Page 11 of 11 [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 10:28 pm

CWA wrote:
HisShadowX wrote:
whatamess wrote:
There are many parents out there who research autism and some come here asking for advice. They say things such as "my son does this, is this an autistic trait"? With research and noticing many of all of the signs of autism in their children, they push schools and doctors to get their child diagnosed...they are hardly ever wrong. Most kids diagnosed today were diagnosed because someone, not necessarily someone qualified to diagnose them, noticed the signs. With that said, I'm not sure why anyone would think that an adult can suspect that a child is autistic, but that same adult can't read the same information and see it in themselves, after all, nobody knows how we feel/see the world/our experiences better than we do.

PS getting a diagnosis as an adult is not always easy...sometimes it is terrifying...with the view of most of the world thinkin autistics are broken or need to be fixed, as a parent, it is terrifying to seek a diagnosis and not think about the possible consequences of having that diagnosis on paper. In a divorce having such diagnosis could be the basis for an ex to attempt to take your kids away, it could be the basis for social services to say you can't really take care of your children because you are autistic and are prone to meltdowns, depression, etc. So just because someone is not diagnosed, does not mean that the person is making it up...they may have many reasons for not seeking a diagnosis or being able to even get one.

Good point on parents "pushing their child to be disgnosised"

In another thread here someone listed a study out there showing 'High Autism Rates Due To Over-Diagnosis' which begs the question are parents pushing their children into doctors or therapists who are handing out the diagnosis of ASD like candy?

We have some self diagnosised people refuting those claims as well on that thread though they are not for the most part adding in things that were not said but adding them in, in an attacking in wolf pack type of mentality.

For the most part the "how dare you" responses with the attacks have added in things that haven't been said. As I said before I wont be addressing those specific comments as in past threads they won't stop until they bring anyone who does not worship at the altar of the self diagnosised to heel.

Though we may disagree in our points you made some interesting points in your post.

Really? Parents pushing their children to be diagnosed? Are you effing insane? Most of the parents I meet are in utter denial. There are SO many kids still not getting diagnosed, I know quite a few who are older and not diagnosed and a LOT of really obvious ones that weren't "caught" until age 5 or so. A lot of parents DON'T want a label on their child so they do everything they can to avoid it (my nephew... his parents just moved him from school, to school, to school... then when he'd been booted out of every school in the district they MOVED and started over). My oldest daughter Showed signs really young but getting anyone to pay attention to my concerns was IMPOSSIBLE because she was verbal. When I finally went around the pediatrician and scheduled something on my own they were in shock that she had gotten to age 5 without a diagnosis because it was blazingly obvious. Getting a diagnosis for children is difficult and the places I've been it is NOT handed out like candy and they will send you packing if they think your child is NT or has something else going on other than ASD.

If a parent is "pushing" for a DX it's because something is hinky with their kid. No one takes a kid with no issues and pushes for a DX. Give me a break.

NO I am NOT effing INSANE...I am telling you what I see every single day WHERE I LIVE...not where YOU live. Why is it so hard for you to actually read somethig and understand that things are NOT what you see around you ONLY? Where I freaking live that is the way it is. I see it everyday. I have spoken with MANY teachers, therapists, etc. here. In fact over 33% of the kids here have some type of disability, that is BS...it is made up because yes, WHERE I LIVE the parents get extra money NOT in SSI, it doesn't exist here, but in welfare, foodstamps, handicap parking spaces and MANY OTHER THINGS...so get over yourself and try to understand another's point of view and understand that there is an entire world out there NOT just your little world in whatever town you live in in the USA. Geez.

probly.an.aspie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 8:02 am

whatamess wrote:
CWA wrote:
HisShadowX wrote:
whatamess wrote:
There are many parents out there who research autism and some come here asking for advice. They say things such as "my son does this, is this an autistic trait"? With research and noticing many of all of the signs of autism in their children, they push schools and doctors to get their child diagnosed...they are hardly ever wrong. Most kids diagnosed today were diagnosed because someone, not necessarily someone qualified to diagnose them, noticed the signs. With that said, I'm not sure why anyone would think that an adult can suspect that a child is autistic, but that same adult can't read the same information and see it in themselves, after all, nobody knows how we feel/see the world/our experiences better than we do.

PS getting a diagnosis as an adult is not always easy...sometimes it is terrifying...with the view of most of the world thinkin autistics are broken or need to be fixed, as a parent, it is terrifying to seek a diagnosis and not think about the possible consequences of having that diagnosis on paper. In a divorce having such diagnosis could be the basis for an ex to attempt to take your kids away, it could be the basis for social services to say you can't really take care of your children because you are autistic and are prone to meltdowns, depression, etc. So just because someone is not diagnosed, does not mean that the person is making it up...they may have many reasons for not seeking a diagnosis or being able to even get one.

Good point on parents "pushing their child to be disgnosised"

In another thread here someone listed a study out there showing 'High Autism Rates Due To Over-Diagnosis' which begs the question are parents pushing their children into doctors or therapists who are handing out the diagnosis of ASD like candy?

