Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2007, 1:13 pm

Napoleon, Pedro, and Deb seem like obvious Aspies, with their monotone voices, problems with eye contact, social issues, and trouble giving appropriate emotional responses.

I was chatting with an online friend about the movie once, when she said that she loves to laugh at such losers. I immediately knew that she would never be someone I would eventually want to meet in person. I haven't had any interest in speaking to her since. I did think the movie was funny, but it was more like I was laughing at myself or some people I would have been friends with, if I had ever found any people like them.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 2:11 pm

I just thought it was funny because of how pointless the characters' struggles seemed to be.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 2:22 pm

LOL. I loved Napoleon Dynamite. It did make me laugh, not because I was laughing AT Napoleon but because I RELATED to him. He reminded me so much of myself! It's weird though... I don't think people in high school saw me that way. I think people just didn't know me :)

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2007, 3:20 pm

Yes, absolutely! I felt like I related to him as well, although I don't think I was ever quite that clueless. I was, actually, a lot like Deb, except I did have people to eat with at lunch.

Napoleon is my favorite recent movie! I joke with my kids that Pedro is secretly sabotaging Napoleon in the scene where he tries to jump the ramp. Did you notice how one of the pieces to the ramp is missing, after Pedro successfully jumps? Pedro just stands there, innocently, and watches, like he doesn't know what's going to happen. Inwardly, he's laughing hysterically, but outwardly he shows no emotion. :lol: Cracks me up every time I watch!

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2007, 3:24 pm

What, Dejaq, you don't think asking Trisha to the dance or selling nylon polymer is of the utmost importance in life? :wink:

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 7:01 pm

I thought they seemed much more HFA than AS. Then again, there was something wrong with everyone at that school. Yes, even Summer.

Oh, here's something funny! I have a friend named Pedro who moved here two weeks before me, and we were both going to the same school as new students. Anyway, he said he wanted to run for class president so people would wear shirts that said 'Vote for Pedro'! LOL Unfortunately, we found out that if you haven't been in the school district for at least a year, you couldn't run. And to think I was going to be his campaign manager, too!

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2007, 8:18 pm

Yes, they were all definitely living in the wrong time period, even though it was supposed to be modern day, according to Napoleon's photo ID.

If you watched American Idol this season, you might have seen the guy with the last name Pedro. Every time he performed, he said, "Vote For Pedro." It was funny the first time, but it got to be annoying, after a while. I think that might be why he got voted off so early. He really was a good singer.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 8:20 pm

I felt I could relate to Napoleon, especially with his drawing skills. 8)

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 11:31 am

ghostgurl wrote:
I felt I could relate to Napoleon, especially with his drawing skills. 8)

"Liger" :D

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 3:39 pm

LOL. Astoundingly enough, ligers are REAL.

Hans_Solo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Apr 2007, 3:11 am

Tigon > liger.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 12:56 am

I’ve never seen the film Napolean Dynamite.

One of my associates has come to the conclusion I am Napolean Dynamite, and another agrees with that. I am sure that I don't look like that character at all, nor do I look like the actor who plays him (I don't have curly hair, and I don't wear glasses).

Should I watch the film, or would my feelings be hurt enough that I’m better off not watching it? It couldn’t possibly help me if I watched it, right?

PG500
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2007, 3:47 am

I feel like I relate to Napolean sometimes

I suggest watching it, it's a pretty funny movie.

nathan-51
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Sep 2007, 5:48 pm

I agree. I personally love Napoleon Dynamite, and I think the title character is actually quite similar to being an Aspie. Very socially awkward, yet having specific strengths in a few areas, not having too many friends, but those he has, he gets very close with. I found the movie was very funny as well, and I also find it to be a good thing to compare Asperger's and myself to, when I try to explain myself to another person for the first time, or someone who wants to understand me as an Aspie better.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 8:35 pm

I think Deb is very cute...

I'm not exactly like any of the characters in the film, but I definitely can relate to them.

I actually think it's really a romantic comedy... I get very happy watching the scenes where Napoleon and Deb are together towards the end. The music, everything... it's perfect...

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 10:41 am

It's my favorite movie. It's really cute.