Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Apr 2007, 2:08 pm

Sopho_soph wrote:
SarahR wrote:
I also automatically group things, but I tend to group them in anything that will make them come out even (2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, 10s); so long as there aren't things left over if I can help it.

I don't mind having numbers left over as long as it's 3. Whereas if I had four groups of 5 and then one left over that would annoy me. That's why I don't like numbers like 11 and 21
I don't know why I like numbers so much though because I didn't like maths in school.

I have this thing about prime numbers. Maybe it's because they like are us on the spectrum,
something is missing or something stands out, their relationship to other numbers is very complex,
our relationship to other people is sometimes complicated.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... &start=870

Last edited by richie on 06 Apr 2007, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 2:10 pm

By the way, there are two famous Peter Marshalls I know.

The one American Peter Marshall was the original host of what we call "Hollywood Squares" (you all call it Celebrity Squares in England.)

The other British Peter Marshall was one of the hosts of the British version of "Sale of the Century."

Come to find out, they are two totally different people.

Our Peter Marshall had a movie trivia game show called "Reel To Reel" 9 years ago, and he is so old that he wasn't even thinking about reading numbers correctly and misread a team's score quite often.

That's where my comment about counting in fives came from!

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 2:27 pm

I count a lot. I will go to sleep by associating type numbers with counting: like: "51 - Mustang, 52 - Bomber, 53 - year I was born, 54 - Car 54 Where are You? . . ."

If one foot falls onto a crack, then I must make the other foot do so as well, and same part of the foot: toe, ball, arch, heel.

I will find the period of repetition in thingslike walpaper ang calculate the roller diameter that printed it.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 2:50 pm

I count everything. I will sit there and count brocks or steps or anything. I see patterns everywhere. NUMBERS ARE COOL!! !!

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 3:00 pm

hyper_alien wrote:
I count everything. I will sit there and count brocks or steps or anything. I see patterns everywhere. NUMBERS ARE COOL!! !!

I see patterns everywhere as well. I don't like too many obvious patterns though, which is why I prefer walls with one colour instead of patterned wallpaper

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 3:16 pm

This clip is great, speaking of counting! It is from circa the late '70s.

I wonder how many people have not seen it.

I'm sure people all over the world (England, Australia and a whole bunch of other people have.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 3:27 pm

Sopho_soph wrote:
I count everything and always have done: syllables when people are talking, beats in songs, steps when I'm walking up the stairs (I can still remember how many stairs there were in certain parts of my high school etc.) and I particularly like counting in fives for some reason. I can't work out whether this is a good thing or not though because sometimes it's relaxing whereas other times it's just irritating, especially in the car, driving past so many other cars and lines on the road to count... Maybe I've just got used to counting because it calms me down. Does anybody else do this?

That sounds exactly like me. Spooky. 8O

I have an unexplained attraction to silent movies (they play one at 11 central every sunday on TCM). Whenever they put up the screen where they show the words written out I always try to count the number of words and the number of letters and try to calculate how close the lines could be arranged to be symmetrical.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 3:39 pm

I'd forgotten I used to do this until I read this topic. As a kid I would count everything I saw, if I was in a car, pylons, cows in a field, the number of red cars, blue cars etc. People in queues, birds on the bird-table, my own footsteps...oh how could I forget this? Well, it was a long time ago. I remember also that groups of things felt better if they were even, odd numbers of things made me feel uneasy.

This has connected me with some old memories, a little Aspie kid, happily counting and 'putting things in order' that's what the counting felt like.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 3:42 pm

GoatOnFire wrote:
That sounds exactly like me. Spooky. 8O

I have an unexplained attraction to silent movies (they play one at 11 central every sunday on TCM). Whenever they put up the screen where they show the words written out I always try to count the number of words and the number of letters and try to calculate how close the lines could be arranged to be symmetrical.

I don't count letters but I count words a lot, mainly when the writing's just on a few separate lines, like a list; I don't do it if I'm reading a book or an entire page of writing.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 3:42 pm

If any of you have heard of "Float On," a song that reached #1 in the UK that was by a grup called The Floaters, the "Sesame Street" guys turned it into "Gimme Five," made it less about romance and more about counting.

Isn't that a fun way to learn?

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 3:47 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
If any of you have heard of "Float On," a song that reached #1 in the UK that was by a grup called The Floaters, the "Sesame Street" guys turned it into "Gimme Five," made it less about romance and more about counting.

Isn't that a fun way to learn?

I live in the UK but I haven't heard that song I don't think. I never know what's number one though so I might have heard it and not realised :D

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 4:05 pm

The original tune went something like, "Hi, I'm Larry and I want a woman who's..."

The romantic reference was removed on Sesame Street to reflect learning.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 4:23 pm

'Float On' is on my favorite CD compilation. It always makes me smile, and is soothing. Get it from LimeWire.

I count when I'm stressed and it really helps me relax. I've never been that into numbers - I'm more of a letter/word gal. Ever since I can remember I see/say words backwards in my head - then I echolaliate (sp?) the backwards word.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 4:30 pm

aylissa wrote:
'Float On' is on my favorite CD compilation. It always makes me smile, and is soothing. Get it from LimeWire.

I count when I'm stressed and it really helps me relax. I've never been that into numbers - I'm more of a letter/word gal. Ever since I can remember I see/say words backwards in my head - then I echolaliate (sp?) the backwards word.

When I was younger I used to have words in my head constantly, then I'd have to write them on my finger with my thrumb (not actually writing it but something like that), then count the syllables in it and write down whatever that number was the same way. I'd end up repeatin this for quite a while.
I used to read a lot from quite an early age as well so I'm probably more into letter/words as well

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 4:31 pm

Whoever that Larry guy was, he realized that it was only a song.

When the Sesame Street guys sang it, they changed it and turned it into "Gimme Five."

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 4:32 pm

Wait!

Is this the same "Float On" by The Floaters?