Things that neurotypicals say that annoy you

Page 2 of 3 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 12:55 am

GodzillaWoman wrote:
Quill wrote:
"You're smart/an adult/able to do something similar to this/whatever, so there's no reason you can't do x, y, and z, too."

Like that means anything at all...

You could bounce that one right back at them, for example, "you can fix a car, why can't you fix a computer???" It makes about as much sense.

Oh, that's a good idea. Thanks! :)

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 1:00 am

"stop acting like this."

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 2:08 am

Corporate buzzwords. I feel like they are speaking in code, or some sort of secret gang slang. Often times I don't know what they are talking about. I've heard all of these used, unfortunately:

“Listen Ray, I don’t have the bandwidth for it with everything that’s on my plate, but ping me anyway because at the end of the day it’s on my radar and I don’t want to be thrown under the bus because I didn’t circle back around on this no-brainer.”

It makes me want to grab the person by the lapels and screech, "Stop mangling the English language, you fatuous boob!!"

For more assaults on English, see this:
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/247195

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 2:43 am

GodzillaWoman wrote:
Corporate buzzwords. I feel like they are speaking in code, or some sort of secret gang slang. Often times I don't know what they are talking about. I've heard all of these used, unfortunately:

“Listen Ray, I don’t have the bandwidth for it with everything that’s on my plate, but ping me anyway because at the end of the day it’s on my radar and I don’t want to be thrown under the bus because I didn’t circle back around on this no-brainer.”

It makes me want to grab the person by the lapels and screech, "Stop mangling the English language, you fatuous boob!!"

For more assaults on English, see this:
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/247195

The article presumably written by NT's for NT's concluded that using that type of language is harmful for you.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 3:53 am

"You're weird."

"Stop freaking out/don't punch/hit/break anything!"

"Don't say X while they're here; they won't like it."

"Just go with the flow."

Those drive me crazy. The second one is usually said while I'm in the midst of a meltdown and is extremely unhelpful.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 6:24 am

"Why do you have to be so serious/intense?"

"Can't you get a joke?"

EthosNKA
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Oct 2015, 6:48 am

"You need to go out more"
"Try to relax/just relax"
"REACT!"
"You think you don't care but you do"
"You are always seeking for someone to blame but you"
"You are just too sensitive"
"You never try hard enough"
"You've just been hurt"
"Stop being so rigid"
long etcetera...

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 8:24 am

"I'm really bad at remembering people's names. It's like I'm autistic or something! lol!"
"I forgot my keys! I'm so ADD"
"I'm totally OCD about cleaning my kitchen!"

"Freak."
"I don't like your energy."
"You take up too much space in a room."
"What's wrong with you anyway?"

Former roommate said this to me once: "Have you heard of autism? Today in class we watched a video about it. If I were a mother, I would feel so bad for giving birth to an autistic child. They have no quality of life. They cannot speak. They basically get nothing out of life. It's not even worth living. I feel so bad for them."
I responded: "You know, not all autistic people are non-verbal. A lot of them feel as though they are pretty happy with the way their lives are going too. For instance, Temple Granden, or me."
Roommate: "Oh, You're not autistic, trust me"
Yes, I will trust you because you have watched a video in class... clearly
:?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 9:21 am

dcj123 wrote:
1) "I'm a neurotypical, and I'm here to help. Ask me anything."

As if we need help from a self-appointed expert on "anything". This is annoying because (1) this type of person gives answers about NTs that contradict our observations, and (2) their answers are not very helpful at all.

2) "The Aspie that I knew was obsessed with ________. Since you're not obsessed with the same thing, you're not an Aspie."

Aspies are individuals, not behavioral clones. Some stim, some don't. Some flap, some don't. Some avoid eye contact, some stare. Just because we're not exactly like the one Aspie they know does not mean we're not Aspies at all.

3) "Is this other person I know an Aspie?"

This is likely the most stupidly annoying one of all. How the hell should we know if someone else has an ASD? First, we're not qualified to render a diagnosis. Second, we have only the NTs word, making the observation of symptoms second-hand. Third, we have never met the NT or the people they know.

Do NTs really believe that having an ASD gives us special insight to every other person with an ASD? Most of us can't even understand our own behavior, much less that of other people.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2015, 9:27 am

"Why are you so quiet?"

