Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jae Rahn
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Sep 2015, 7:03 pm

Hello all, this is my first post lol.

Anyways, I've been browsing around the forums and all over google and what not, and I can't quite find an answer to my question. Bit of a Bio here: I'm Active Duty Army, and just recently half-diagnosed with AS. I say half because, the PDoc said I have it but I wanted to see for certain so I asked for some assessments. PDoc had to make sure it's okay with Behavorial Health and they said it's not necessary because if the Docs say I fit the criteria, then it's a valid diagnosis. They said in regards to my military service, if I can function prior to knowing, then I can continue to function. The whole point I'm going to therapy and a psychiatrist is because I can't function, not to mention the depression and anxiety that keeps getting worse. Bunch of other stuff but save that for later I guess.

Well, Military life I thought would be great for me. I didn't even know I had AS before I joined. But now, it's a nightmare for me. Basic and AIT were terrible, and when I got to my unit things just got worse. I'm a Medic so you can kind of guess the stress put on me on top of daily military life. I don't know if I would be able to get an MEB for this or if I should look into a Chapter 5-17.. Any advice other than to stay in? Military life isn't suiting me to well.. Didn't want to go too much on a rant so my post isn't so long.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 7:45 pm

How long a contract did you sign?

If you have less than a couple of years to go, I'd try to stick it out and get honorably discharged.

Are you in a war zone now?

Jae Rahn
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Sep 2015, 7:48 pm

I signed a 4 year contract. No War zone, my unit is only slotted to go to Korea but it's up in the air right now whether we actually go to Korea or Iraq.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 8:37 pm

i don't know whether you should stay in or try to get out. except if you've been in under six months, give yourself more time to adjust. i was in medicine and didn't like it for the first few years, but grew to love it. helping people is very rewarding. would your medic training translate well into an EMT job in the civilian world? that wouldn't be horrible.

Jae Rahn
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Sep 2015, 8:41 pm

My medic training will allow me to get a job in EMS when I get out. I've been in a little over a year and I love medicine and medical, but the military aggravates all of my traits and comorbid conditions.. It's driving me insane but they don't want to do much about it..

voleregard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: A magical place without backup warning beepers or leaf blowers

12 Sep 2015, 8:26 pm

Whether you're religious or not, have you spoken with a chaplain? The chaplains often deal with personnel who are having a variety of problems.