We have some self diagnosised people refuting those claims as well on that thread though they are not for the most part adding in things that were not said but adding them in, in an attacking in wolf pack type of mentality.

For the most part the "how dare you" responses with the attacks have added in things that haven't been said. As I said before I wont be addressing those specific comments as in past threads they won't stop until they bring anyone who does not worship at the altar of the self diagnosised to heel.

Though we may disagree in our points you made some interesting points in your post.

Really? Parents pushing their children to be diagnosed? Are you effing insane? Most of the parents I meet are in utter denial. There are SO many kids still not getting diagnosed, I know quite a few who are older and not diagnosed and a LOT of really obvious ones that weren't "caught" until age 5 or so. A lot of parents DON'T want a label on their child so they do everything they can to avoid it (my nephew... his parents just moved him from school, to school, to school... then when he'd been booted out of every school in the district they MOVED and started over). My oldest daughter Showed signs really young but getting anyone to pay attention to my concerns was IMPOSSIBLE because she was verbal. When I finally went around the pediatrician and scheduled something on my own they were in shock that she had gotten to age 5 without a diagnosis because it was blazingly obvious. Getting a diagnosis for children is difficult and the places I've been it is NOT handed out like candy and they will send you packing if they think your child is NT or has something else going on other than ASD.

If a parent is "pushing" for a DX it's because something is hinky with their kid. No one takes a kid with no issues and pushes for a DX. Give me a break.

NO I am NOT effing INSANE...I am telling you what I see every single day WHERE I LIVE...not where YOU live. Why is it so hard for you to actually read somethig and understand that things are NOT what you see around you ONLY? Where I freaking live that is the way it is. I see it everyday. I have spoken with MANY teachers, therapists, etc. here. In fact over 33% of the kids here have some type of disability, that is BS...it is made up because yes, WHERE I LIVE the parents get extra money NOT in SSI, it doesn't exist here, but in welfare, foodstamps, handicap parking spaces and MANY OTHER THINGS...so get over yourself and try to understand another's point of view and understand that there is an entire world out there NOT just your little world in whatever town you live in in the USA. Geez.

I am mostly in agreement with those who feel that self-diagnosis is valid due to a variety of factors...however i can see where you are coming from here too, whatamess. I live in an area where ppl seem to be polar opposites on this--we have ppl such as myself and my family who tend to be in total denial of illness/disability until it "smacks them upside the head" so to speak, in a way that can't be ignored and must be dealt with.

Then we have a portion of our population in our locality who dress in expensive clothing, own stuff i myself can't afford, but live in trashy-looking abodes with junk all around and pull out access cards to pay for their chips, soda etc., while buying lottery tickets on the side. And teach their kids how to get on some type of disability as young as possible so they can play the system instead of being a contributing member of society. So yes, there are those who push for a diagnosis of something, anything, to get money or special treatment.

However, there are a lot of ppl, myself included, who find a self-diagnosis a huge sigh of relief as they can finally stop blaming themselves for things that are neurological issues rather than character weaknesses. Those are the ones i have sympathy for. The lady who pulls out her access card to pay for her soda, chips, and pizza at a convenience store while i am waiting to buy gas for my car or some other practical thing and go home and cook supper for my family because it is cheaper...her i have no patience or use for. (i realize that there are those who are legitimately on public assistance too and i am not directing my rant at those folks. I needed it once too, but thankfully, not any more. I am talking about those who play the system at the expense of us hard working ppl and then live at a higher standard than those of us who work to earn our money.)

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2015, 9:36 pm

Ashariel wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I could be dead on the streets of a drug overdose or purposeful suicide if I had continued my self blame and increasing self loathing of everything that had gone wrong in my life.

My feelings exactly. If the alternative to self-diagnosis is this extreme level of self-blame, then I would far rather have people 'wrongfully' guessing they're autistic and finding the courage to keep living, instead of becoming just another statistic.

I can understand your logic in that. If someone is sucidal and he or she finds a group of people with a diagnosis they identity with and their mental health situation improves due to acceptance within this group isn't that a good thing?

I think in many ways it can be a good and bad thing. If someone can live life peacefully with their mind at ease isn't that a good thing? Yes, but life has a habit of catching up with all of us.

Again without the professional diagnosis from someone who is license to give an objective diagnosis what's to say that persons life won't come apart again without the proper treatment and care.

Every day in my city we deal with people with extreme psychosis who are better off in an Asylum but are literally kicked to the streets with free housing, food, and most importantly medication to keep them there psychosis in check.

But when they do not take their medicine they become a danger to themselves and other people.

My biggest fear when it comes to this crowd is what happens for those who are not autistic and do not receive the proper treatment.

Doctors miss diagnose people all the time granted but that miss diagnosis can have real consequences as that person can become impaired, injured or lose his or her life due to a miss diagnosis and can be a legal nightmare for the medical group the doctor is in.

That danger still exists when someone plays doctor as well.

If anything we as a country really need to jump start our care for those who have mental impairments.
l