Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 1:16 pm

I tried Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. In all cases, I just ran around cluelessly and got bored quickly.
What are your experiences with RPGs?

LordRikerQ
Raven
Raven

12 Sep 2015, 2:37 pm

I love RPGs, All the way from balders gate 1 and fallout to knights of the old republic and up to witcher 3 and dragon age inquisition.

Actually, for someone like you I'd defiantly recommend fallout 3 and upcoming 4 which are RPGs built on top of a fps. Or witcher 3 which is a rpg but very action orientated.
Maybe dragon age inquisition which is also very hack/slash fast paced.

Ones like skyrim are very slow paced compared to some of the newer RPGs.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 6:05 pm

Ever feel like you just don't like something or have zero interest in it but by all reason you should be? That's how I've felt about nearly all RPG's ever since I was a kid. Simulation games like The Sims and Animal Crossing don't count even though you're assuming the roles of different characters and interacting with NPC's.

The few RPG series I actually really enjoyed playing are Earthbound, Mario and Luigi and Paper Mario. Maybe because of all the fun and wacky humor, the more contemporary setting, and not having to fight every enemy randomly. I hate random battles. Your a few steps away from the village and every two seconds you suddenly have to fight 50 monsters or so. It gets very repetitive and annoying, even if the enemies are weak.

And then there's the lack of replay value. After you've beaten the game, that's it. Even if there are different endings it usually doesn't feel worth playing the entire game all over again.

I also find card and board-game RPG's, like Magic the Gathering, to be quite confusing. But the cards are sure fun to read and look at, especially the ones with "flavor text", which adds humor or cleverness to the card if not anything else.

Online Multiplayer RPG's make me nervous. I heard scary stuff how female players, newbies, and autistic people are trolled and even given death threats. It's like you can't have any identity at all. Or if you're playing just to have fun, that's wrong, too. Like any that makes any sense. Usually I don't feel like talking to or interacting with other players, which of course makes them think I'm a stuck-up "female dog".
I used to play Disney's Toontown for a while, but it got boring. And then of course they discontinued it.

Malaise
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Sep 2015, 7:28 pm

Depends on the RPG for me. If I wouldn't enjoy reading it in a book, it's not interesting in an RPG and some include a lot of mundane dialogue.

LordRikerQ
Raven
Raven

12 Sep 2015, 9:53 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Ever feel like you just don't like something or have zero interest in it but by all reason you should be? That's how I've felt about nearly all RPG's ever since I was a kid. Simulation games like The Sims and Animal Crossing don't count even though you're assuming the roles of different characters and interacting with NPC's.

The few RPG series I actually really enjoyed playing are Earthbound, Mario and Luigi and Paper Mario. Maybe because of all the fun and wacky humor, the more contemporary setting, and not having to fight every enemy randomly. I hate random battles. Your a few steps away from the village and every two seconds you suddenly have to fight 50 monsters or so. It gets very repetitive and annoying, even if the enemies are weak.

And then there's the lack of replay value. After you've beaten the game, that's it. Even if there are different endings it usually doesn't feel worth playing the entire game all over again.

I also find card and board-game RPG's, like Magic the Gathering, to be quite confusing. But the cards are sure fun to read and look at, especially the ones with "flavor text", which adds humor or cleverness to the card if not anything else.

Online Multiplayer RPG's make me nervous. I heard scary stuff how female players, newbies, and autistic people are trolled and even given death threats. It's like you can't have any identity at all. Or if you're playing just to have fun, that's wrong, too. Like any that makes any sense. Usually I don't feel like talking to or interacting with other players, which of course makes them think I'm a stuck-up "female dog".
I used to play Disney's Toontown for a while, but it got boring. And then of course they discontinued it.

Some of that is true, I got harassed a lot in secret world for being an aspie.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 10:09 pm

When I was younger I loved them. I grew up on Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy 1, etc. Used the be my favorite game type. However sometime around FF9 I just lost interest in them completely. My attention span runs out. I also strongly dislike most things in the fantasy or sci-fi genre, which comprise most RPGs.

I did enjoy Elder Scrolls Oblivion quite a bit, but got bored before I could finish. It's main issue, as with most RPGs, is they all get to a point where they are simply not challenging. You spend so much time leveling up and getting the best equipment only to find out you didn't really need to because you then crush everything. This for some may be fun. Especially if you care about the story. I barely ever follow the story in games. Then with Skyrim they overhauled the menus and how you queue your weapons and spells. It was unplayable because switching became too annoying.

