Just had my first good interview, I think

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2015, 2:43 pm

So there was a lot of back and forth during the interview, lots of smiles and laughs and things seemed humorous. I made an extra effort to be sociable. It's a retail clothing and appliance store and I was applying to work in Stock. I sell things online so I got to talk a lot about that. Overall it was very laid back.

I really couldn't make eye contact. It was extremely difficult. I kept focusing on two interesting paintings on the wall. I hope that didn't take points off. I tried eye contact but I just couldn't hold it.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2015, 9:29 pm

Scanner wrote:
So there was a lot of back and forth during the interview, lots of smiles and laughs and things seemed humorous. I made an extra effort to be sociable. It's a retail clothing and appliance store and I was applying to work in Stock. I sell things online so I got to talk a lot about that. Overall it was very laid back.

I really couldn't make eye contact. It was extremely difficult. I kept focusing on two interesting paintings on the wall. I hope that didn't take points off. I tried eye contact but I just couldn't hold it.

Congratulations, I hope you get the job!

WyoViking
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2015, 9:37 pm

Guess it's a little late now, but when I can't make eye contact, I will stare in between the eyes or forehead.

I'm huge into Military history and PC gaming, I also hike a lot.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 9:28 am

Sounds like you may have gotten it! Let us know!

Trying to make eye contact might have been good enough. You wouldn't have wanted to bore your eyes into their souls either.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 12:38 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
Sounds like you may have gotten it! Let us know!

Trying to make eye contact might have been good enough. You wouldn't have wanted to bore your eyes into their souls either.

Some years back as a psych student I compiled a set of studies that in aggregate compared:
1. amount of eye contact
2. perceived aggressiveness of interviewee
3. interviewer's Myers-Briggs
4. position offered
5. success or fail from the interviewee's POV (ie did they get the job)

Basically, the results were somewhat common sensical in that for jobs that require following directions with low autonomy, appearing submissive-but-competent was the successful tact, while those that need autonomy and blustering (ie sales) rewarded a much more aggressive stance. The interesting thing to me as an Aspie was that once you get to the "aggressive = good" level it gets really tricky to measure as there are so many more variables to account for. Too aggressive / dominant and the interviewer feels threatened; too little and they don't feel you are "competitive" enough; you become incompetent in their eyes. People who did well at that end of the scale had extremely fine tuned social skills as they had to immediately and dynamically assess the interviewer with every interaction. And for the most successful (ie best match) it appeared to be completely unconscious/unintentional.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 12:45 pm

Sounds like your interview went well, so congratulations. I worked for a company that provided stocking services for local retailers when I was in college. It's a great job for someone on the spectrum because there is limited customer interaction and it calls for someone who can focus and do things logically. Good luck!

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2015, 10:53 pm

It's been a couple days now. She was suppose to post the job online so I could apply and then I'm to call her as soon as i apply. It hasn't been put up yet so I'm calling tomorrow which is a little nerve racking. I'm not sure what to say