Why do people assume autistic people don't have friends?

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 6:03 pm

Nicola2206 wrote:
It's like my mother said "but you were open as a kid and had friends", well I still a few friends now. The point is: how do I interact with people and connect with them? That's the core, that's the main issue. It's not about how many friends you have. It's about how you interact with people, the sensory issues, stims and many other things. It's not just about "friends". I don't think people on the autism spectrum don't have friends. It's BS. It's just harder for us to make friends....some of us are more social, others like me are really introverted, but still....

Saying "but you have/had friends and played with them!" should not be a way to invalidate someone on the spectrum. Autism is much more than that, especially in its mild form where you could sometimes look NT (although I fail to do that).

Anyone else agree and has personal experiences with this issue?

P.S: also I think she has traits too but won't admit it, I'm not sure whether to call her NT or not, so I won't label her

I had friends growing up but at least my mom admits I had troubles with them second grade and up. Before then, I was friends with kids in my special ed room, it was when I was put in main stream full time is when I started to have trouble. There is a difference between being friends with special needs kids and being friends with ordinary kids. And if my mother even noticed, I had troubles relating to my peers at their homes and the reason why I played better with them at my house was because we were all doing what I wanted to do. Kids would just come over and play with me and then leave when they were done and they only came over when they didn't have anyone else to play with so it was like I was being used. I even had a friend who would use me and my mom only let it happen because she wanted me to be social and have friends than be a loner. I did have kids who would just come and play with me and interact with me.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 10:46 pm

People all over the spectrum can have friends. I personally think the BIGGEST factor in a autistic person making friends is how accepting and easy going the friend is.
Growing up I had a best friend, we are still friends to this day. It's been 13 years.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 2:57 am

The opposite drives me crazy.
Like people say to me when I'm having surgery, you must have a friend, relative, or spouse to pick you up.
I tell them I don't have any of those people, just call the social services agency and get the caseworker to pick me up if they require it. They know I have autism. And they're still completely shocked, "surely you must have someone, a friend or a partner, who could collect you?"
No. I don't.
I know lots of autistics have friends and partners, and it is not fair to assume because you're autistic you don't. But to me, it is also not fair to assume someone with severe social difficulties would automatically have friends and significant others available or in their lives at all, just because "everyone does."
It's really rubbing my nose in it, proverbially.
Even telling me I will be disadvantaged, such as having to stay overnight instead of leave, or not be able to get paperwork I need completed, because no one else in my life can confirm my story.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 3:51 am

QuillAlba wrote:
I waved to three trees when I was walking my dog today.

I also tipped my hat to a deer.

If that isn't social interaction then I just don't know.

Haha! Perfect!

b9
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 4:50 am

i do have about 4 friends, but they will never really know me to my depths.
i am not sure if i have no depth, or whether my depth is in a different world to them.

people for me are just like toys that can hold my interest and stimulate me for a while, but always i have to retire to where there is no one but me.

i can not feel anything when friends say they care about me. that may be insulting to them, but really i just don't feel anything because whether they care or not, i still go through my own solitary routines of thought patterns they could never identify with.

so what do they care about? how i feel? they don't know how i feel. even if i was to talk forever in intricate detail to describe how i feel, i would never be able to make anyone else feel it.

i think the mirror neuron deficiency goes both ways. i am not able to feel what they feel accurately (i can only cognitively presume), and as a result, they can not fell what i feel because it is not available to be sensible to their efferent neurons.

it is like a 2 way mirror window where the people on both sides can not see each other, not just one side.

i am glad there are people in the world because i guess i would feel lonely if the world was emptied of all people but me, but i just like to live nearby to them and watch them pass by

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 5:02 am

QuillAlba wrote:

Love that!

Wreck It Ralph

b9
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 5:10 am

skibum wrote:

i can not see any social interaction in that chain of events.

did the three trees wave back or even acknowledge your attention to them?

if you tipped your hat to a deer, then depending on the size of the hat, it would likely cause the deer to panic and run.

but i never saw sense in those doctor do-little type of things anyway. just disney land stuff.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 1:09 pm

As a child the world is open , you haven-t been exposed to bigotry hatefulness violence.near as much
As we grow . It is the world veiws , and peers pressure we are inundated by that which destroys the guilless open beliefs that things are just as they appear . It is a kindness ,a blessing, a merit , to be able to hold onto those early realities . Children learn what they grow with , they say .
Not all A.S. people are naive but seem to be able to hang onto ( understand) .conceptualize these early believes as normal.
'Just an opinion '

where ever you go ,there you are

GwaneTIme
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Oct 2019, 4:15 pm

I have a nice girlfriend and 4 really good friends that are ready to help me when I need them. I have to say it is good for me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 3:14 pm

