systemd 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Other 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
I don't care 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 6

CrazyLunatic
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Sep 2015, 4:18 pm

This was being discussed on the IRC so I thought I'd make a poll, personally I'll use whichever one the distro ships with.

You are very likely an Aspie

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 5:21 pm

SystemD seems to get a lot of hate, but it works fine for me. OpenRC isn't bad either, from what I remember.

CrazyLunatic
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Sep 2015, 1:43 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
SystemD seems to get a lot of hate, but it works fine for me. OpenRC isn't bad either, from what I remember.

That's pretty much the same opinion I have. I use systemd because it's what comes with Arch and it works, I understand why people hate it but I'm too lazy to switch to SysV when systemd works fine for me.

You are very likely an Aspie

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2015, 2:05 am

SysVinit is awesome for old Slackware boxes and Linux From Scratch. Oh, wait; it's been five years since I've touched either one.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 9:23 am

If there's one thing that's good about SystemD, it's that it may help bring some *shock* *horror* standardization to the Linux ecosystem. It should do away with binary logfiles in favor of human readable ones though.

If GNU/Linux wants to succeed as a desktop OS, standardization is something that will need to be taken seriously by the major vendors. Ubuntu-based distros introduce a good degree of standardization, though they could do a bit better, especially with keeping things consistent through the different versions given all the outdated documentation that's available for different aspects of it. Of course, they could fix that with a well maintained wiki documenting EVERYTHING there is to know about Ubuntu and its derived distros.

Another thing I'd like to see is better PPA support for Debian and its derived distros, possibly through some optional Ubuntu compatibility libraries. Ubuntu is based on Debian, but it has enough differences that it can sometimes be difficult to get certain software working on Debian that would be able to run fine on Ubuntu. I'd actually prefer to be running a purer Debian-derived distro than one derived from Ubuntu, as Ubuntu adds all sorts of bloat and other crap, but Ubuntu just happens to have better software and community support, so that's why I use it. Well, actually instead of plain Ubuntu, I run Xubuntu, a lighter fork with a better UI.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 11:28 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
If there's one thing that's good about SystemD, it's that it may help bring some *shock* *horror* standardization to the Linux ecosystem. It should do away with binary logfiles in favor of human readable ones though.

I completely agree. Still looking for the very recent announcement of what sounded like a fairly large scale effort to unify package management. Okay, the *latest* attempt to do so. Still, this one sounded promising...

slave
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 3:55 pm

CrazyLunatic wrote:
This was being discussed on the IRC so I thought I'd make a poll, personally I'll use whichever one the distro ships with.

I thought most distros had already adopted Systemd. Isn't SysVinit fading into history?

What do they hate about Systemd? and why did most everyone switch if it is so bad?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 6:27 pm

I really don't care one way or another, but I have to say that systemd seems to be a lot faster than init. --That being said, it is possible to trade systemd back to init.