Turning interest into special interest

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

winston112
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Sep 2015, 8:35 am

As soon as something turns into a "must" for me, I tend to lose the passion that I used to have for the subject. Also, the things I'm most passionately interested in at the moment are worthless stuff that can't take me anywhere in life. I'm thinking, if it would be possible to learn how to have that same passion that I have for the worthless stuff, but for more important things, like my education. I want to study and work with something that I feel obsessed with, but the obsession has always faded when I have tried to make a career out of it. What do you think? Any advices?

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 10:48 am

winston112 wrote:
Any advices?

Yes! There's no plural for advice. It's not 'advices'! It's just advice.

But to answer your question. What was your question?

I've found, you can't force something to be a Special Interest. It just 'comes'.

Your Special Interests find you. You don't find them. They just happen! I've tried to force new ones when my 15 year + SI died (got killed by Oracle).

If you can turn your Special Interest into your vocation, then "You're gonna be livin' like a King"!

I could have but I was never driven enough by monetary wealth to care enough to do it. Besides, I was afraid if they got me programming boring s#!t, it would kill my interest in programming.

I've been lucky in so far as I've been able to coach my employers into letting me write whatever software I like because I have a knack of writing software (which isn't even my job) that assists my department to no end. Unfortunately, I don't get paid any more for it. But at least, I get to do what I like!
:)

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

winston112
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Sep 2015, 10:59 am

ImAnAspie wrote:
winston112 wrote:
Any advices?

I've found, you can't force something to be a Special Interest. It just 'comes'.

Your Special Interests find you. You don't find them. They just happen! I've tried to force new ones when my 15 year + SI died (got killed by Oracle).

If you can turn your Special Interest into your vocation, then "You're gonna be livin' like a King"!

I could have but I was never driven enough by monetary wealth to care enough to do it. Besides, I was afraid if they got me programming boring s#!t, it would kill my interest in programming.

I've been lucky in so far as I've been able to coach my employers into letting me write whatever software I like because I have a knack of writing software (which isn't even my job) that assists my department to no end. Unfortunately, I don't get paid any more for it. But at least, I get to do what I like!

Thank you for the remark about the plural of advice. I thought it looked a bit weird. I'm german, so my english is far from perfect.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 11:05 am

winston112 wrote:
ImAnAspie wrote:
winston112 wrote:
Any advices?

Thank you for the remark about the plural of advice. I thought it looked a bit weird. I'm german, so my english is far from perfect.

Don't worry. You'll get there. You're doing well :)

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.