Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 4:39 pm

What do you people use for programming? Both OS and IDE.

Personally I use Linux + vim + clang. I find it superior to Windows. In Windows you have to mess around with .dll, .lib and .h files for new libraries. This can be a pain, especially when there is an incompatibility and you end up having to use an old and outdated tool for checking what's wrong.

In addition I find Visual Studio to be slow ( there should be no delay at all when typing, ) unstable ( crashes and hangs all the time, ) and inconsistent ( sometimes I have to build and rebuild several times )

I never have any of these issues on Linux and vim. And since I'm using vim, I can write code really fast ( well faster than I can with Visual Studio anyways ) and I rarely have to take my hands off the keyboard ( using the mouse is a waste of time )

So what about you guys? What do you use for programming. Language is irrelevant : )

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 4:56 pm

morslilleole wrote:
What do you people use for programming? Both OS and IDE.

Personally I use Linux + vim + clang. I find it superior to Windows. In Windows you have to mess around with .dll, .lib and .h files for new libraries. This can be a pain, especially when there is an incompatibility and you end up having to use an old and outdated tool for checking what's wrong.

In addition I find Visual Studio to be slow ( there should be no delay at all when typing, ) unstable ( crashes and hangs all the time, ) and inconsistent ( sometimes I have to build and rebuild several times )

I never have any of these issues on Linux and vim. And since I'm using vim, I can write code really fast ( well faster than I can with Visual Studio anyways ) and I rarely have to take my hands off the keyboard ( using the mouse is a waste of time )

So what about you guys? What do you use for programming. Language is irrelevant : )

I use VS at work because...well, that's what they pay me to use. But it has become more and more awkward as the versions go by. It's as if the once strong edict of the Windows UI has been thrown out and each siloed work group simply rolls their own user interface standards. Worse still is BIDS/SSIS (a VS SQL derivative); it's a patchwork of syntaxes, sometimes within a single object. Some interfaces have niceties such as ctl-a,ctl-c; some make due with 'select all' and 'copy' buttons only. It's a horrid mess. Also, without Robocopy Windows (as of 20012 R2 / Win 10) *still* can't copy large numbers of files issue-free.

At home I mostly do fun embedded (-ish) projects, so that means Linux. Mostly Debian based. No favorite tools as sometimes Busybox is all I have, other times a full WM + desktop environment.

By the way, I glanced at something in the last few days and then lost the story. Isn't there a new package-delivery system that promises to make distro- and version- centric dependencies no longer a problem?

RTFM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Sep 2015, 4:06 am

For a text editor, I use (g)vim. For the OS I use Linux as thats whats on my laptop or Free/OpenBSD at home. As most of what I do is simple C or perl/tk the OS does not matter too much.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 2:53 pm

Windows
Notepad++ code edit
MingW compiler
C, C++, Java, AutoIt, JS
Don't care much about programming anymore

CrazyLunatic
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Sep 2015, 4:41 pm

Arch Linux
nano (CLI)
Sublime Text (GUI)
I spend most of my time using the command-line so I use nano more than Sublime Text

You are very likely an Aspie

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 5:44 pm

I do web centered work, so php, java, and js programming and the related markup languages (html, css). I use windows with notepad++ and occasionally eclipse when I get dependency errors. I got a raspberry pi a few days ago I've been playing with, but I've never booted to desktop, I've just been running it through console with my Windows PC. I like the repository structure of Linux, but I couldn't do without my gaming mouse-- too many shortcuts to give up.

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 6:34 am

When I'm coding in python, it's the standard IDLE for me. I tried that JetBrains creation, but it was too big and sluggish.

C# in VS 2010. I don't know why it's slow for you, my lowspec laptop can run it fine.

I occasionally type small bits of (what was) DOS in the windows cmd/batch files. That's done it notepad (yep, not even notepad++).

VBA in the application (almost exclusively Excel). VBScript is hardly worth mentioning, but in Notepad too.

I've only ever coded Java in Android Studio, and that's based on JetBrains' IntelliJ.

JavaScript, HTML+CSS, and PHP I've only coded a bit of, but once again, in Notepad.

For Linux (Lubuntu variants or straight Debian when I use the GUI, depending on computer), I only use nano or leafpad for bash and python.

Occasionally, I code "blind" on my phone - just editing a file in Dropbox text editor without being able to run it. QPytgon is too annoying to do this in.

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 5:26 pm

linux, xterm and vim for almost everything