I feel bad about not eating only halal meat?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 12:05 pm

I'm 16, and a guy. I'm also Muslim. And my religion only allows eating of meat that comes from an animal that was ritually slaughtered, meaning God's name was invoked before killing it, and the jugular vein was sliced with a quick incision, draining it of blood. That way, the meat has the blessings of God, and the meat is free of blood. I often like to eat fast food meat and I live in the USA, so of course I am breaking the rules. What techniques and methods could I use to break this habit???

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 12:23 pm

I don't know where you live, but in most of the U.S., this could pose a problem for you. My approach to fast food is, I don't really know what's in it, so I don't eat it. If you have a large Muslim ( or Orthodox Jew) population in your area, you could potentially have access to good, safe food that doesn't violate your religious principles.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 12:31 pm

Don't know about the US, but here in Europe, ritual halal slaughter does not live up to the standards of ethical animal treatment, and thus all halal meat produced in Europe is slaughtered just like regular meat, but with a short prayer said by a imam (I think). Always thought that was a bit of a middle-finger to muslims trying to eat halal, but the resolution was apparently reached with insight by western muslims, so there's that.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 1:03 pm

MonsterCrack wrote:
I'm 16, and a guy. I'm also Muslim. And my religion only allows eating of meat that comes from an animal that was ritually slaughtered, meaning God's name was invoked before killing it, and the jugular vein was sliced with a quick incision, draining it of blood. That way, the meat has the blessings of God, and the meat is free of blood. I often like to eat fast food meat and I live in the USA, so of course I am breaking the rules. What techniques and methods could I use to break this habit???

If you elect to obey your religion's rules, you must stop eating fast food. Otherwise, keep breaking them...it's up to you.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 3:18 pm

Personally, I don't think a loving God is going to be so rigidly legalistic as to punish you if you can't find something to eat that's been slaughtered in one particular ritual way or another.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 3:23 pm

It is not free of blood thought. What do you think the cooking juices the come out of meat when you cook it? Or the colour?

Draining the veins and arteries is pretty much how all animal are processed for meat, the only differnce is the order it is done.

Sikhs cannot have halal meat, the method is against their religion. In the Sikh religion the animal must be killed in one blow severing the spinal cord (usually decapitation), they believe it more humane to kill it this way.

In the UK there has been controversy of halal not being labeled, and being done where meat is used in various product, even if some of it wasn't marketed as such.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 3:27 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Don't know about the US, but here in Europe, ritual halal slaughter does not live up to the standards of ethical animal treatment, and thus all halal meat produced in Europe is slaughtered just like regular meat, but with a short prayer said by a imam (I think). Always thought that was a bit of a middle-finger to muslims trying to eat halal, but the resolution was apparently reached with insight by western muslims, so there's that.

Not quite there are various ways that are acceptable, not all compatible.

Halal bleeding and prayer only happens when the animal is alive. Or at least that is the idea. The animal is stunned though.

I think it also provides some jobs to these people in the slaughter houses. It is not just a prayer, the severing has to be done in the Islamic way.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 3:28 pm

Wild animals killed with bow an arrow, or bullets can be Halal if the right procedure is followed.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 4:52 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Wild animals killed with bow an arrow, or bullets can be Halal if the right procedure is followed.

Really? Because from what I've heard from people who've gone on hunting trips to islamic countries, hunting there involves intentionally wounding the animal, then running up to it and cutting its throat.

WRT the halal slaughtering in europe, I might not be all that informed on the matter, but what I said was based on the reassuring noises made by the pro-halal slaughter people here.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 5:07 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:

Really? Because from what I've heard from people who've gone on hunting trips to islamic countries, hunting there involves intentionally wounding the animal, then running up to it and cutting its throat.

WRT the halal slaughtering in europe, I might not be all that informed on the matter, but what I said was based on the reassuring noises made by the pro-halal slaughter people here.

http://islamqa.info/en/121239

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 5:42 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:

http://islamqa.info/en/121239

Alright then, I guess that's a bit better. Better to speak while aiming and risk messing up your aim than to intentionally aim badly. Not good, mind, but better at least.