Do you have a problem with breaking things by accident?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 11:15 pm

today I accidentally broke my grandmothers pencil sharpener it was the pretty much the last thing I haven't broken in her apartment. It made me feel really bad and upset because that was important to her it was from when she was younger in the 70s or 80s and she had it for so long.

Also my dolls are mostly very dirty and their limbs are loose and I wish I could get it fixed.

Does anybody have a problem with the breaking things without meaning to and breaking others things about meaning to? For me I do my Moter skill and other problems but what else do you think it is?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 12:09 am

Yeah

I drop things often. Mainly because I don't know how hard I'm holding them/how much pressure I'm applying.

It's a bother.

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2015, 12:47 am

No, but I do fall down a lot...I think maybe that kind of goes under the same category...? As in, not being sure of where your body is in space and what it's doing, what pressure to apply, etc. (I never seem to know how "hard" to step, where my feet are going to land, etc.)?

My son (classic/Kanner) does break things a lot, not realizing the amount of force he's using. For instance, he broke off all the elastic sizers inside his pants yanking them way too tightly, and I see him doing the same thing with his shoe laces all the time - yanking them really hard to close them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 2:04 am

Yes, it seems sometimes I just use too much force....like I broke a sprayer for a garden hose because someone put it on a weird lock setting i couldn't figure out, and in trying to undo that I broke the handle so it wouldn't spray water at all. There was also that sword that came with an action figure of Arya from Game of Thrones that I broke trying to take it out of the package. I've of course broken cups, plates, bottled drinks....most recently with that lost my grip on a beer I had just opened and well that sucked.

So yeah I'd say it does get to be an issue at times.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 2:26 am

If someone wants something ruined or destroyed, all they have to do is give it to me lol. Seriously though I am unintentionally very awkward and clumsy. And use too much strength sometimes. I could easily see myself breaking that pencil sharpener.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 3:10 am

I don't often break things. I'm more likely to drop something unbreakable on to the floor than something breakable. When I'm handling something breakable, I subconsciously grip it tighter in my hand.

But it doesn't mean I have better motor skills. I can't peel potatoes or other vegetables or fruits. I always cut my fingers. Mind you, I shouldn't really just jump to that conclusion, because these are probably things that require practice.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 3:30 am

I drop things. I cut myself all the time - but then I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Breaking things by force, not so much. I'm really bad at brushing kids' teeth, though. Don't know how much pressure I'm applying.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 5:13 am

I am not that clumsy. Actually I am very good in deciding how much pressure I should use and I don't drop stuff often.

But I tend to break stuff when I am stimming.
For example I unintentionally broken a lot of my grandma's beads by fidgeting them (I just liked the feeling how they stretch in my hands and unfortunately all materials have a limit how far and how many times they can stretch...) and if you give me a pair of scissors I will try to cut anything I can find, for the feeling. Give me a piece of paper and I will cut/tear it into tiny pieces and look around for more materials. :lol:

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 5:24 am

I drop things all the time. I have broken so many plates and glasses that we only use plastic now. A full grown adult...eating off plastic like I'm 4.

I also bang into things a lot and knock things over.

When I was younger, I tightened bottles and other things too tightly, and the rest of my family could not get them open. I do better at that now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 5:32 am

To me, that means less dishes to do! I don't mind using plastic utensils/plates at all. I'd rather use a metal fork/spoon, though. My wife, though, insists on using china. Occasionally, I might break a plate or glass--but so does my wife!

Yep....I break things. But I'm much better than I used to be.

I also break handles of things--like washing machine doors or microwave handles. I have to watch out when I use these things.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 5:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
To me, that means less dishes to do! I don't mind using plastic utensils/plates at all. I'd rather use a metal fork/spoon, though. My wife, though, insists on using china. Occasionally, I might break a plate or glass--but so does my wife!

Yep....I break things. But I'm much better than I used to be.

I also break handles of things--like washing machine doors or microwave handles. I have to watch out when I use these things.

The plastic plates and cups are reusable...just not breakable. :D
I don't mind doing dishes.

This is one area I don't think people "get" unless they also have problems with breaking things. I really cannot have nice things. They will all get ruined in one way or another. :(

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 6:50 am

I have to do things with 100% effort so I on things that need gentle, surgical type of handling I push, pull to hard.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2015, 6:56 am

Yep, broken things, dropped stuff and bumped into objects. I'm way too clumsy.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 6:57 am

I'm usually really stressed at school so I fiddle with my pencils, erasers and calculator a lot in a bad way until it breaks. Then I feel very bad after, especially if it was a calculator, because I live in a very poor family and I have to go take a one hour walk everytime just to get another one.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 7:00 am

Hey Nerdygirl, I hope I didn't upset you. I know what you mean....I use those re-usuable plastic dishes, too.

I have a lot of respect for you, Nerdygirl.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 4:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Hey Nerdygirl, I hope I didn't upset you. I know what you mean....I use those re-usuable plastic dishes, too.

I have a lot of respect for you, Nerdygirl.

You didn't upset me at all.