If it came down to Hillary or Trump, who would you vote for?

Page 1 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump for president?
Clinton 51%  51%  [ 24 ]
Trump 49%  49%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 47

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 1:49 am

I think I'd have to pick Trump, because I at least agree with some of his ideas. I don't like anything about Hillary.

- Sherlock Holmes

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 1:52 am

I don't think I could vote for either of them...

pineapplehead
Raven
Raven

15 Sep 2015, 2:23 am

Neither, but I don't vote for candidates anyway.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 2:27 am

I'd probably vote for the candidate of the Libertarian Party.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 2:33 am

So you'd really rather vote for someone who definitely won't win, or not vote at all? Isn't that kind of a waste? I say it's better to at least use your vote to pick the lesser of two evils. I mean, yeah, if it came down to that I'm sure a lot of people would not vote. But to me that seems silly.

- Sherlock Holmes

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 2:41 am

L_Holmes wrote:
So you'd really rather vote for someone who definitely won't win, or not vote at all? Isn't that kind of a waste? I say it's better to at least use your vote to pick the lesser of two evils. I mean, yeah, if it came down to that I'm sure a lot of people would not vote. But to me that seems silly.

I vote for the candidate of MY choice, not the candidate of everybody's choice.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 2:52 am

eric76 wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:

I vote for the candidate of MY choice, not the candidate of everybody's choice.

But that is just taking the easy way out, because you know they won't win, so you can't regret your choice. Not that you would if they did win, but your vote will have counted for nothing.

- Sherlock Holmes

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 3:02 am

Am I the only one who thinks it's pointless to vote for a candidate that can't win? I mean, I'd rather pick somebody else too, but there would be no point. I wouldn't do that unless I thought they had a chance at winning. And that just doesn't seem to happen.

- Sherlock Holmes

pineapplehead
Raven
Raven

15 Sep 2015, 3:05 am

Well, why do they have no chance of winning? It's because everyone says they have no chance of winning. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 3:10 am

pineapplehead wrote:
Well, why do they have no chance of winning? It's because everyone says they have no chance of winning. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yeah. Well, it's a combination of things I'm sure. The media has a lot to do with it I think. That and sheer stupidity.

- Sherlock Holmes

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 3:12 am

But it's not like this is the actual election, guys. If you HAD to pick one or the other is what I meant, just for the sake of the poll. We don't even know if this will happen at all (and I sure as hell hope it doesn't).

- Sherlock Holmes

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 3:15 am

L_Holmes wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks it's pointless to vote for a candidate that can't win? I mean, I'd rather pick somebody else too, but there would be no point. I wouldn't do that unless I thought they had a chance at winning. And that just doesn't seem to happen.

Actually, a vote for a legitimate third party candidate can be far more influential than a vote for a major party candidate.

A vote for a major party candidate just makes you yet another member of the herd.

A vote for a third party candidate helps draw attention to the major parties that there are more and more people who are unhappy with the major parties and who feel that they no longer represent them well.

Furthermore, it helps that party advance with the hope that they will become a major party in the future.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 3:16 am

Trump is the candidate for those who watch Reality TV.

Hillary is even worse.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 3:18 am

eric76 wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:

Actually, a vote for a legitimate third party candidate can be far more influential than a vote for a major party candidate.

A vote for a major party candidate just makes you yet another member of the herd.

A vote for a third party candidate helps draw attention to the major parties that there are more and more people who are unhappy with the major parties and who feel that they no longer represent them well.

Furthermore, it helps that party advance with the hope that they will become a major party in the future.

Actually advertising the candidates would do what you are talking about. I just don't see how a plain old vote does that. Then again, I've never been old enough to vote before, so this is a new experience for me.

- Sherlock Holmes

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 3:23 am

By the time anyone sees votes, it's already over and done with. They don't care who got 5 or even 44 percent of the votes. They care about who won and what they're gonna do next. It would be more effective to promote the Libertarian candidate before the voting starts, would it not?

- Sherlock Holmes

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 3:27 am

L_Holmes wrote:
eric76 wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:

Actually advertising the candidates would do what you are talking about. I just don't see how a plain old vote does that. Then again, I've never been old enough to vote before, so this is a new experience for me.

I'm not sure what you mean about advertising the candidates.

The main thing to remember is that the stronger the third parties, the more choice you have. We really need to change the mindset that your vote doesn't count if it isn't for a Republican or a Democrat.

If you take the so-called idea that your vote doesn't count unless you vote for a Republican or a Democrat to it's logical conclusion, then your vote doesn't count unless you vote for the winner of the election -- if you vote for a Republican and a Democrat won then your vote didn't count at all since it didn't help get your candidate elected.