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 9:46 am

'What's the matter with you?'

To which an effective answer is: 'What's the matter with you?'

'Wo viel Licht ist, ist auch viel Schatten'.
Goethe

'Demain était déjà très loin'.
Julien Gracq
Un balcon en forêt

'Aș vrea să pot să locuiesc în propriile mele cuvinte ...'
Nichita Stănescu
O confesiune

'Once one has learnt to pay attention to the characteristic manifestations of autism, one realises that they are not at all rare'.
Hans Asperger

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 10:06 am

Yes I've had the "Rainman" thing also. "But you're nothing like Rainman!"

If you have a problem with something I post, something I believe, something I do or say, something in my sig, or something I am stupid enough to share that I'm struggling with and being caused pain by -- TELL ME TO MY FACE so that I can defend myself, instead of see you make a mockery of or a dig about it later.

On the other hand, friends will never need an explanation, and enemies bent on disliking me will never accept one.

ASD Level 1, PTSD. Plus anxiety with panic attacks, mild sub-clinical situational depression -- and a massive case of sheer freakin' BURNOUT.

~ ~ ~

Myriad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2015, 10:54 am

"Stop overthinking things."

^ Yes, I do overthink things, but I find it's often used as a cop-out when I've confronted someone about something and they don't want to acknowledge my point of view.

"I can't believe you're worrying about something like that" (to paraphrase).

^ My concerns might seem trivial to others but to me they are genuinely bothersome.

I also dislike "Just go with the flow" (to quote StarTrekker).

AQ: 39 / 50

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 12:46 pm

Fnord wrote:
dcj123 wrote:
1) "I'm a neurotypical, and I'm here to help. Ask me anything."

As if we need help from a self-appointed expert on "anything". This is annoying because (1) this type of person gives answers about NTs that contradict our observations, and (2) their answers are not very helpful at all.

2) "The Aspie that I knew was obsessed with ________. Since you're not obsessed with the same thing, you're not an Aspie."

Aspies are individuals, not behavioral clones. Some stim, some don't. Some flap, some don't. Some avoid eye contact, some stare. Just because we're not exactly like the one Aspie they know does not mean we're not Aspies at all.

3) "Is this other person I know an Aspie?"

This is likely the most stupidly annoying one of all. How the hell should we know if someone else has an ASD? First, we're not qualified to render a diagnosis. Second, we have only the NTs word, making the observation of symptoms second-hand. Third, we have never met the NT or the people they know.

Do NTs really believe that having an ASD gives us special insight to every other person with an ASD? Most of us can't even understand our own behavior, much less that of other people.

4) "You just need to stop acting like an Aspie."

Suddenly, this person is an expert on human behavior, and tells the Aspie that all he or she needs to do is behave differently, and he or she will be cured.

5) "ASS-BURGER!"

Oh, great. Someone thinks he's being funny. I wonder what he says to people who have Trisomy 21 or Cerebral Palsy?

6) Whatever they say to you, they use small words, short sentences, a loud voice, sing-song intonation, and they slowly and carefully enunciate every single syllable.

Hey lady! Guess what? I am an intelligent adult! I am fully capable of understanding normal human speech, so you don't have to talk to me as if I was an eight year old child.

7) They talk about you as if you weren't there - as if you were an animal and the person next to you was your keeper.

Hello? I have a name, and I'm standing right here! If you want my participation, then ask me for it. If you want to know what I'm like, then get to know me personally, and not through the proxy of your choice.

8) "For someone who is supposed to be smart, you sure can be stupid!"

Okay, so I responded to the literal meaning of what someone else said, and it either offended them, or it made them laugh. Metaphorical speech is not my forte, so that's why you find me being factual, truthful, and literal. I wish other people were the same way, but I guess they prefer to make things up, tell lies, and speak in terms so oblique that only a polyglot linguist could possibly comprehend the real meaning behind their words?

Why don't they just say what they mean?

tbarber1
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Oct 2015, 1:02 pm

I get tired I people referencing rain man! The real "rain man" Kim Peak had FG syndrome an x chromosomal disorder. He was not a savant autistic.

Other than that I get annoyed when people say "but, you don't look like you have Aspergers/autism"

What does aspergers look like to you I then say! The responses that follow are usually slightly insulting, lol :lol: