Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Should you go to school/work/whatever after a meltdown?
Yes 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
No 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Maybe 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 9

CeruleanResearcher
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Sep 2015, 5:59 pm

Share your opinion on whether or not you think you/others should be forced to go to school/work/whatever after going through a meltdown. If you want you can share your personal experiences.

CeruleanResearcher
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Sep 2015, 6:09 pm

I personally don't think I should be forced to go to school after a meltdown. I'd like at least a little time to calm down. My classmates are incredibly loud and tend to touch me. After a meltdown I would not be able to handle that. During one meltdown in which I threw a cricket bat that was mostly made of a hard foam to the ground my grandmother threatened me with the bat. She expected me to go to a loud, crowded school that constantly causes me to have meltdowns after I had a stress related meltdown and was threatened with a foam cricket bat that could actually hurt in the right hands.

I didn't recover from that for hours and ended up staying home.

I think that you should be able to have some time to calm down after a meltdown.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 7:33 am

It depends how severe the meltdown was and how the person is now.

It's never a good idea to FORCE someone to do anything (as in: yelling, pushing and threating them to go to work/school) but I can't see why EVERY meltdown would be enough excuse to skip school for whole day. It depends how the person feels and if he/she had enough time to calm down. Some meltdowns require just a few minutes to get back on track, others a few days. It all depends. One should be given enough time to calm down but after that - go to school/work.

I tend to force myself to do my responsibilities even after a meltdown unless I really feel like I can't do it that day. And I survive just fine. At worst I am more tired and impatient than usual for the whole day but it can be easily hidden under "I didn't get enough sleep last night." excuse so people are more forgiving. More often though I get back to my usual self by the time I get to school.

It happened a few times that I had to attend school after a major meltdown (the meltdown happened at school then so I was already there and skipping was not an option) and I was really feeling like I can't stand the lessons. I had to stay in restroom for a hour during school hours to calm myself before I could continue. But after that I managed to get back to classroom and focus on the lessons. And I was happy that I didn't go home because I wouldn't know what was on the further lessons if i did. Although I had to take a nap as soon as I returned home.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 8:17 am

As a child, whenever I end up with meltdowns before/during classes, it'll took me few hours before I can go to any activities without running away or crying. At best, I just walk it off. At worst, I end up breaking stuff from pencils to bathroom stall doors...
I barely given a break until people went soft on me for years. It became unnecessary over time.

Last time I had a meltdown was few years ago, I'm not sure at this present.
Perhaps a break for recovery is recommended. Depends at the severance, how fast the individual recovers, and the situation/priority/how forgiving people are.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 1:20 pm

I think the same as everyone above. Forcing someone to work or go to school after a meltdown isn't helpful. They should take a break before going back, they need to because how can you go back immediately and perform to a good level.
Sometimes you might need a half hour or so before going back but it depends on the person, the situation and how much of a meltdown it was.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 1:23 pm

A person should go back when they are comfortable, and not be forced to.