Does your diagnosis make you feel like a special snowflake?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 3:43 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Even as a little kid, long before my diagnosis, people said I was talented and intelligent. My teachers and family members were very supportive and would call me a "future artist". When I became a teen, however, it seemed that my art was all I cared about, and then I was being told by teachers that I was *not* special, and there was no reason at all for me to be failing in school or not getting along with other students, and my mother would lecture me about taking up other interests. A therapist even told me that my only wanting to draw cartoons instead of moving on to "better" art like canvas painting was like a baby not learning to walk because they think they're just fine crawling around.

I guess you can understand why I might idolize my early childhood a little too much.

What an ignorant therapist...I mean as if all the cartoons in news papers and such are made by babies...lol.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 3:46 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Yes, definitely. I knew pretty well I was not normal by like age 6, when prior to that in Kindergarten I was removed from the "normal" school and placed in "psychoed." I would be in special ed for most of school, mostly kept away from the "normal" kids, mainstreaming only briefly from time to time until finally in 10th grade I shook free of special ed for good (though I still had an IEP until I graduated).

When in school, I desperately wanted to be "normal." Still, even today, I have trouble thinking of myself as "normal," and consider myself to be fundamentally different from other people. The thought, though, is often not pleasant.

I get the feeling of wanting to be normal. I still want to be normal. I just think that there's a good "special" and a bad "special". I kind of feel like if I'm special in a good way that will overshadow the bad stuff.
For me the bad stuff is stuff like being disabled. Good stuff is stuff is being a prodigy or having an alternative style. I can't make myself a prodigy, but I can make myself have an alternative style. Kind of finding it hard because I still have my natural hair color.

I've never dyed my hair...and most would likely describe my styles as 'alternative' at least alternative to normal/fashionable dress of people in my age group. Of course dying hair some crazy color will certainly make you stand out more making your alternative style more visible.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 3:59 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Even as a little kid, long before my diagnosis, people said I was talented and intelligent. My teachers and family members were very supportive and would call me a "future artist". When I became a teen, however, it seemed that my art was all I cared about, and then I was being told by teachers that I was *not* special, and there was no reason at all for me to be failing in school or not getting along with other students, and my mother would lecture me about taking up other interests. A therapist even told me that my only wanting to draw cartoons instead of moving on to "better" art like canvas painting was like a baby not learning to walk because they think they're just fine crawling around.

Reminds me of my sister and how she would imply I wasn't really a piano player because I was only interested in playing a few tunes. But I played them well and had a whole routine worked around playing them.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 4:00 pm

Dying one's hair is a good way to get people to think one is trying too hard to be special.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 4:48 pm

starkid wrote:
Dying one's hair is a good way to get people to think one is trying too hard to be special.

And people will end up ignoring stuff that does make me special! Which is my goal.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 3:38 am

Throughout all of elementary school, I felt perpetually stupid, slow, and lost, because I could never keep up with what everyone else in class was doing (no time to adjust to a rapidly changing schedule), felt like I never knew what was going on, and was completely befuddled by the idea of making friends. In middle school, I felt special, because I was smart and loved school compared to my classmates and friend (singular). I was pleased when she would playfully call me a geek or a nerd, or tell me to stop working on my math homework during lunch; it just reaffirmed the feeling that I was smarter and more interested in school than anyone else. By high school, I became disdainful of, and disappointed by my peers, who I saw as immature and with poor priorities (friends, parties, drinking, school dances, etc.) They also started bullying me more (they did in middle school too, but considerably less). I'd hear girls whispering about me behind my back, laughing at things I did or said. Even in class, if I gave answers that others thought were strange, or asked "annoying" questions, I could see the sighs, the eye-rolls, hear the quiet snickering. I felt like a freak, and avoided them as best I could.