I'm actually guilty of thinking this. I think it's because I have mild autism (Asperger's syndrome) and I've always been rather sociable but I have been picked on, ostracized, rejected and excluded more times than I can remember, and if I'm with 2 other girls I've always been the third wheel. And I was very lonely as a teenager and never had the opportunity to go to sleepovers or hang out at the mall with a group or do all the other things normal teenagers do. The only thing I could do to socialize was to join a club for teenagers with disabilities, but I didn't fit in there either because I felt too 'neurotypical' for those sorts of people. So I've never been able to experience a group of neurotypical friends wanting my friendship and phoning me or texting me or knocking at my door or planning to go to parties or vacations or shopping trips, etc. So that is why I have always been baffled by how other people on the autism spectrum find and keep friends, especially if the friends are neurotypicals.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 4:52 pm

Nicola2206 wrote:
Why do people assume autistic people don't have friends?
Because that's the one complaint that people with autism make that seems to get the most attention.

(I'm including those "I can't get a boyfriend" / "I can't get a girlfriend" complaints in this.)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

PoseyBuster88
Toucan
Toucan

04 Oct 2019, 5:05 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm actually guilty of thinking this. I think it's because I have mild autism (Asperger's syndrome) and I've always been rather sociable but I have been picked on, ostracized, rejected and excluded more times than I can remember, and if I'm with 2 other girls I've always been the third wheel. And I was very lonely as a teenager and never had the opportunity to go to sleepovers or hang out at the mall with a group or do all the other things normal teenagers do. The only thing I could do to socialize was to join a club for teenagers with disabilities, but I didn't fit in there either because I felt too 'neurotypical' for those sorts of people. So I've never been able to experience a group of neurotypical friends wanting my friendship and phoning me or texting me or knocking at my door or planning to go to parties or vacations or shopping trips, etc. So that is why I have always been baffled by how other people on the autism spectrum find and keep friends, especially if the friends are neurotypicals.

I was similar - pretty good at masking, so tolerated, but never in the "inner circle" of friends. I found a couple good friends though. Try being on the lookout for women in math-related professions, like engineers or math professors. I am not a "math person," but they seem to relate well to my logic-driven way of looking at the world. And people from more blunt/brutally honest cultures, since I can say things like "please tell me what time to leave" and they will actually so it. So I don't overstay my welcome and then never get invited again. :-)

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 9:06 pm

Sometimes assumptions are necessary, subconscious, involuntary, or natural

Myth, misinformation, misconception

Society

Some autistics don't have friends

Some autistics have friends

All things equal, it is easier for neurotypicals to have friends, than for autistics to have friends

Not all things are equal

Asking "why" asks for correlation versus causation

Sometimes, wrong assumptions are not worth the energy it takes to correct them

Sometimes , even if you have the model answer, someone is not receptive

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 5:25 am

I had no friends for most of my life as those I thought were friends were jut keeping me around for entertainment. I always was left out or was just a person they could talk at but not care about. As a result when I left primary school I then had no real friends because I was so scared of being bullied again that I acted as normal as possible. That meant "friends" were friends with a watered down version of myself.

Now, I have 5 very close friends and a few more I feel comfortable with and I realised that I personally will only make friends with people who are either not NT, or who don't fit a normal mould. They usually are more caring and likely to understand. I wonder if the fact that many NT's don't have to deal with being an outcast, they can't sympathise and be more understanding when it comes to people being different. Because those who are make up a minority, they can be hard to find and so if that's the sort of person you are more likely to get on with, it will be tough to make friends.

MY number of friends is large due to chance and the fact I went to multiple schools. In the first most people didn't even realise when I left and in the second I was just lucky to stumble into a group of amazing weirdos. Being in top set probably helped because smart people are often different. I'm still young though so who knows what the future holds. Hopefully it's good because I've stopped trying to seem as normal and so have people genuinely liking me.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 10:38 am

If only........... but then again why ...... neurosis ,is keeping doing the same thing over and and expecting something to change ? a friend is ..........INSERT NEUROSIS OF YOUR CHOICE HERE ..........
ADDS a little sigh here . But still would be nice ? :|

where ever you go ,there you are

Dimples123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Oct 2019, 12:45 pm

I think NT's just make more friends than autistics.