I do second the suggestion of Fallout 3, and less so Fallout: New Vegas. They are RPGs but set as more of a FPS. But they are the same open world concept as Elder Scrolls so you might dislike that too. You spend alot of time wandering and getting sidetracked. This is appealing for some, frustrating for others.

I'd most strongly suggest Borderlands 2. Or the first one if you'd care about the story. But this game, to me, combines the best aspects of RPGs and FPS. This game had me totally addicted for two years and is probably an all-time top 5 for me. You level up your character/get experience, and find a shitton of different equipment. However it's more mission based and structured than open world games. Sort of in the vein of a GTA type of thing the way you progress with missions. And as a bonus, it is multiplayer compatible without being an online free for all. The PS4 version allows for four player local co-op. A feature that I love and is mostly dead today thanks to online gaming.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 11:52 pm

Yeah, I tend to find them very dull as well. I'm not too fond of story-driven games to begin with.... I tend to find the stories either uninteresting, convoluted, or just bad (Square's games being the top offender here), the gameplay is usually VERY easy and often quite shallow, and the pacing is almost always very slow. And there tends to be alot of walking around without anything actually HAPPENING.

Not to mention cutscenes. I hate cutscenes, so much...

I've tried the three games you mentioned, as well as Fallout 3, and was nearly bored into a stupor by all of them.

And the less I say about JRPGs, the better, as I find those to be.... much worse.

Though, far as I'm concerned, the absolute bottom of the barrel is games like Disgaea. The entire game is just grinding. You find a "grind" map, find the optimal way to do it (which usually takes hardly any time and not much thinking) and then you repeat the map, over and over and over and over and over and over again for hours, requiring not even the tiniest bit of skill or strategy, in order to level up your characters, because there'll be huge parts of the game that you cant get to unless you do that. Someone I know is into that sort, and they're so fantastically boring that I cant even just watch; it'll put me to sleep.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 7:41 am

Cockroach96 wrote:
I tried Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. In all cases, I just ran around cluelessly and got bored quickly.

The three ones you mentioned are almost the same game, it's not a fair representative of the RPG genre. It's like you are saying Call of Duty 1, 2 , 3...etc.

You may want to try non-open world RPGs.

There's also the old fashion Pillars of Eternity and Divinity - Original Sin .

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 8:54 am

I can't stand the grinding/random encounter aspect if it's tedious. Other than that they are OK.
My favorite RPGs that I've played through are Chrono Trigger (almost no grinding needed, no random encounters) and Final Fantasy V (love the job system).

It's fun to explore the game world and learn about the story and characters. As a kid I used to have a problem with cutscenes, nowadays I would actually read (if I cared to play any RPGs). Oftentimes the music and visuals are of high quality, so that's another clear plus.

Pokemon used to be fun but I don't have the patience to sit through battles anymore.
And a lot of the story isn't too interesting either. The customizing options are rather lame too. I still like Pokemon but I can't be arsed to play.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 9:56 am

Earthling wrote:
I can't stand the grinding/random encounter aspect if it's tedious. Other than that they are OK.
My favorite RPGs that I've played through are Chrono Trigger (almost no grinding needed, no random encounters) and Final Fantasy V (love the job system).

It's fun to explore the game world and learn about the story and characters. As a kid I used to have a problem with cutscenes, nowadays I would actually read (if I cared to play any RPGs). Oftentimes the music and visuals are of high quality, so that's another clear plus.

Pokemon used to be fun but I don't have the patience to sit through battles anymore.
And a lot of the story isn't too interesting either. The customizing options are rather lame too. I still like Pokemon but I can't be arsed to play.

It's funny, I dont usually mind the random encounter idea too much myself. Instead, what loses me is when the battles are all too easy. Heck, Final Fantasy 6, I remember that early on, the moment you got Edgar in your party for the first time, you were going to COAST through the next few areas, as all you had to do for most encounters was get to his turn, and fire his crossbow gizmo exactly ONCE, and the encounter was over. And they werent exactly difficult without that; as with most Square games, just spamming "attack" usually did the trick. Too many RPGs end up like that. Something like the original Final Fantasy, the very first one, was more my thing; individual encounters actually provided some threat in that game. They could be actually dangerous. Wheras in many JRPGs, they're so easy they're almost just background noise.

