Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 4:53 am

What is your dream physique that you'd like to have? Mine is Jean-Claude Van Damme from the 90s.

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2015, 6:00 am

The Tony Little of the 1980's, short, compact, and sturdy...

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 125 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 93 of 200

RAADS:
Total score-161.0 Language-18.0 Social relatedness-69.0 Sensory/motor-39.0

yogiB1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Sep 2015, 3:18 pm

Sarah Jessica Parker all the way

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2015, 9:29 pm

I wouldn't mind a 'twunk' like physique :D.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 9:42 pm

Abigail Whistler.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 10:39 pm

Goal I am working towards is something like 4 on the Zyzz progress pics, though I would be satisfied with 3 or halfway between 3 and 4.: Image

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 10:49 pm

Outrider wrote:
Goal I am working towards is something like 4 on the Zyzz progress pics, though I would be satisfied with 3 or halfway between 3 and 4.: Image
Damn, that guy went full douchebag. I'd be fine with 2 or 3.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 10:55 pm

Yeah, my goal is at least 3 by my early 20s. 4 would be my max/peak.

And DailyPoutine, you are actually right about that. Not all ripped guys are a55høles but this guy kind of was. Once he got ripped he would get constant attention from females but always mess with them, insult them. They were random women looking for s3x though.

Example:

But yeah, I workout and I've got a body a bit like this guy's right now, but with slightly better chest and ab area: Image

Derolis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Oct 2015, 11:02 am

I usually don't worry too much about my appearance lately, save for personal hygiene. I'm pretty comfortable with just being the skinny little white guy with glasses. I do want to get a treadmill soon though, I like to at least stay in shape, and I wouldn't mind having a bit of muscle, I don't think being "buff" suits me though. :?

SillyRice
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Nov 2015, 6:03 am

It's weird because most men want that shredded to the bone, cheese-grater abs look, but I prefer the strongman physique.

Neotenous Nordic
Toucan
Toucan

02 Nov 2015, 8:06 am

Steve Reeves. Or any of the classic bodybuilders from the common sense era before the 80s, 90s and onwards.

Bodybuilding became extremely unhealthy in the 90s as steroids, hGH and insulin abuse was necessary to compete, because everybody was doing it. Then you got those weird looking physiques as the bodies started collapsing from the abuse. Look at "Palumbolism" in Google image search to see what happened. They turned into ugly monsters.

But Steve Reeves and those guys worked out during a time when there were more healthy ideals.

It's really cool to see the resurgence in claisthenics, now dubbed "street workout". Those physiques are much better looking than the modern bodybuilder physiques. And not only that, but the "street workout" folks develop usable skills and a body that actually works, as opposed to some bulky flesh pile that can not even go through the doorway.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Nov 2015, 6:26 pm

I want the spartan look or Arnold Schwarzenegger's physique.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 6:37 am

Neotenous Nordic wrote:
Steve Reeves. Or any of the classic bodybuilders from the common sense era before the 80s, 90s and onwards.

Bodybuilding became extremely unhealthy in the 90s as steroids, hGH and insulin abuse was necessary to compete, because everybody was doing it. Then you got those weird looking physiques as the bodies started collapsing from the abuse. Look at "Palumbolism" in Google image search to see what happened. They turned into ugly monsters.

But Steve Reeves and those guys worked out during a time when there were more healthy ideals.

It's really cool to see the resurgence in claisthenics, now dubbed "street workout". Those physiques are much better looking than the modern bodybuilder physiques. And not only that, but the "street workout" folks develop usable skills and a body that actually works, as opposed to some bulky flesh pile that can not even go through the doorway.

Here in Australia there was/still is a popular bodybuilding trend started by Aziz Shavershian (aka Zyzz, the man in the pictures i posted earlier). Called 'aesthetics', it was about young men obsessed with bodybuilding taking too many steroids or supplements. Zyzz himself, known for his extremely proportionate and ideal body, died from a heart issue possibly caused by the steroids he took. Video here: https://www.facebook.com/OfficialDieHar ... nref=story

I agree with your proposition that working out and exercise should be about having a healthy body. Evwn if you are a competitive bodybuilder, they still shouldn't take too many steroids/supplements (which many still do, even if many have been outlawed there is just as many that are still legal)

Some just take it much too far though and allow their obsession with exercise and eating to take over their entire lives, which is why my goal for the future is only the ottermode body type ('thin but fit').

Neotenous Nordic
Toucan
Toucan

04 Nov 2015, 8:12 am

Yes, the "thin but fit" is very acheivable with good diet and exercise. No drugs needed. The way to spot folks who are on gear is if they have a very low bodyfat percentage and still retain their mass. Competitive bodybuilders get down to 5% bodyfat which is extremely unhealthy and taxing on the body. They feel sluggish and lethargic having so little bodyfat, and a natural, drug free athlete will lose a lot of muscle mass at that bodyfat percentage, but the drug enhanced guy will have bulging muscles. So the steroid user will look "inflated" and the natural bodybuilder "deflated", as if the air has gone out of him. Suffice to say, just about all professional bodybuilders are on steroids.

The "shrink wrapped" look is not even nice to look at if an aesthetic physicque is the goal. It looks unnatural and unhealthy.

For me, the goal is to have a lean physique and a nice frame, which is why I do compound movements targeting the big muscle groups. Pull ups, dips, push ups etcetra... the staple of a good frame.

You don't need to eat 10 000 calories a day to have a nice, built physique with visible abs, good frame and decent mass. And when you find this compromise, you eat for performance too, so your body can be used for something outside the gym as well.

IMO working out should be something you do to be able to do other things in life with more ease, not so all-consuming that every moment outside the gym is neurotically spent on thinking about those things. That's the problem with the degenerate 90s and beyond bodybuilding trends. It becomes all-consuming, and the athlete serves his body and not vice versa.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 6:26 am

Dream physique would be Steve Reeves or Reg Park. Neither were "natty" so to speak, though. Test shots were readily available since the late 40's, and Nilevar became available in 1956. So-called natural bodybuilders like Layne Norton and Lazar Angelov are not natural either.

I currently have the muscle mass enough to bench press 175 kgs (was benching 155 kg before I tried small amounts of "you know what"), but I look more like heavyweight boxer or UFC fighter than a bodybuilder due to the fact that gaining lots of muscle isn't enough; you need a certain "look" to become a bodybuilder.

Neotenous Nordic
Toucan
Toucan

11 Nov 2015, 8:58 am

Kurgan wrote:
Dream physique would be Steve Reeves or Reg Park. Neither were "natty" so to speak, though. Test shots were readily available since the late 40's, and Nilevar became available in 1956. So-called natural bodybuilders like Layne Norton and Lazar Angelov are not natural either.

I currently have the muscle mass enough to bench press 175 kgs (was benching 155 kg before I tried small amounts of "you know what"), but I look more like heavyweight boxer or UFC fighter than a bodybuilder due to the fact that gaining lots of muscle isn't enough; you need a certain "look" to become a bodybuilder.

In other words you're what they call "bearmode". Performance physique :) Have you tried strongman training?

I see you're scandinavian too, that explains a lot :)