Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 11:06 am

Anybody see the lunar eclipse Monday night? I had an excellent view of it, probably the best I will ever see. The moon was near full, and where I live (mountains of Southern California) the moon is very clear and seems to be larger then it does in the flatlands. It turned a deep red and lasted for quite some time.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 11:26 am

I saw it, but the photos I got of it may as well have been taken with a potato. :P

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 11:29 am

That sucks! I totally forgot about photographing it until after it was over. That also sucks, as I could have gotten some great photos.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 11:53 am

No there were stupid clouds covering the entire sky.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 2:11 pm

I was really sleepy. I had just a fuzzy idea that people were talking about something that might be a lunar eclipse. I briefly considered going outside to watch the moon; then remembered how little time I had left to sleep that night and said, “Screw it!”

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 9:43 pm

I just sorta pointed the camera into the telescope eyepiece b/c I had nothing else set up and tested. :|
We're...sort of a science-centric household so the whole family was out watching the eclipse, off and on.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 10:19 pm

I saw it quite well but didn't realize it turned reddish. That may be because I'm colorblind.

Skullbug
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Sep 2015, 12:09 pm

Nope. Too many clouds. :(

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 10:43 pm

Yes, I saw it. It was really fascinating to see the moon become redder. My mother joked that maybe it was Mars and not the moon. Luckily what few clouds there were weren't enough to ruin the eclipse. A birch tree stopped it after some hours though. But at that time the moon was reddish orange anyway, so we saw the main event.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 8:16 am

There's been a high-pressure weather system over the UK in the last few days, and consequently a lot of fine weather and clear skies, which made observation conditions ideal. The full moon was a wonderful sight, a brilliant white, as was the crescent stage as the eclipse developed. In the total eclipse phase, the moon didn't really become 'blood red', more a sort of washed-out, muddy orange with large blackish patches.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 8:35 am

I sortof wanted to, but i'd have to get up at 4-ish AM, on a workday, so i decided not to.
I made the right choice as there were too many clouds to see anything anyway.
Next chance in 2030 i guess ;)

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2015, 4:59 pm

I saw most of it as I was visiting my mom's house outside of Las Vegas. The reason I mention that I saw most of the eclipse is the sky was partly cloudy so there were times when clouds covered the moon. Unfortunately, I didn't bring my regular camera, so I'm one of those who took fuzzy cellphone pictures.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 6:42 pm

Was cloudy where I live too.

We went outside to look. The Moon was normal color, but we could see that it was bigger and brighter than normal. Than it went behind the clouds. Then a little later it partially reappeared with a reddish look. But we could never really see the eclipsed part.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2015, 2:55 am

I tried hard to get a video of it with my gopro and pics with my Canon...... Turned out meh. My settings were whacked.. I kept trying to chase settings as it got later but I gave up and just tried for raw video from my canon.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 11:19 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Was cloudy where I live too.

We went outside to look. The Moon was normal color, but we could see that it was bigger and brighter than normal. Than it went behind the clouds. Then a little later it partially reappeared with a reddish look. But we could never really see the eclipsed part.

When it turns red...you are looking at the full eclipse. Before and after you'll see the blindingly white surface the black/dark, shadowed part. Once it all gets in shadow & the brilliant white is gone our eyes can open up and see the red/orange. So, congratulations, you *did* see it! :)

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 11:20 am

It's not blinding. 8O Is the regular moon blinding?