As cutscenes go, hm, I dont mind too much when it's actual TEXT.... I can skip it if the thing isnt catching my interest, or just read at my own pace (rather than wait for voice actors to very slowly speak the lines out loud). It's when they're full "movie" style scenes that I just stop giving a damn. Which they all are, these days...

AutisticGuy1981
Toucan
Toucan

14 Sep 2015, 10:08 am

I used to love RPG's but find them boring now too.
Loved skyrim but everything else since I just can't get into.

wish there was more japanese style RPG's for the pc :(

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 10:39 am

@Mistery I hear ya.
I think the problem with random encounters is that I always get them when I want to progress in the game, but have to fight these enemies. :P

Well, when I played FF6 I was kinda new to RPGs, I progressed to the last part of the game (dark world) with like never using Edgar, I didn't know he was good. FF6 is very nice but somehow it didn't do it for me, can't say why exactly. I don't like the battle as much as FF5.

I agree with you about difficulty in modern games being too low, I should have said that about Pokemon. It's kinda brainless without hard mode hack.
But at the same time hard RPGs are usually just a grindfest...

About movie cutscenes... I guess I'm too oldschool to know about them. :lol:

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2015, 8:19 pm

I don't dislike them exactly or find them boring, but I rarely play them and usually avoid games with the "RPG" tag on Steam. I usually last a week or two before getting overwhelmed by all the stats, choices, etc. as well as the world, if it's an open-world game like Oblivion or Skyrim. I want to like them, but it's hard. I also have a tendency to suddenly drop games that I've been enjoying for no apparent reason and it's just worse with RPGs.

One that I've been meaning to go back to and finish is Persona 3 Portable on PSP. I started playing that a few years ago and was really into it, but then it fell victim to my "random dropping" after the school year ended.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 8:24 pm

I've generally liked JRPGS. In '92, maybe '93, when I was like 8 years old, I found a game in Nintendo Power (whose name I don't remember). I tried to rent it, but I confused another game for it. That game was Final Fantasy II (actually 4th in the series). I was hooked.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 9:16 pm

Cockroach96 wrote:
Have you tried up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, and A?
Cockroach96 wrote:
Roll 1d20, consult the attack matrix, grab a slice of pizza, drink some soda, and tell the players to make a saving throw versus death. Then tell those who failed to roll up new characters while the survivors loot their old characters' bodies.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 10:22 pm

Earthling wrote:
@Mistery I hear ya.
I think the problem with random encounters is that I always get them when I want to progress in the game, but have to fight these enemies. :P

Well, when I played FF6 I was kinda new to RPGs, I progressed to the last part of the game (dark world) with like never using Edgar, I didn't know he was good. FF6 is very nice but somehow it didn't do it for me, can't say why exactly. I don't like the battle as much as FF5.

I agree with you about difficulty in modern games being too low, I should have said that about Pokemon. It's kinda brainless without hard mode hack.
But at the same time hard RPGs are usually just a grindfest...

About movie cutscenes... I guess I'm too oldschool to know about them. :lol:

Yeah, I can agree with most of that, indeed. FF6 didnt really do it for me either. I think that's when I started losing interest in the "story" side of things; FF6 has.... WAY too many problems with the second half of it's story (AKA, absolutely everything that happens in the "dark" world, or ruined world, or whatever people wanna call it) that just kept bugging me too much and which only got worse all the way up until the ending. Along with the dull and easy gameplay. What's the point of having all of those interesting sounding spells and abilities if all you need to do is stab everything in the face?

And yeah, "hard" RPGs really are about grinding, arent they? I dont think alot of devs have a handle on what "hard" means. If you can overwhelm a difficult boss by simply punching rats over and over for 5 hours to just get numbers big enough to steamroll the boss, then it's not even a remotely "difficult" boss to begin with.

Pokemon I dont mind, but then I mostly am after the competitive side of the game than anything else. Though, as I play through I mostly keep my team at low levels for whatever area I'm in, to keep things interesting. But mostly, I just want the competition later on. All them online features and whatnot. It's really the only thing RPG-ish to hold my attention in a long time.

Far as I"m concerned though, most of these games will never measure up to the old ones, nope. I miss those days. Too much.