The Quran is not worse than the Hebrew Bible

Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,732
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

29 Sep 2015, 4:54 am

andrethemoogle wrote:
These are the messages I received. Debating about sending it to the authorities or not.

Image

Image



Isn't that pic in the ISIS video from Assassin's Creed?

lol



The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,732
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

29 Sep 2015, 5:02 am

MonsterCrack wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:
These are the messages I received. Debating about sending it to the authorities or not.


My personal opinion is if there is any incitement legally, the it is should be recorded. But perhaps also charities that work with young people on counter narratives like Quilliam Society should also be informed.

http://www.quilliamfoundation.org/contact-us/

I don't know what groups there are in the US. Quilliam is UK based but also operates internationally.

If it falls short of incitement, then perhaps just ask for advice from one of those groups.

Before i sent the video (which was the anthem of isis), i wrote, "now suck on this..." is that incitement??? answer me, please???


What's your view on isis? Do you admire them?



MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 1 Jul 2015
Age: 21
Posts: 735
Location: John's Creek, Georgia

29 Sep 2015, 6:09 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MonsterCrack wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:
These are the messages I received. Debating about sending it to the authorities or not.


My personal opinion is if there is any incitement legally, the it is should be recorded. But perhaps also charities that work with young people on counter narratives like Quilliam Society should also be informed.

http://www.quilliamfoundation.org/contact-us/

I don't know what groups there are in the US. Quilliam is UK based but also operates internationally.

If it falls short of incitement, then perhaps just ask for advice from one of those groups.

Before i sent the video (which was the anthem of isis), i wrote, "now suck on this..." is that incitement??? answer me, please???


What's your view on isis? Do you admire them?

no, i don't admire them... i was going for shock value.



0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

30 Sep 2015, 3:19 pm

MonsterCrack wrote:
no, i don't admire them... i was going for shock value.


It is not the smartest thing to do though. You risk getting yourself in deep water.

Also by causing shock you are effectively doing their work.

It is an own goal becuase it doesn't convince others you are moderate, the opposite.

Next time find another outlet for you frustrations. It is far better to respond in a rational way, rather than taking thing personally.

Offense is part of life, it is not something you can stop by shocking people. You can decide you are going to let it bother you, and perhaps try to argue your point, if not ignore.



The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,732
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

30 Sep 2015, 4:05 pm

MonsterCrack wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MonsterCrack wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:
These are the messages I received. Debating about sending it to the authorities or not.


My personal opinion is if there is any incitement legally, the it is should be recorded. But perhaps also charities that work with young people on counter narratives like Quilliam Society should also be informed.

http://www.quilliamfoundation.org/contact-us/

I don't know what groups there are in the US. Quilliam is UK based but also operates internationally.

If it falls short of incitement, then perhaps just ask for advice from one of those groups.

Before i sent the video (which was the anthem of isis), i wrote, "now suck on this..." is that incitement??? answer me, please???


What's your view on isis? Do you admire them?

no, i don't admire them... i was going for shock value.


They all know you're Muslim here, and therefore anything you do that seems pro-Isis, even it was joke, you would be quickly associated to isis.

So it's a stupid thing to do.



0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

30 Sep 2015, 4:24 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
They all know you're Muslim here, and therefore anything you do that seems pro-Isis, even it was joke, you would be quickly associated to isis.

So it's a stupid thing to do.


If someone sent me an ISIS video to cause shock, I wouldn't check to make sure they are Muslim before being concerned.



AspE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,114

30 Sep 2015, 4:45 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
There is some good criticism of both works. However is rare to get a comparison that is not slanted one way or that other.

The reality is the Hebrew Bible contains much of the justified violence, inhumanity and immorality as in the Quran. In fact those things in the Quran which are problematic are very much been shown to be derived from Old Testament concepts. Every from treatment of women, attitudes to slavery, etc. Maybe not everything, but even what isn't you can't really say it is worse. The best you could say is it didn't really advance in all those centuries.

I've sometimes been guilty not giving due comparison.

With that in mind is is possible to differentiate between how moderates practice and what the doctrine says?

I very much suspect that Jesus (so long as you could call this a single person), was intending to subvert these ideas (an oppressive rule), to try and make it a bit more humane by contemporary standards. This is a theory, but it is the case that there is quite bit that doesn't match up with New Testament an Old Testament.

Thoughts?

Of course, one was based on the other. But Jews have had more time to adapt to societies where they have no political power and are largely secular now.



0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

30 Sep 2015, 5:02 pm

AspE wrote:
Of course, one was based on the other. But Jews have had more time to adapt to societies where they have no political power and are largely secular now.


Yes but extremism is on the rise in Isreal. Some of these ultra-Orthodox view are using the same sort of justification as Islamist.

A decade ago I would have describe Israel as largely secular, however it is becoming less so.

On three counts:

1. Draconian emergency law where you have a situation where people are held without trial, as with he case of the recent arson attack on Christians.
2. Also the increase on ultra-Orthodox, ultra-Conservative sects.
3. Israel has created security buffers to protect themselves, but the people the move to these region ten to be more ideological.



The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,732
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

30 Sep 2015, 5:18 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
AspE wrote:
Of course, one was based on the other. But Jews have had more time to adapt to societies where they have no political power and are largely secular now.


Yes but extremism is on the rise in Isreal. Some of these ultra-Orthodox view are using the same sort of justification as Islamist.

A decade ago I would have describe Israel as largely secular, however it is becoming less so.

On three counts:

1. Draconian emergency law where you have a situation where people are held without trial, as with he case of the recent arson attack on Christians.
2. Also the increase on ultra-Orthodox, ultra-Conservative sects.
3. Israel has created security buffers to protect themselves, but the people the move to these region ten to be more ideological.


4- The illegal settlements are more filled with ultra-Orthodox militias to terrorize Palestinians when needed.



0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

30 Sep 2015, 6:07 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
4- The illegal settlements are more filled with ultra-Orthodox militias to terrorize Palestinians when needed.


I can't disagree that they are illegal, but practically the removal of these settlements from Gaza hasn't made the place safer or less extreme. The opposite, it when down hill almost straight away, this was before 2006.

I don't agree with the strategy, but understand the logic. Also there was a gap between 1st and 2nd/3rd intifada. This degree of settlement was no done for periods of Isreal's history. The front moved significantly after Isreal was attacked by the Arab states. However once thing stabilised there were period of non movement, and dissatisfaction hasn't ebbed.

I do blame the Isrealis for the rise of Hamas though, both materially and through inaction to engage with moderates. However there is no reason to think that removal of settlement from the West Bank would be enough, to trigger serious peace effort.

The reality is there is a lack of will to make peace on both sides. Real suffering is being cause by a neurotic necessity to be righteous.