Why do people assume autistic people don't have friends?

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 5:25 am

I had no friends for most of my life as those I thought were friends were jut keeping me around for entertainment. I always was left out or was just a person they could talk at but not care about. As a result when I left primary school I then had no real friends because I was so scared of being bullied again that I acted as normal as possible. That meant "friends" were friends with a watered down version of myself.

Now, I have 5 very close friends and a few more I feel comfortable with and I realised that I personally will only make friends with people who are either not NT, or who don't fit a normal mould. They usually are more caring and likely to understand. I wonder if the fact that many NT's don't have to deal with being an outcast, they can't sympathise and be more understanding when it comes to people being different. Because those who are make up a minority, they can be hard to find and so if that's the sort of person you are more likely to get on with, it will be tough to make friends.

MY number of friends is large due to chance and the fact I went to multiple schools. In the first most people didn't even realise when I left and in the second I was just lucky to stumble into a group of amazing weirdos. Being in top set probably helped because smart people are often different. I'm still young though so who knows what the future holds. Hopefully it's good because I've stopped trying to seem as normal and so have people genuinely liking me.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 10:38 am

If only........... but then again why ...... neurosis ,is keeping doing the same thing over and and expecting something to change ? a friend is ..........INSERT NEUROSIS OF YOUR CHOICE HERE ..........
ADDS a little sigh here . But still would be nice ? :|

where ever you go ,there you are

Dimples123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Oct 2019, 12:45 pm

I think NT's just make more friends than autistics.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 6:32 pm

Oversimplified stereotype

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 7:25 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
People sometimes like me from the outset, but as soon as they see how odd and troubled I am, they run for the hills. I can make friends but just can't keep 'em, unless I'm bringing alcohol and drugs to the party, then I'm okay.

Awe crud seen that for years in my life too ..enuff was enuff .. now, wonder how the world actually operates in the ways it does .

where ever you go ,there you are