Page 6 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

AlanSmithee
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Oct 2015, 10:40 am

League_Girl wrote:
AlanSmithee wrote:
As a test, I created a Castle level where there were 3 giant Bowsers, a solid wall blocking the Goal/Axe, and no Items to help you.

You win by just walking out the Door to the other side of the wall.

I called it "Know When To Fold 'Em."

If you haven't posted any of your course IDs here, you should post your course ID so we can play it.

After some tweaking (and OCD), I think I've finally come up with a satisfactory result:

4DA6-0000-00CD-8420

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 12:32 pm

AlanSmithee wrote:
After some tweaking (and OCD), I think I've finally come up with a satisfactory result:

4DA6-0000-00CD-8420

yeah i get the same problem. in the past, i had really bad habit of uploading stuff then taking it down a few hours (or even a few days) later because of one minor detail i just HAD TO change.

nowadays, i always wait a few days after the last edit before uploading. that way i can be sure i have enough time to think of something i want to change.

AlanSmithee
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Oct 2015, 6:20 pm

Guess I spoke too soon.

Back to the drawing board, it seems.

P.S.: Thanks for the advice.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 8:58 am

we are all going to want to take down our old levels anyway in a few days. checkpoints are coming on the 4th.

AlanSmithee
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2015, 10:27 am

AdamAutistic wrote:
we are all going to want to take down our old levels anyway in a few days. checkpoints are coming on the 4th.

To be fair, I've played my fair share of levels that could benefit from those.

Neotenous Nordic
Toucan
Toucan

02 Nov 2015, 10:29 am

AdamAutistic wrote:

Your levels are pretty good. There's no reason to take them down as long as you haven't reached your upload limit.

If you have reached the limit and are getting stars too slowly, consider going on a bunch of different forums or reddit and promote your levels. It doesn't feel too good to do it, but it's how those top starred users did it. The top starred are mostly youtubers who make self-playing levels. Their fans love watching games, not playing them, so they don't give a s**t if the level sucks, they just give stars to the youtuber they enjoy watching.

But you have actual gameplay in your levels and they're good, so getting them up and forward is helping fight against the inflation of bad levels.

IIRC I gave you a couple stars, but I'm going to go back and star all your levels when I log on again like I did with Misery. We need to get actual levels to the front to fight against the inflation of anti-gameplay.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 10:46 am

AdamAutistic wrote:

Feh, I'm leaving mine as they are.

Too much effort to replace.

In order to keep the quality high I'd have to redesign parts of them to account for checkpoints anyway. Right now, they're balanced around the lack of those.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 1:43 pm

stars are just some internet social popularity thing. no different from "likes" or "yeahs" or whatever social networks want to use.

i make levels that i want to play, not what others want to play.

if they like my levels, good for them. i don't really care.

(you might ask why i even bother to upload levels then. i actually originally never planned to, but my brother who lives far away wanted to share levels with me, so i did the same.)

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 2:05 pm

AdamAutistic wrote:
stars are just some internet social popularity thing. no different from "likes" or "yeahs" or whatever social networks want to use.

i make levels that i want to play, not what others want to play.

if they like my levels, good for them. i don't really care.

(you might ask why i even bother to upload levels then. i actually originally never planned to, but my brother who lives far away wanted to share levels with me, so i did the same.)

If you're making levels quickly though, the stars become a practical issue, since you hit a level limit after a time. Typically, this is why people want them.

In my case, I'm just after feedback. Thanks to LittleBigPlanet though I came into this with an idea of how to get my stuff noticed, so I'm not concerned. Working out fine. Though I'm never ENTIRELY sure how people are finding my levels considering the screwball interface for that part, but... whatever, it works.

But yeah, it really is best to make levels YOU want to play. I've always believed that this should be a core thing with all types of game design. After all, if YOU dont really want to play it... how can you possibly care enough to make it as good as it can be?

It's certainly how I make all of my own levels. And basically anything else I make.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 1:20 pm

Well I just tried out the levels from the "official" creators, in the "makers" tab, and some of those, just.... WTF.

That UndoDog one, just.... what. Most disturbing use for a Goomba and a pipe ever. The pipe at the very end of the level then makes this more disturbing. I cant un-see that.

But then there's "Bowser's Puzzle Dungeon". Just.... again, WTF. How? HOW are you supposed to beat that? I was able to beat the freaking "Frustration" level, but I cant beat this one. Most people will not get past the "falling cannons" section... let alone the pure evil that makes up the parts beyond that. This might be the single most difficult level I've encountered in this. At least for now. It's also LONG. You wont hit your first checkpoint until you get past the "Yoshi walks on lava" section, and... good luck figuring out the solution for THAT part. I eventually figured it out, and it's one bloody strange solution. It involves Yoshi eating himself (no, seriously) and then Mario jamming his head between a pair of saw blades on purpose. It just gets stranger from there. I dunno what sort of maniac it was that came up with this level, but I gotta hand it to them for being creative as heck.

Out of what looks like hundreds of thousands of attempts, this has a 0.73% clear rate.

If anyone here manages to beat this one, lemme know. I'm determined as heck to do it myself and will be trying again later tonight.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 5:57 pm

just finished updating all my courses with checkpoints. i would have done it sooner, but i was too busy playing puzzles&dragons.

well, not ALL of them. just the ones i felt really needed them. which was most of them. (knowing me, i will probably go back and update the rest anyway.)

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 12:13 pm

Misery wrote:
Bowser's Puzzle Dungeon

my point of failure was that part with those falling platforms that you had to jump up at full speed for max jump height. (a little after the first checkpoint)

i just could not "for the life of me" get it right. my best attempt only got up 2 of them.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 3:00 pm

Misery wrote:
If anyone here manages to beat this one, lemme know. I'm determined as heck to do it myself and will be trying again later tonight.

i am proud to post that i did end up clearing it. i finally got the timing right on those falling blue platforms. the rest "was a breeze"

Bowser's Puzzle Dungeon Cleared