I'm expected to be or I want to be, but I'm not very good at it. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Not really. 29%  29%  [ 12 ]
I run from competitive situations. Or hide. 22%  22%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 41

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 6:59 pm

I've noticed that my AS daughter is highly competitive, even though it causes her incredible amounts of stress and over-stimulation, both internally and by pushing her into bad stimulus environments. I don't know if I'd be that way, as I had an exceedingly structured & controlled environment as a child & once I was broken, repressed most of who I was. So, I'm wondering if you consider yourself (or other people tell you you are) highly competitive, if it works for you and if it causes stress, how you accommodate or avoid it.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 7:05 pm

I think it might be part of autistic "taking things too seriously".
Some of us pick up on the huge competition theme in modern media and go overboard in our heads.

Diagnosed in 2005

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 7:12 pm

I'm very competitive - came in handy during nursing school. However, I didn't pick "always must win" because I'm also a realist and know it's impossible to always be #1. When I don't win I'm my own worst enemy because I dwell on it excessively and what I did wrong that made me not win. I don't quit. I will keep at it until I get the desired result - which sometimes has taken years.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Crazyfool
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2015, 7:16 pm

I like a good challenge and I love coming out on top. We used to do the dumbest stuff as kids to try and out do one another, bike races down hills going faster then the cars, arm wrestle, flip tractor tires, going inside of a giant tractor tire with 2 other guys then rolling down a huge hill while inside it (got a video of that one, what a rush), cliff jumping, polar bear swimming, seeing who would climb the highest tree, seeing who could take the most shots to bare skin from a paintball gun, atomic wing challenge at our local bar, who could lift more weight, basement boxing matches, streaking down mainstreet while the firemans festival was going on and people were everywhere...basically if you said I couldn't/ wouldn't do it...I'd prove you wrong or damn near die trying.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 7:41 pm

I compete with myself to be the best version of me that I can be. I am always seeking to improve and refine everything that I do.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 9:43 pm

Do any of you who are highly competitive feel stress or anxiety because of it? And if so, how to do you handle that, please?

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 9:54 pm

I like to win. Especially when I play games.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 11:41 pm

I hate competition, but I am a perfectionist and a very hard worker, so in a way, I normally end up doing better than others or winning.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 12:27 am

Edenthiel wrote:
Do any of you who are highly competitive feel stress or anxiety because of it? And if so, how to do you handle that, please?

Yes. Usually I'm short tempered, don't sleep well. During my college algebra class (one of my worst times) I was crying all the time from the stress of not understanding things - it took me hours just to understand a few concepts and I also had a tutor who was a math instructor at another college and I also was asking my professor about 10-15 questions a day (he was a life saver). I also got to a point where I couldn't eat because nothing was digesting (I get that a lot now with stress and no exercise) and I lost about 8 lbs in one week. It was just liquid diet for several weeks. I came out with an A. There were only 7 of us left by the end out of 30. After class was over my symptoms disappeared in a couple weeks.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 1:13 am

RUN! RUN!
This is how not to enjoy my life. Took me time to find out, I used to be very competitive and burnt out from it.
I prefer to just be in peace with the world.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 6:18 am

I'm not competitive even I tried to. I get anxious about competitions even I'm aware that I'm 'better'.

Or maybe I'm just never confident.

However, that doesn't mean I'm incompetent. I just don't gamble on things or to 'win' to get serious. I prefer my own pace and learn, not trying hard to keep up on others. If anything, I prefer to be apathetic whomsoever wins.

And what's worse is winning doesn't motivate me. Sometimes it motivates me to hold back and get the 2nd place or worse. Even if I get to win, I don't feel any better... Especially if I do things halfheartedly and end up winning, I end up being confused or frustrated about it. Sometimes, I wonder why is this...?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 12:18 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
I'm not competitive even I tried to. I get anxious about competitions even I'm aware that I'm 'better'.

Or maybe I'm just never confident.

However, that doesn't mean I'm incompetent. I just don't gamble on things or to 'win' to get serious. I prefer my own pace and learn, not trying hard to keep up on others. If anything, I prefer to be apathetic whomsoever wins.

And what's worse is winning doesn't motivate me. Sometimes it motivates me to hold back and get the 2nd place or worse. Even if I get to win, I don't feel any better... Especially if I do things halfheartedly and end up winning, I end up being confused or frustrated about it. Sometimes, I wonder why is this...?

I understand this, I think, although my reasons may be different? For me anyway, it feels much better to accomplish something via cooperation. I don't think I *want* to win. That may be learned, though, as I was brought up to never, every draw attention to my quirkiness in any way. I also learned through experience that people didn't like it or me when I won, no matter how I acted about it.

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2015, 2:59 pm

If it's something I'm really skilled at it (or love playing) then yes extremely, but other than that then competitiveness is a big no no for me.

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 1 out of 200
Alexithymia Questionnaire: 166/185 AQ: 49/50 EQ: 9/80

Last edited by TheRedPedant93 on 11 Sep 2015, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 3:08 pm

:jester:

Noca wrote:
I compete with myself to be the best version of me that I can be. I am always seeking to improve and refine everything that I do.

Same here

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Sep 2015, 10:47 pm

I'm not competitive at all. I care about having fun &/or doing things right.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 10:59 pm

Not really. In fact often I feel like I am just a born loser. And when I do try really hard at something like a contest for best art or Halloween costume but someone else wins, I feel like what I did just wasn't good enough. Sometimes I think the judges thought I was cheating as a kid because my drawing skills were like that of an older person. In fact, I found out one time the judges really had thought I was cheating at first! It took someone who had seen my drawings to convince them otherwise.