Watching Movies/TV Shows Multiple Times

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

SpongeBobFan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Sep 2015, 7:41 pm

So throughout my life, I've been able to watch movies and TV show episodes multiple times (like over 10-20 times) without getting bored. Many people have wondered how I do that and I never associated the reason with autism, until one day my mum pointed out that it could be related to autism, and how maybe each time I watch it, I notice something new that I wasn't able to focus on the last time.
I also now theorise it could be related to repetition and familiarity. Especially since people with autism do tend to like things they are already familiar with, and also like to have routines.

What do you think? Are you able to watch these kinds of things multiple times, and do you think the reason could be related to autism?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 7:45 pm

I once knew a girl who listened to the same song hundreds of times one day.

She wasn't autistic.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 8:25 pm

I can watch movies and tv shows over again, I know "Muriel's Wedding, Bangkok Hilton, Grease off by heart now. :D

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 8:30 pm

When I was a little rob0t, I could watch the same movie repeatedly. Ah, Ghostbusters is one of the freakiest movies to watch as a 5 year old.

Nowadays, I'm the opposite. I cannot stand watching a movie more than once. It's almost painful to do and makes me feel the burden of time wasting. Ironically I waste time in other ways.

There might be one or 2 movies out there that I could, but generally once is enough!

NT people I've talked to also have similar stories to tell. But then there are exceptions on both sides.

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 5:50 am

SpongeBobFan wrote:
So throughout my life, I've been able to watch movies and TV show episodes multiple times (like over 10-20 times) without getting bored. Many people have wondered how I do that and I never associated the reason with autism, until one day my mum pointed out that it could be related to autism, and how maybe each time I watch it, I notice something new that I wasn't able to focus on the last time.
I also now theorise it could be related to repetition and familiarity. Especially since people with autism do tend to like things they are already familiar with, and also like to have routines.

What do you think? Are you able to watch these kinds of things multiple times, and do you think the reason could be related to autism?

I watch some TV shows and movies multiple times, but only those I like. There are also movies I don't like and don't want to watch again. I agree with the two reasons you mentioned: I like it to notice new details every time I watch it and watching a familiar movie helps me to relax. I know what it is about, I like it and I find that relaxing.

TheNameless
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Sep 2015, 8:53 am

I don't know that it is typically an autism related thing since I know of other people who do this but I personally, have watched movies to the point I could reenact them and know every line but usually only favourites.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 11:40 am

I do this. I think part of it is trying to fully absorb something I like. Most of the time when I see a movie I really like, I have trouble remembering it a short time after I see it. So I end up watching it multiple times until I have all the aspects fully memorized. Also I find the familiarity of something watched many times to be comforting.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 5:39 pm

I'm able to do this with music, listen to the same song on repeat for hours or replay a certain stage in a video game multiple times in a row.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 6:15 pm

I used to do this all the time when I was a kid. i must have watched the first two Indiana Jones movies hundreds of times.

Some shows/movies I still can. This is mainly because I find so very few movies I can even stand and even fewer shows. Mostly comedies I can watch repetitively. I've watched through the Trailer Park Boys seasons at least three times (except the last season I only saw once). Mr. Show. Ali G. Dozens of times. I also can do this with music as I have a very narrow taste.

I always found it odd that it's perfectly normal to listen to the same album over and over, but if it's a movie or show alot of people see it as odd.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 2:49 pm

I watch a lot of shows over and over again. I have done it since I was little. My mom constantly wonders how I don't get sick of them, but I really never tire of them.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 11:41 pm

beakybird wrote:
I used to do this all the time when I was a kid. i must have watched the first two Indiana Jones movies hundreds of times.

Some shows/movies I still can. This is mainly because I find so very few movies I can even stand and even fewer shows. Mostly comedies I can watch repetitively. I've watched through the Trailer Park Boys seasons at least three times (except the last season I only saw once). Mr. Show. Ali G. Dozens of times. I also can do this with music as I have a very narrow taste.

I always found it odd that it's perfectly normal to listen to the same album over and over, but if it's a movie or show alot of people see it as odd.

I have an NT friend who always asks to watch "The Princess Bride" on movie night. It's his all time favorites. I always say no. :P I'm a big meanie right?

One of these days, I'm gonna have say yes. But even with it being like one of the best movies ever, it's still painful for me to have to sit through another 2 hours of the same thing. That might be the ADHD, but I don't know?

Although, I didn't mind sitting through Ice Age 3. Gotta love Sid the sloth. :heart: But I don't know if I could sit through part 4 again, even though it was a decent sequel.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 6:57 am

As a kid in kindergarden I used to listen to the same cassette tapes over and over and over, forever.
Movies I can rewatch a few times, but eventually I don't bother anymore because the novelty and surprise factors are gone.
Youtube videos I can sometimes watch like 100 times nonstop.
Music I can listen to on repeat for hours.
I used to replay entire video games, usually I replay every game at least once. It wasn't even that there was a lot of new stuff to discover, I just wanted to have the same experience again and couldin't imagine that there could possibly be better things to do with my time, all I knew was that the game is good so it's worth a replay. For example, there was this game called "Hotel Dusk" that's basically an interactive novel; I played that so many times that I knew the characters' dialogues by heart.
Oh yeah and while in grade 5, 6 or 7 I used to watch Spongebob every evening, which was basically the same few episodes on repeat. There too I knew the exact dialogue and could repeat entire episodes in my head. Too bad I don't have access to many memories from that time. :(

I wouldn't say you can't do this as NT, but if you have autism the chances are much higher.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 7:11 am

I remember watching Disney movies and a few other things on VHS over and over again when I was much younger.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 8:59 am

My youngest daughter (who has numerous autistic traits but is not diagnosed) used to watch two movies ("Wizard of Oz" and "Mary Poppins") every day when she was younger (ages 3-5). She easily watched each > 100 times.

When I was younger, it was different. While I used to watch a lot of TV, we didn't have as much choice. We simply watched what they broadcast.

StaticWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2015, 2:48 pm

I can watch a few episodes of a series and a few movies multiple times, yes. In the other hand I can't read a book two times.