Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 8:52 am

Finally all this RINO did was allow Obama to have control over an extra branch of power.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/26/us/bo ... gress.html
Hopefully someone with real guts can take the position as Speaker.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Sep 2015, 9:58 am

good riddance

long time coming

I won't miss Boehner the Orange.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 1:32 pm

Finally! Boehner didn't do much as Speaker other than making sure fellow Republicans kept blocking bill after bill.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 4:06 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Finally! Boehner didn't do much as Speaker other than making sure fellow Republicans kept blocking bill after bill.

Actually that's not entirely true.

Boehner in order to keep his Speakership had to play a fine line of getting actual work done and giving the Tea Party conservatives enough to prevent a rebellion that would oust him.
Conservatives have wanted him gone every since Boehner negotiated that "Grand Bargain" with Obama (a few years back) and have made it their point to force him out by any means necessary.
They hate him for cut dealings with the others.

He narrowly won reelection to his post In January as the conservatives rebelled.
The vote was 216 - 192 for him to retain the Speakership

Though his meeting with Pope Francis drove him to resign his seat in the House.

Since he is leaving at the end of October, he no longer has to worry about keeping his post, thus avoiding the impending government shutdown.

It is expected and rumored he will force a 2 year Continuing Resolution (funding bill) through Congress, so the issue will not come up again until the new House is in control in 2017.

He can do this by offer a clean bill to moderate Republicans and the Democrats, by bypassing the conservatives.
The Senate is sick of House forcing government shutdowns on them.
A clean bill should pass the Senate with great ease.

Though the sticking point will be elected his replacement in November.
Conservative faction wants a die hard conservative Speaker, but the rest don't want it.
Thankfully the Democrats will be influential on who the next Speaker will be due to a divided Republican party.
Oh, you don't have to be a member of the House to become Speaker.

Speaker Trump anyone?

Edit: When Rubio delivered the news to the conservative members at Value Voter, they cheered with thunderous applause.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 4:12 pm

I am wondering who will replace the Orange from the great state of Ohio.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 4:18 pm

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
I am wondering who will replace the Orange from the great state of Ohio.

Possible no one, since it will need the non Republican members to get the majority vote.

It wouldn't be the first time the House has gone without a Speaker due to divisions.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 7:36 pm

Ultimately, Boehner resigned because he thought the Republican establishment could court the Tea Party in order to draft them as soldiers against Obama, fully expecting a Democratic Presidential defeat in the upcoming election. He believed he could control the right of his party - they do all the work and heavy lifting, but would have no real power. Well, the Tea Party has proven to be Boehner's Frankenstein monster, which as in the Marry Shelly novel, proved to be uncontrollable with a mind and agenda all it's own, and in the end turns on and destroy's it's creator.
Bye, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out, Dr. Franken.... I mean Speaker Boehner.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 9:11 pm

Start saving, government shutting down, no disability checks.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 9:15 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Start saving, government shutting down, no disability checks.

Not quite. SSDI, SSI, and Retirement are not paid from general funds. The funds will be paid on time. (I had those worries back in 2013, when sequestration hit.)

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 8:14 am

mcconnell is next

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 10:33 am

Good riddance! The bone head didn't know what party he belonged to. There's nothing worse than a fence sitter.

As far as the Tea Party demonizing goes, the establishment (Republican and Democrat) did a great job of destroying a grass-roots movement. Between mass media fact twisting, IRS persecution, and the suborning of the movement by the 'Progressive' wing of the GOP, We The People are once again put in our place.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 12:24 pm

I'm going to be careful of how I say this but, I was never fond of Boehner then again, there has been members of the democratic party decades back that were not so wonderful however, The Republican Party to a certain extent was always very friendly with NRA and other lobbyist groups. But to be fair there has been special interest groups that the democratic party has been super nice with.Therefore, I'm glad I'm independent.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 12:00 pm

McCarthy (a.k.a. Bohner 2.0) has dropped out.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/08/politics/ ... -chaffetz/

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 12:13 pm

AntDog wrote:

Who's the next victim?
Could it be that McCarthy sees the handwriting on the wall, that after decades of same-o same-o, We The People are fed up with career politicians? Seems to me that McCarthy doesn't want to put himself forward because making a low profile may just save his seat (both political and physical).

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 5:26 pm

glebel wrote:
AntDog wrote:

Who's the next victim?
Could it be that McCarthy sees the handwriting on the wall, that after decades of same-o same-o, We The People are fed up with career politicians? Seems to me that McCarthy doesn't want to put himself forward because making a low profile may just save his seat (both political and physical).

I think his dropping out of the running has more to do with how he couldn't stop himself from gleefully admitting on camera that the Benghazi investigation is primarily just a means to derail Hillary Clinton's Presidential campaign, and the Democrats and the media called him on it.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 6:00 pm

McCarthy is Boner 2.0 for sure and had a stupid mouth to boot, Daniel Webster would run a fair house who wouldn't purge members because they didn't tow the party line and would allow people with minority views to speak out. Daniel Webster ran the Florida House of Representatives and has a history of working with the other party, it doesn't even matter what his personal views are if he's willing to play fair.