aristophanes wrote:
Raptor wrote:
So where's the 10 question challenge that you want me to man up to in this thread?
Will there be one?
Will the "audience" again see how right and intellectually gifted you are and what a ball-less loser I am?
The suspense is killing us all, I'm sure.

No need, you've been civil.

I'm always civil. I just employ salty wit which precipitates butthurt in some of the the more thin skinned and neurotic. :twisted:

Aristophanes wrote:
I don't go looking for fights over mere opinion, but that doesn't mean I won't engage them either. I'm not the "meek" liberal you have in mind, I'm from Colorado we do things differently here. :wink:

Like I said before, I enjoy a liberal with some spunk but most of them I've encountered here that did have spunk eventually ran out of it and cried to the mods. I'd get TOS's from the mods demanding that I stop teasing them and the party's over. :(

Quote:
I do agree this particular lion is getting too much attention, but it's also a case where it was a hammed hunt, that's the only reason I'm here. I hate fake bravado with a passion.

The world's full of fake bravado and this case is only one turd in a sea of s**t. This case has been sensationalised and is therefore tugging on the heartstrings of those with nothing better to do but be outraged. It's as much wealth envy as anything.

Quote:
Real hunters don't need a guide to throw them out meat, they actually hunt. Sometimes they come home empty handed, that's part of the game, and tbh people that basically pay for a kill don't really get it.

"Real hunters" on unfamiliar grounds use guides to make up for thier lack of familiarity. GPS and satellite imagery don't tell you everything when you're in a large and unfamiliar wilderness. That an knowledge of the area's game habitat and the movements of the animals themselves. In effect, it's really no different than going hunting with a friend that knows the area well except with a guide you're paying for it. There are outfitters and guides that specialize in archery, too.

It's not like the average guide lassos a grizzly bear and drags it in front of the so called "hunter" so shoot at his leisure. There is "ranch hunting" that is similar to that where you go on private property and pay simply to shoot something (usually an exotic game animal) but that's a different thing altogether and a piss poor excuse for hunting.

Quote:
As for the Obama picture, I don't see racism of any kind in it,
Think I'd care if you did?

Quote:
it's probably previous posts in other topics that have people breathing down your neck.

Residual butthurt will do it every time.
Let them breath down my neck all they want.
It feels goooood. :D

Quote:
I'd rather stick to the issues, and race isn't one here nor should it be.
Thread derailment and hijacking here and PPR (where this thread belongs) is so common most of us don't notice (or care) when it happens.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 4:29 am

Raptor wrote:
Many of them are not rich and save up for years to go on a guided trophy hunt but so what if they're rich? I'm really starting to see the usual wealth envy here which is a prominent characteristic of the left.

erm, I think the issue is they use their wealth to slaughter defenseless animals.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 9:37 am

Supposedly it's the aspie person who gets bullied, but here I observe that Raptor is being the bully.

Back off - your sarcasm, judgmental tone, mocking and ridicule of others make for an overall hostile climate. Yes, I am calling you out, Raptor. Sure, you can get away with being like this, but you will not be loved.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 9:53 am

Barchan wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Spare me the tired old " It's the West's fault that the Third World is impoverished" saw. Both Canada and the U.S. ( pre-Federal Reserve Act) had a shortage of ready capital in the 1800's. Many investors in Western Europe funneled money into North America, thereby helping us to develop our resources and to enrich our countries as a whole. The only difference between what is happening there and what happened here is that the Third World is run by notoriously corrupt elites who treat the people and resources of their various countries as their personal property.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 10:18 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Supposedly it's the aspie person who gets bullied, but here I observe that Raptor is being the bully.

Back off - your sarcasm, judgmental tone, mocking and ridicule of others make for an overall hostile climate. Yes, I am calling you out, Raptor. Sure, you can get away with being like this, but you will not be loved.

Who was it two pages ago that tried to silence me with false accusations of racism?
Maybe you should practice what you preach.