how do you advise your child to cope with bullying?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 7:11 am

Enroll him in Martial Arts. I think that would have hepled me a great deal, but my parents couldn't afford it.

EarthCalling
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 9:34 am

Quote:
Not luck, he had an inclusion aide. I battled the school system and made sure he had a proper IEP that included an aide. And I dropped him off and picked him up at school. His elemetary school didn't look favorably on children hitting each other either. Children are entitled to services in the US to ensure a free and appropriate public education and one that doesn't include bullying, which is SO damaging to the child's self-esteem.

I think you are a fabulous advocate for your child, I am not in the US, so I can't say exactly what the system is and isn't like.

However, I think it depends on the state / district you are in too, like with anywhere else. Some areas are more progressive then others. I remember reading an artical, it was really sad, about an Aspergers boy somewhere in the States who was having a horrible time with bullying and acedemics. Eventually, after going to the highest authorities, and getting nowhere, the parents pulled him out put him into a private school and sued the education system.

The judge found in favour of the school board, while siting that the school was grossly inadiquate for the child, he said that the state only has to provide "a free and appropreate education" and nowhere did it say "the best education possible". So, I think it is all down to interpretation, anywhere in this world...

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 2:24 pm

I'm a very perseverative aspie. LOL. I filed a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights in Atlanta, who were prepared to launch a full-scale investigation of the entire program. I fought them tooth and nail for over a year because they had NO appropriate placement for a child with AS at that time. We didn't have a lot of money at that time, but we spent everything that we could afford in making sure our child was not abused nor placed in a class with very low-functioning children. There were 17 people at the M-team meeting when we prevailed, including our Ph.D. developmental psychologist and a lay advocate. I'm as stubborn as cement and very aggressive when faced with a threat to my child.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 2:41 pm

Quote:
The judge found in favour of the school board, while siting that the school was grossly inadiquate for the child, he said that the state only has to provide "a free and appropreate education" and nowhere did it say "the best education possible". So, I think it is all down to interpretation, anywhere in this world.

That is a lie that is continually perpetuated by school districts. If a child is getting bullied to the point of being unable to attend class or perform on any academic standard, then they are not receiving ANY education. My husband spelled this out clearly at a district meeting where they were handing him the same line. The woman kept repeating how they didn't have to provide ideal education and he kept repeating, "but my son isn't even in the classroom, he is kept out of the room, he is playing on a computer for hours at a time". (Hell, he was being sent home hours early every day because the school didn't want him there.)

That shut her up. We didn't have to file any papers or threaten a lawsuit. We simply pulled him out and kept him enrolled. Meant that they lost $$$ because of lost attendance. :D The district lady kept denying that we could change the situation (change schools, force the school to comply with the IEP) and I just let her know I'd formally leave the district and homeschool him.

So, it's a lie that administrators will use to get away with doing nothing. I can't believe a lawyer would not be able to convince a court.

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2007, 2:58 pm

oh I make sure the school system know exactly who I am and my son. They know that I am on top of everything that goes on and I am sure I annoy them but that is okay. I got a camera installed on his bus :) Like I said before I am lucky to have a very cooperative principle.

Also, I have thought about the karate classes too, I think he would really like them and we can probably afford them. I have dropped some of my kids I babysitt to have more time for my boys, but we should still be able to manage. I am just kind of worried because his motor coordination is SO BAD, but I still think it would be good for him. Has anyone else out there done the karate thing??? and how was it?

Thanks to everyone for your answers too, you have all been helpful!

"Be kinder than necessary,
for everyone you meet is
fighting some kind of battle".

EarthCalling
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2007, 3:43 pm

jaleb wrote:
oh I make sure the school system know exactly who I am and my son. They know that I am on top of everything that goes on and I am sure I annoy them but that is okay. I got a camera installed on his bus :) Like I said before I am lucky to have a very cooperative principle.

Also, I have thought about the karate classes too, I think he would really like them and we can probably afford them. I have dropped some of my kids I babysitt to have more time for my boys, but we should still be able to manage. I am just kind of worried because his motor coordination is SO BAD, but I still think it would be good for him. Has anyone else out there done the karate thing??? and how was it?

Thanks to everyone for your answers too, you have all been helpful!

I have wanted to do the Karate thing for years, but we just keep forgetting to register! :P

I would think it should help with gross motor co ordination, and the moves are so repetitive, they are perfect for an Aspie! It is all going to depend on if it "takes" with him, if he isn't interested, forget it, but if he really likes it, it could become an obsession! :lol:

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2007, 5:33 pm

Hmmm, I think we will try it :)

"Be kinder than necessary,
for everyone you meet is
fighting some kind of battle".