Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

fees
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Sep 2015, 6:13 pm

When I was in fourth grade I got a TV put into my room. I would watch it before going to bed. I soon thereafter had problems going to bed and would routinely stay up all night.

I would typically wake up unrested and go to school too tired to function. My grades started fall off and my performance in sports was sub optimal as well.

I am now 27. Until around 25 I lived on a 26 hour day, sleeping for 10 while being awake for 16. This meant that my sleeping schedule was constantly moving around the clock. I was self employed and so this was not a big deal and I was able to live normally to the extent that one can with such a sleep cycle.

Once I turned 25 I discovered that screens emit blue light which inhibit your ability to produce the chemicals which trigger sleep, thus pushing your sleep back every night. I promptly stopped looking at screens before going to bed and haven't had trouble maintaining a regular sleep cycle ever since. I wake up at 10am and go to bed at midnight basically every day.

My trouble is that, especially as I get older, getting good, consistent, deep, refreshing sleep, is often very difficult. I find that slight ripples can often impact my sleep for several days. For instance, if I didn't sleep well because maybe my room was too hot, the next day I would feel lethargic. The next night even with proper sleep I may wakeup and still not feel completely refreshed.

I notice that I have trouble waking up having to go to the bathroom at least once, sometimes two or three times at night. I believe this inhibits my sleep as well, making it hard for me to get into deep sleep and stay there. I have also noticed that as I get older it gets harder.

Even with proper sun light, diet, exercise, a cool sleeping environment, in a dark room, with a comfortable bed, I still am not guaranteed to sleep well.

I have been said to operate at 200% with proper sleep, but 20% without.

Does this resonate with anyone?

I should mention that I sleep on a tempurpedic mattress. If I don't sleep on one I am certain to not get deep sleep.

Thanks!! !

artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2015, 7:49 pm

Have you looked into getting a weighted blanket? I find that without it I wake up constantly at night, but with the blanket I am only up if I need to use the restroom, otherwise I am out for the night. Also helps calm me down if I am feeling stress/overwhelmed/overstimulated. I can wrap myself up in it and either take a nap or watch tv and right away I feel myself calming down. It has really helped both my sleeping and avoiding meltdowns and shutdowns. Dodger

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

fees
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Sep 2015, 7:56 pm

Cool I will look into that.

Unrelated: Where did you take the aspie test?

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

27 Sep 2015, 8:25 pm

Wish I had some advice to offer you but I haven't gotten a full nights sleep in 30 years. It seems the older one gets the more difficult it becomes to get good sleep.

artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2015, 8:35 pm

Just google search "aspie quiz" and it will come up. Answer with your first thought, do not overthink the questions. I took it post diagnosis just for my own enjoyment. I got my blanket from Mosaic Blankets online, was $200 for a 15lb blanket. They recommend 5-10% of your body weight +2lbs. At full weight it would have been 22lbs, I felt that was a bit much, so I went with 15lbs and love it, worth every penny spent. Dodger

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 6:33 am

Whilst admittedly it's too early to form an opinion of any great substance, I have found that Mirtazapine has vastly improved my sleep over the past few nights. I believe it's ordinarily prescribed to those who are either depressed, highly anxious, exhibit severe sleeping difficulties or demonstrate OCD traits.

Templeton
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Sep 2015, 1:13 pm

I find that getting to sleep is my problem. I actually rely on TV to fix this.

If I go to bed without the TV on then quite often I'll start thinking about all kinds of stuff which keeps me awake. Things like: what I did today; what I must do tomorrow; what went well; what went badly; what I'm dreading.

With the TV on (I'm often turned away from it with my eyes closed) I focus on listening to something other than my own thoughts. I usually drift off in no time.

To the person who invented the sleep timer: THANK YOU!

Alas, as I get older the seemingly inevitable need to go pee seems to be waking me up in the early hours.