Bad spelling and grammar on dating sites

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 3:57 am

I notice some people on dating sites and apps have bad grammar and spelling. Sometimes it's so bad I can't understand them. I now know a way to nag them about their bad spelling and grammar without being negative. If they ask what I do for fun I tell them I'm an author.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 4:58 am

I'm pretty sure proper spelling and grammar is a major turn-off for many.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 8:12 am

A lot of people complain about horrible grammar on these sites. Some women will instantly reject someone for that. It irritates me too. I'm not the best writer but I still try my best to use correct grammar and punctuation, even in texts.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 8:14 am

Most bad grammar is the product either of a lack of typing ability or laziness.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 8:27 am

"Human mistakes" and writing style should be foregiveable...

What I've noticed is that being on either extreme has it's negatives.
Write incoherent nonsense, nobody understands and you must be stupid.
Write 100% flawlessly, good choice of words, put a dot every time and you're an arrogant know-it-all (must be!)... ^^

OddballBen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Oct 2015, 8:45 am

Whenever I'm reading dating profiles, people who use perfect grammar (like using the word 'whom') sound overly prim and proper. People who don't take the time to write out words or use the wrong homophone (srsly, their evrywhere on dating sights) just come off as dumb. I think conversational English (sometimes at the expense of proper grammar) with decent spelling is the best approach.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 8:52 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Most bad grammar is the product either of a lack of typing ability or laziness.

Why not defiance to rules they never agreed to?

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

KoffeeKrazee
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Oct 2015, 10:21 am

DevilKisses wrote:
I notice some people on dating sites and apps have bad grammar and spelling. Sometimes it's so bad I can't understand them. I now know a way to nag them about their bad spelling and grammar without being negative. If they ask what I do for fun I tell them I'm an author.

I'm sure correcting the spelling and grammar of their profiles is a total turn-on. What girl wouldn't want to be nagged like a fifth grader?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 1:18 pm

Or despite how hard they try they just suck at it. :(

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Oct 2015, 1:20 pm

The bad spelling & grammar doesn't bother me but I s#ck at it due to dyslexia & a tremor disorder that can act up when typing. My 1st girlfriend also had dyslexia & ADD & she s#cked at it too but we communicated really well & her typing was really hyper which I found fun & cute. I tend to dislike people who are perfect because they tend to be judgmental & critical of me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 1:39 pm

I always tried to give the benefit of the doubt, having a mother with a learning disability, but I cannot stand bad grammar and spelling, particularly due to laziness. Seem to be a generational thing because there was a very clear correlation between age and grammar. What I hated among anything else was when I would write a paragraph, ask a detail question and would get a one sentence answer with no punctuation. These are native speakers: there's no excuse for not capitalizing and using periods, end of story. Imagine writing a cover letter just saying 'i want u 2 hire me'.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 2:10 pm

KoffeeKrazee wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

I'm sure correcting the spelling and grammar of their profiles is a total turn-on. What girl wouldn't want to be nagged like a fifth grader?

I don't correct their grammar and spelling. I just mention I do writing for fun.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 2:22 pm

I really don't care too much. I just want to understand what I'm reading. I don't correct people. I'm not perfect, either.