Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2015, 9:00 am

The_Walrus wrote:
I don't think they would. I just Googled, and it seems that "lifestyle" is followed by rich retirees with large cash reserves who go to countries with low living costs where they can be super-rich.

I read a whole CNN article before I posted.

See here, http://money.cnn.com/2008/10/23/pf/coll ... fugitives/

The_Walrus wrote:
Again, why don't you try it yourself if you're so sure that your current life is no better?

I would do it myself actually. However, it is not being offered. I would love to walk away from an under water mortgage and be debt free.

However, there are people that murder their whole family because of debt. Search google, "man murders family because of debt". You will get many many pages of it.

The Syrian refuges don't know what hardship is being debt slave.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2015, 9:23 am

I am priviledged being British, because the things which cost elsewhere are free here. It is possible to get to the top from poverty. I noticed the boys from Rugby School which has very high fees toning down their upper class accents. It is true they have a good start, but I've had friends whose children have gone to Cambridge University after attending a comprehensive school. So much of success is in the mind. Children from lower class backgrounds often do not have the belief that success can be possible. They don't have the motivation to work hard.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2015, 10:29 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
The poor do not even have the luxury of having some of the problems the very wealthy face....

For instance we'll never know what its like to loose a million dollars whilst still keeping millionaire status...might know what its like to lose a significantly less amount of money you really needed, or have someone rob you at a time of great inconvenience....or have to live on the streets and/or in crappy rooming situations due to financial hardship. Must really be so hard on the very wealthy.

The notion that the rich aren't really privileged is nothing short of absurd. Even with the so called "drawbacks" that comes with being rich, they will never know the disadvantages of being poor.
For the record: being a snob is hardly a drawback of wealth.

So you believe in materialism?

ma·te·ri·al·ism
a tendency to consider material possessions and physical comfort as more important than spiritual values.

The poor have disadvantages however ...

Spiritual values don't feed your family, or treat them when their sick or hurt. That's how material wealth is an advantage.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Sep 2015, 11:38 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
I don't think they would. I just Googled, and it seems that "lifestyle" is followed by rich retirees with large cash reserves who go to countries with low living costs where they can be super-rich.

I read a whole CNN article before I posted.

See here, http://money.cnn.com/2008/10/23/pf/coll ... fugitives/

The_Walrus wrote:
Again, why don't you try it yourself if you're so sure that your current life is no better?

I would do it myself actually. However, it is not being offered. I would love to walk away from an under water mortgage and be debt free.

The Syrian refuges don't know what hardship is being debt slave.

You would move to a war zone in order to get out of your mortgage?

Worst case scenario, you declare bankrupcy and get out of your debt. You can't declare pacifism and get out of ISIS.

Quote:
However, there are people that murder their whole family because of debt. Search google, "man murders family because of debt". You will get many many pages of it.

I got one result - this page.

Less specific searching threw up a few things, including this page - it's not debt, but rather breadwinners feeling they are losing control.

And of course, people all over the world can be in debt or poverty.

Rollo
Raven
Raven

13 Sep 2015, 3:34 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Analogous to Newton's third law of motion, and the expression, "you can't get something for nothing", it seems to me that for every advantage comes an equal disadvantage, so there is no privilege.

You make a huge leap here.

You go from "wealth may sometimes have disadvantages" to "the advantages of wealth are exactly balanced by the disadvantages".

Agreed.

LoveNotHate, of course privilege exists. If you don't like being accused of having privilege, rather than trying to prove that privilege itself doesn't exist, you might find it's more effective to say "so what?". Privilege isn't bad in itself - it depends what sort of privilege you are talking about.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 5:15 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
The poor do not even have the luxury of having some of the problems the very wealthy face....

For instance we'll never know what its like to loose a million dollars whilst still keeping millionaire status...might know what its like to lose a significantly less amount of money you really needed, or have someone rob you at a time of great inconvenience....or have to live on the streets and/or in crappy rooming situations due to financial hardship. Must really be so hard on the very wealthy.

The notion that the rich aren't really privileged is nothing short of absurd. Even with the so called "drawbacks" that comes with being rich, they will never know the disadvantages of being poor.
For the record: being a snob is hardly a drawback of wealth.

So you believe in materialism?

ma·te·ri·al·ism
a tendency to consider material possessions and physical comfort as more important than spiritual values.

The poor have disadvantages however ...

Oh a blatantly false quote, there is not a corresponding advantage for every disadvantage....just because you found an internet meme/quote of someone who thinks that.

Its very clear you're simply ignorant on the issue of poverty, class division and the failure of the trickle down economy that's been attempted in this country.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 5:22 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
I agree that the point spread of life is probably somewhat less than it appears, and that folks (famous rich folks perhaps) you may envy may be less enviable than they appear, and folks you pity, may be less worse off than you than they appear. But to suggest that its all truly equal is absurd.

If you really believe that then go to Europe and tell that to all of the refugees fleeing Syria: tell them to go back to Syria because the advantages of living in a war devastated country with ethnic cleansing equals the disadvantages so "there is no privilege in being outside of Syria". The EU would love you if you could persuade those thousands to turn around and go back.

- Those Syrian refugees probably have 0 debt, unlike many "debt slave" Westerners.
- They have more freedom since they are not tied to a job and locale.
- They are getting free stuff from people.

Many Americans would sign up for "Syrian refugee lifestyle" in a heartbeat. Just search Google, "Americans go overseas to escape debt".