Do you need constistency in the workplace?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 5:47 pm

I've been working my new job for a few weeks now. While lawn work sounded great on paper, it turns out it's driving me crazy. Not because the work is bad (it isn't), but because there's no structure or consistency in it. I get there every morning between 6:30 and 7, but after that I have no idea what will happen. There's no schedule, except "You're done when your route is finished." That means I never know what time I'll go home, when I can take my breaks (*IF* I even have time for a break), or anything. It all depends on how many stops I'm given, how far away they are, how heavy the traffic is, and what they want me to do once I get there. Some days I'm done by 3:30, other days I'm pulling a twelve hours shift. No two shifts are the same, and while that probably doesn't sound too terrible to most people, it's stressing me out. If my schedule's too all over the place for me to plan around it, it drives me nuts. Is anybody else like this? And, more importantly, is that a legitimate reason for me to look for another job, even though I've only had this one for a month?

Nathaniel75
Raven
Raven

12 Sep 2015, 1:40 am

That sort of inconsistency sounds like it would bug me too. I know some people like that sort of random schedule, but most of the people I know don't. As for whether it is grounds for finding a new job... it really depends on how much it bothers you, and of course what the other job might be.