Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 4:49 pm

I feel a bit overwhelmed, due to all the criticism by others i have gotten lately. I am not saying that i dont deserve it or that i have acted perfectly in the sitations where i have gotten the criticism. But it feels very bad to go to school, have a teacher criticise something you do/the way you do something etc and then come home to get even more criticism like: "why do you have to think like that, you always do ..."
I feel sad now because of this.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 5:17 pm

Ouch. That sounds like real downer. Maybe stay away from some forums and hang out in the Haven for a while.
It is awful when you experience continual aggression, and unfortunately that can happen here sometimes. I hope your need for psychological safety here (which is something we all need) has been noted by the people involved.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 5:46 pm

I know this doesn't really help but people often don't realize how upsetting criticism is especially to people who take it literally. I hope there is someone IRL open to how you feel.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 5:52 pm

It's natural to feel overwhelmed, particularly when the criticism is misdirected or unfair. But where the criticism is constructive and given with the best intentions, you need to learn from it if you intend to improve. If it's any consolation to the way you're feeling, people rarely get praised for the things they do well and you learn much more from the mistakes you make, than from the things you do well.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 6:12 pm

I am very sensitive to criticism and while it is true you learn a lot from criticism, most of what I learn is more about trying to avoid the criticism than having much other value.

I'm generally really trying to make people happy and avoid offending them and no one can do better than their best. Criticism when you're doing all you can is destructive. Gentle kind suggestions can even become too much if the criticism gets overwhelming. And that gets other people mad, when they are trying and it doesn't seem to some. Sometimes all I can do is just say that it's too much and see if the person backs off. Sometimes they will and you've learned something about who they are......and they've learned you're at your limit and they can help when that happens. Hopefully.