Skylanders seem almost as rare as Amiibo now...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 8:01 pm

Seriously, I don't see many anywhere near me....it's like every store suddenly decided people only care about Disney Infinity. Really ticks me off, especially since Trap Team figures have the same re-seller issues that unicorn Amiibo have ( IE, the a-holes think it's actually okay to charge hundreds of dollars for a $10-30 toy/pack... ). And what makes the problem WORSE is that you physically can't 100% Trap Team without the light & dark element expansion packs ( $100+ each online due to the previously mentioned a-holes ), the other 2 adventure packs, a Trap Master of each element ( light & dark come in the expansion packs, water comes in the starter set ) and a trap of each element ( light & dark in the expansions, water & life in the starter set ). Really grinds my gears....

Anyone else into Skylanders? Are you as frustrated with this as I am, or do you get few enough games overall to get all the Skylanders figures early on? Being a hardcore game AND a collector sucks sometimes....

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 8:08 pm

If you're having trouble finding Skylanders, it's due to the fact that Activision and retailers are actively liquidating the stock for the new wave coming this November.

They literally do this every year to move the existing stock before the new stock comes, same for Disney Infinity.
Retailers have been holding massive sales on them throughout the summer.

Amiibo on the other hand has been seeing their shipments increase to retailers (especially in NA), though retailers refuse to put limits on how many you can buy of each in demand character and to send enough to certain stores.
Nintendo keeps upping the shipment to North America and world each month (whether or not retailers place a big enough order is a different story!)

Amiibos are becoming easier to find, which ironically has led to people around the world complaining about them being too common, hurting their rarity (yes those who once complained about the lack of stock are the ones now complaining about plentiful stock).

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 8:55 pm

I think it depends *alot* on the area. Here, there's Skylanders everywhere. Damn things are like roaches. Usually in really oversized racks. I am frankly tired of seeing them.

But Amiibos? Hahaha NOPE. You're not finding those here. Recently those have actually gotten WORSE. I hadnt thought that could happen; I was wrong. I'm told it's not likely to change, either, not anytime soon. Though, that's usually my assumption with most things in this area.

Mostly though, if you wanna buy things that ARENT food and clothes here (there's about 70 trillion stores selling either, ugh), well, good luck with that. Or generic electronics, that works too.

But Skylanders? Yyyyyyyyep. Gots a BAZILLION of those damn things around here. Seriously, even the blasted supermarkets have.... so very many. And that's not even speaking of the Gamestops.

Disney Whatever seems to sorta sit in the middle, around here. It occurs to me that I dont hear people talk about that one much lately.

There's always Ebay or Amazon or whatever though, if they're becoming too annoying to get for you.

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 11:25 pm

the annualization crap is definitely part of the problem, but I've never had this much trouble finding Skylanders until very recently ( over the last 4 months or so... ). I don't get the reasoning behind this, why only give people a year to collect them when all it does is tick them off and give re-seller douchebags an excuse to make us want to stab them? Activision does care about money right? :wall:

and the location bit is annoying too...I live in a small town and my ONLY options aside from online are Wal-Mart ( 99% Disney Infinity ), Target ( 99% Disney Infinity ) and Gamestop ( best selection, but still not a lot ). Plus, I have no vehicle or license and Gamestop & Target are very hard to walk to ( especially in the heat, the rain or during winter ). As far as online goes, Amazon & Ebay aren't any help when the ones I want are being posted for at least triple the actual cost by a-hole re-sellers...my local Walgreens had some Skylanders for a while, but not anymore. I can buy both Trap Team and 1 version of Superchargers for what it would cost for just 1 element expansion pack online ( by 1 version of the new Skylanders game, I mean I plan on getting the Xbox One version but also the 3DS version for Bowser and the Wii U dark edition for Donkey Kong )...

LordRikerQ
Raven
Raven

12 Sep 2015, 3:43 am

I don't get the big deal with skylanders or amiibo, the only toys to life I can get into is Disney infinity, though Lego dimensions has caught my eye

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2015, 1:03 pm

LordRikerQ wrote:
I don't get the big deal with skylanders or amiibo, the only toys to life I can get into is Disney infinity, though Lego dimensions has caught my eye

Well the Amiibo appeal mainly to Nintendo fans ( like myself ), and Skylanders is actually a great series ( aside from the annoying annualization of it and difficulty getting the toys sometimes )with good writing, great humor, lots of unique characters to play as, and amazing gameplay...honestly I personally don't get the appeal to Disney Infinity. I mean I love Disney ( especially Marvel & Star Wars ) but you can't use say Spider-Man to play through Pirates of the Caribbean or Baymax in Star Wars; they ONLY way to mix & match characters is in toy box mode. Just not for me ( though I am tempted to grab a few Star Wars & Marvel characters based purely on the amazing sculpts )

LordRikerQ
Raven
Raven

13 Sep 2015, 8:05 pm

newageretrohippie wrote:
LordRikerQ wrote:

Well the Amiibo appeal mainly to Nintendo fans ( like myself ), and Skylanders is actually a great series ( aside from the annoying annualization of it and difficulty getting the toys sometimes )with good writing, great humor, lots of unique characters to play as, and amazing gameplay...honestly I personally don't get the appeal to Disney Infinity. I mean I love Disney ( especially Marvel & Star Wars ) but you can't use say Spider-Man to play through Pirates of the Caribbean or Baymax in Star Wars; they ONLY way to mix & match characters is in toy box mode. Just not for me ( though I am tempted to grab a few Star Wars & Marvel characters based purely on the amazing sculpts )

I have done some research and I discovered that it's claimed skylanders is more for children as adults won't find anything reconizable in skylanders being it's a new property.

And for amiibo, it's mostly for collectors because the figures aren't used in many games and even then it's basically to unlock bonus items.

Do you feel that's true? I do have a Wii u but I don't seem to own any of the amiibo compatible games, and it was mostly lack of interest I don't own smash bros or Mario kart.

Lol okay, you can villianize me for mostly disliking the old Nintendo properties (Zelda,smash bros, Mario) about the only Nintendo branded games I like is Pokemon and super Mario 3 and Mario 64