Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 5:36 am

Being isolated is boring. Can you make friends in university and not get rejected?

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 6:20 am

The answer is yes.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 7:13 am

Of course.

Joining a club based on an interest you have is a method I highly recommend. Also, if you take classes based on your major, chances are others in the same major will be taking those same classes. I would also say get involved with your major's department in some way if it is possible, anything so your face is seen and people know you exist.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 8:16 am

University/college is the easiest place to make friends.
-You follow classes with people who share an interest with you (that class in that case, assuming it's an elective, or at least the major associated with it).
-There are tons of clubs and groups, for just about every sport/hobby/pasttime you might be interested in, including those that are usually solitary activities (painting, photography, reading...), who will also share at least that interest with you.
Those clubs are also not just open, but even welcoming to new members (excluding sonorities), so as soon as you join such a club, it will be hard to *not* make friends there

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 9:35 am

Quirkiness/weirdness/eccentricity is rather "in style" in a college/university setting.

This is especially true if you don't join a fraternity or don't hang out with the people who drink out of beer bongs.

Regular folks are easy to make friends with.

Just keep an open mind, and never appear like you don't have any confidence in yourself.

FullMetalAspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Sep 2015, 3:05 pm

yes you can make friends in university.
I'm basically inept at making friends and I was able to make friends in college.
Not many but some.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2015, 8:10 am

AspergersActor8693 wrote:
Of course.

Joining a club based on an interest you have is a method I highly recommend. Also, if you take classes based on your major, chances are others in the same major will be taking those same classes. I would also say get involved with your major's department in some way if it is possible, anything so your face is seen and people know you exist.

I am doing the same thing myself. I don't have anyone on campus that I call a friend myself but I have made some acquaintances through attending clubs and organizations.

I joined the astronomy and the physics societies on campus because I want to be as involved as possible because I want to be well rounded in getting involved by volunteering and making networks.