It wasn't until I finally learned about autism, and subsequently got my diagnosis last year, that all the pieces finally fell into place. Now I feel equal parts unique and freakish. People (even my own family, on occasion) still call me weird when I do things that throw them off, and not in a nice way either. At the same time, I'm proud of the abilities my autism gives me, like my excellent memory and insatiable love of facts and information, as well as my single-minded, goal-oriented drive. I pride myself on having known exactly what I wanted to do with my life from the time I was seventeen, while I watch my sister, who's close to starting college, bounce from idea to idea every week, with no solid plan for what her future will look like. I suppose I do feel like a "special snowflake", not in the "I'm better than everyone else" sense, but in the "I'm quite different (in both good and bad ways) from everyone else" sense.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 4:07 am

I don't feel special, I feel different. My development is at a different pace than some people, and my maturity is different than my peers.

There's times when I feel like I'm in between being normal and having a disability. I know my limits, but sometimes it makes me feel embarrassed to not be as independent as my peers. I really do want to be a productive, law-abiding citizen of the United States of America, but sometimes I feel like I'm afraid I won't ever be independent. If not, then hopefully my boyfriend can be there to support me and vice versa.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Sep 2015, 10:57 pm

It used to make me feel special as in the polite word for mentally handicapped but I don't really feel that way nowadays & I don't think of myself as in being very special either.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 11:26 pm

nick007 wrote:
It used to make me feel special as in the polite word for mentally handicapped but I don't really feel that way nowadays & I don't think of myself as in being very special either.

Which diagnosis? Your profile says Asperger's - Undiagnosed.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Sep 2015, 11:31 pm

starkid wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Which diagnosis? Your profile says Asperger's - Undiagnosed.
Dyslexia & ADD & having Aspergers in general.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 1:26 am

I remember when "special snowflake" was first popularized in mainstream culture. It was mostly seen on bumper stickers for Waldorf & other similar charter schools, as in, "My child is a special snowflake at XYZ charter school". I'd been an outsider my entire life, no matter how hard I tried to fit in or was forced to try to fit in. So the term to me seemed a bit...meaningless, like saying, "Good Job!! !" with too much enthusiasm after every normal, easy thing a child did. As a child, I was shamed into trying to hide everything different about myself, both the good and bad. Btw? Not good for long term emotional health.

Eventually we had kids. And our oldest is every bit as neurally atypical as I was/am. But she is being allowed to explore it and we're teaching her to find workarounds & celebrations for things like sensory issues, OCD, atypical gender, etc.. And in doing so, I discovered that it really is okay to be different, especially if you have some sort of strengths you enjoy (even if they seem stupid or weird to outsiders). And its good to learn to be proud of being different, despite the difficulties inherent to whatever makes you different. Especially if you can find a few other people who are likewise different. Just look at history; few if any of the truly stand out, amazing people have been NT.

So now my answer to those bumper stickers is,

"Your child may be a special snowflake, but mine's a freaking FIREBALL!"

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

12 Sep 2015, 2:28 am

I don't understand what is meant by special snowflake but no, I feel quite isolated and alone. My diagnosis makes me feel less than, inadequate, I don't get any good feeling about it. It's a disability and my life sucks.

qFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Sep 2015, 7:48 pm

On the contrary, I became aware of the giant target that was painted on my back for people to exploit. I became more skeptic and hardened, since I realized that a lot of people in the past took advantage of me. They would pretend to be my friend and made me do their work or give them money that I never got back.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2015, 7:29 am

Yes and no.
Dx was a huge relief. I´ve gone through heaps of self examining (after 60 years ) and "Aha-moments" - and I´m still at it on a more sophisticated level, - discovering, that my lingering doubt comes from not being able to see, that I´m different (Nope. Others are different!) - because of failing TOM/sense of social rules and why.

In this proces, the feeling of being special tends to become a wee bit exaggerated at times.

I was brought up like a special potatoe (not snowflake) - absolutely hating it and feeling like a creep, but now I want to recognize my difference and embrace it.

That being achieved, I´ll probably just BE :)

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 9:09 pm

The special snowflake slur reminds one Russian, who today lives in Ireland, of his time growing up in the Soviet Union:

https://ramendik.wordpress.com/2013/07/ ... ns-people/

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 5:40 am

Herman wrote:
Makes me think that no one is a unique snowflake. But Aspies are the least unique of all, because we all fit the description so precisely!

No we don't.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html