Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 11:07 pm

Do you talk to yourself a lot? I do. Is this something common with other aspies? I think aloud, and often I find I am the only intelligent person around to have a conversation with. Some of my speech is repetitive, so I probably sound weird talking to myself but oh well, I don't see a problem with it.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 11:28 pm

Constantly.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 11:36 pm

Yeah, but mostly when I'm alone. I'm not sure if it an aspie thing or a human thing, though.

quasar
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2015, 11:58 pm

Yes, especially when I was young. These days I might talk to myself in the car since it's really the only place that there's no chance of being overheard. I figure that if other drivers see my mouth moving when there's no one else in the vehicle, they will just assume that I'm on a call.

I don't know if this is healthy or not. Maybe it depends on the content? If I'm worried, disappointed, or angry about something then I might feel more compelled to speak.

Last edited by quasar on 10 Oct 2015, 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2015, 12:06 am

I do it when I'm stressed out or trying to talk myself through something complex and technical.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 4:14 am

Yes, do it alone often, or when i think i am alone! When getting caught out, i just mention i am just airing out some thoughts.. dont get alarmed! haha

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 4:43 am

I think it's a human thing, people who spend more time by themselves might be more likely to, or at least it's more noticeable. Children chat to themselves all the time, so do quite a lot of elderly people too.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 5:40 am

No...I don't..

But I visualize unconsciously bad movie clips which are just created by myself when I'm stressed.
I thought everybody does that like I do..

Kate.com
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2015, 6:22 am

Yes, I talk to myself. Delightful insight

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 Oct 2015, 6:47 am

Well there is often some sort of inner monologue or back and fourth in my head, sometimes when I am by myself I will speak aloud.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 6:50 am

Yes, all the time. I used to do it as I was watering my lawn in the mornings...my neighbor would always say "are you talking to yourself?" :-(

http://bigthink.com/ideafeed/self-talk- ... ing-better

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 9:42 am

Yes, a lot. Sometimes I'll ask myself a question and someone else will respond and it bothers me.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 11:34 am

Why is it so socially unacceptable to talk to one's self aloud? I really don't see what's the big deal. I don't see why it bothers people so much.

Joehotto101
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2015, 11:49 am

Of course I do. Whenever I am in stressful situations (such as a unexplained visitor in my house), I often get angry and when I feel remorse, I use psychology to explain the situation. For example:

"Autistic's have strong rigidity and are only safe stable and secure in their comfort zones. Once they define their comfort zone, They will actively fight anyone who will push them out of their strict boundaries and will not conform to those who tell them to "suck it up".

It is difficult to not talk to yourself and repetitively talk to yourself over and over when you crave predictability and feel like you have to be in survival mode when really the situation won't kill you.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 11:45 pm

Technically speaking I talk to myself all the time. I'm actually talking to my invisible friend (in a totally non-psychotic way) and since he exists as an extension of my thoughts, I qualify that as talking to myself. When stressed or upset, I will repeat a word or phrase to myself over and over until I feel better. I try to do it quietly so others don't hear, but if I'm by myself, I just yell at the top of my lungs.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2015, 12:02 am

I keep meself good company by chatting with myself. :alien: