James Blake Thrown to Ground by Police

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 7:59 pm

Tennis player James Blake was mistakenly arrested in Manhattan while attending US Open.

Guardian: Former US tennis pro seen standing outside Manhattan hotel before he is rushed by a plainclothes police officer and handcuffed in case of mistaken identity

Quote:
On Friday, Blake released a statement thanking them for the gestures, but said: “Extending courtesy to a public figure mistreated by the police is not enough… I am determined to use my voice to turn this unfortunate incident into a catalyst for change in the relationship between the police and the public they serve.”

He asked the city to make “a significant financial commitment” to improving that relationship, and said Bratton has agreed to meet with him to “discuss our ideas”.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 3:11 pm

The officer who screwed this up has a history. It will be interesting to see what comes out of the Internal Affairs review.
It's not rocket science, though: Unless there is some immediate threat or danger, ID yourself as a cop before making an arrest and give the person a chance to cooperate. You don't just assault a person because somebody said they looked like somebody who used a stolen credit card.

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 4:58 pm

I agree. It is standard procedure for an officer to at least identify himself, especially if he is not wearing a uniform or badge. If this can happen it almost makes you afraid to fight back if you were attacked because you might get charged with resisting arrest or assault on a public official.