The Quran is not worse than the Hebrew Bible

Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Mar 2012
Age: 80
Gender: Male
Posts: 545

25 Sep 2015, 1:14 pm

Quote:
That's the thing, the "God of the New Testament" is the the same God of the Old Testament, so either this God had a major personality shift or likes trolling.


Did you read my post?



0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

25 Sep 2015, 1:45 pm

Grebels wrote:
Quote:
That's the thing, the "God of the New Testament" is the the same God of the Old Testament, so either this God had a major personality shift or likes trolling.


Did you read my post?

Yes it is a typical theological explanation. There are also other ways of looking at it from the outside.

LP touched on something more realistic. These religions didn't just come about in their own right, they evolved from earlier religions/theology. In fact there is archaeological evidence of polytheistic form of Judaism, which was a Canaanite culture.

This concept of Monotheism is not as we understand it now. This early form of Judaism became monotheistic in response to conflict with Babylonians. Yaweh was a national god. That means a god of a nation not a universal god.

Many practices are remnant from earlier religion in Judaism such as Sukkot and Kapparot



andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,254
Location: Sol System

25 Sep 2015, 2:16 pm

MonsterCrack wrote:
If anything the Qur'an is LESS violent. The violence in the Qur'an is all about self-defense. But the Old testament tells you to kill sabbath workers, kill women who are raped because they did not scream for help, exterminate the canaanites for idolatry and because God "promised them" canaan, exterminate the population of any city that has turned to idolatry, mistreat slaves in a far worse fashion than the quran ever ordered, etc. The Qur'an has a lot of violent rhetoric, but it is mostly figurative.


Um, no. The penalty for apostasy is death, that is not self defense.

The whole book is based on a violent warlord who liked young girls that cherry picked passages from the Talmud, the Old Testament and the New Testament.



0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

25 Sep 2015, 2:21 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
MonsterCrack wrote:
If anything the Qur'an is LESS violent. The violence in the Qur'an is all about self-defense. But the Old testament tells you to kill sabbath workers, kill women who are raped because they did not scream for help, exterminate the canaanites for idolatry and because God "promised them" canaan, exterminate the population of any city that has turned to idolatry, mistreat slaves in a far worse fashion than the quran ever ordered, etc. The Qur'an has a lot of violent rhetoric, but it is mostly figurative.


Um, no. The penalty for apostasy is death, that is not self defense.

The whole book is based on a violent warlord who liked young girls that cherry picked passages from the Talmud, the Old Testament and the New Testament.


Technically it is the Hadiths not the Quran that say that.

I don' think many passages came out of the new Testament. They came up with completely different story of Jesus, and it is light on detail.

You could say the the Book of Revelation had an influence on Islam, however this was after Jesus's time.



MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 1 Jul 2015
Age: 21
Posts: 735
Location: John's Creek, Georgia

25 Sep 2015, 3:08 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
MonsterCrack wrote:
If anything the Qur'an is LESS violent. The violence in the Qur'an is all about self-defense. But the Old testament tells you to kill sabbath workers, kill women who are raped because they did not scream for help, exterminate the canaanites for idolatry and because God "promised them" canaan, exterminate the population of any city that has turned to idolatry, mistreat slaves in a far worse fashion than the quran ever ordered, etc. The Qur'an has a lot of violent rhetoric, but it is mostly figurative.


Um, no. The penalty for apostasy is death, that is not self defense.

The whole book is based on a violent warlord who liked young girls that cherry picked passages from the Talmud, the Old Testament and the New Testament.

don't you DARE insult my prophet, you filthy trash! First off, he did not "like young girls," he married ONE young girl which was common at the time, and none of his critics in Arabia, OR Europe brought that up, so I don't know why you people bring that up. Second, evidence shows that A'isha was actually somewhere between 14 and 19 when she married Muhammad, and even if she wasn't, times were different. Third, most of the women he married were widowed, and his first wife was 15 years older than him, And he was not a "violent warlord," he only fought in self-defense, for the LAST f*****g TIME!! !! You really need to read up on your history, because I think you are sorely lacking, and are being spoon-fed propaganda by those wish to insult and defame Islam you vile s**t. Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to add you to my foes list....



MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 1 Jul 2015
Age: 21
Posts: 735
Location: John's Creek, Georgia

25 Sep 2015, 3:11 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
MonsterCrack wrote:
If anything the Qur'an is LESS violent. The violence in the Qur'an is all about self-defense. But the Old testament tells you to kill sabbath workers, kill women who are raped because they did not scream for help, exterminate the canaanites for idolatry and because God "promised them" canaan, exterminate the population of any city that has turned to idolatry, mistreat slaves in a far worse fashion than the quran ever ordered, etc. The Qur'an has a lot of violent rhetoric, but it is mostly figurative.

I don't think you can say the violence is figurative, it quite detailed and vitriolic. Also some campaigns were offensive rather than purely defensive.

Also the God of the old testament is the same God according to Muslims.

As for YOU, 0_equals_true, I am not finished.... I am not just mad at andre the mooercowface..... as for YOU, yes, the violence was quite detailed, but described violence against those who wished to destroy Islam..... YOU, ALSO should read on your history. I see you are being spoon-fed propaganda by those who wish to destroy Islam.... I am adding YOU to my foes list, as well...



MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 1 Jul 2015
Age: 21
Posts: 735
Location: John's Creek, Georgia

25 Sep 2015, 3:13 pm

MonsterCrack wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
MonsterCrack wrote:
If anything the Qur'an is LESS violent. The violence in the Qur'an is all about self-defense. But the Old testament tells you to kill sabbath workers, kill women who are raped because they did not scream for help, exterminate the canaanites for idolatry and because God "promised them" canaan, exterminate the population of any city that has turned to idolatry, mistreat slaves in a far worse fashion than the quran ever ordered, etc. The Qur'an has a lot of violent rhetoric, but it is mostly figurative.

I don't think you can say the violence is figurative, it quite detailed and vitriolic. Also some campaigns were offensive rather than purely defensive.

Also the God of the old testament is the same God according to Muslims.

As for YOU, 0_equals_true, I am not finished.... I am not just mad at andre the mooercowface..... as for YOU, yes, the violence was quite detailed, but described violence against those who wished to destroy Islam..... YOU, ALSO should read on your history. I see you are being spoon-fed propaganda by those who wish to destroy Islam.... I am adding YOU to my foes list, as well...

nevermind, o equals truth, ill unblock you, but ONLY because you were civil...



0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

25 Sep 2015, 3:18 pm

Regarding history there was no contemporary records of either Jesus or Mohamed. All the record of these people were after the time. There wasn't a contemporary account of Mecca either.

I think telling me to read up on my history is a little disingenuous, I study history as much as the next person.



andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,254
Location: Sol System

25 Sep 2015, 3:23 pm

Equals, did you get a message from MonsterCrack as well?

He sent me two, one flaming me and one sending me an ISIS video. I am not kidding.



Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,752
Location: Sweden

25 Sep 2015, 3:26 pm

I'm sure that was in self-defense, too.


_________________
I'm bored out of my skull, let's play a different game. Let's pay a visit down below and cast the world in flame.


0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

25 Sep 2015, 3:27 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
Equals, did you get a message from MonsterCrack as well?

He sent me two, one flaming me and one sending me an ISIS video. I am not kidding.


Nope, if he did send an ISIS video then it should be reported. If you are not sure report it anyway.



MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 1 Jul 2015
Age: 21
Posts: 735
Location: John's Creek, Georgia

25 Sep 2015, 3:28 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:
Equals, did you get a message from MonsterCrack as well?

He sent me two, one flaming me and one sending me an ISIS video. I am not kidding.


Nope, if he did send an ISIS video then it should be reported. If you are not sure report it anyway.

wait, will I get banned from the site???



0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

25 Sep 2015, 3:30 pm

MonsterCrack wrote:
wait, will I get banned from the site???


You are young, but old enough to know that any content with incitement can get you in trouble.

As I haven't seen the content I can't judge.



MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 1 Jul 2015
Age: 21
Posts: 735
Location: John's Creek, Georgia

25 Sep 2015, 3:31 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
Equals, did you get a message from MonsterCrack as well?

He sent me two, one flaming me and one sending me an ISIS video. I am not kidding.


i am deeply sorry.... i apologize, that was uncalled for...



andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,254
Location: Sol System

25 Sep 2015, 3:31 pm

These are the messages I received. Debating about sending it to the authorities or not.

Image

Image